British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I'm confused... car registration?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/im-confused-car-registration-525767/)

NannyAnn Mar 31st 2008 2:03 pm

I'm confused... car registration??

Ok, so I thought we had all the car stuff sorted. But now I'm worried. We bought a Ford Explorer before Christmas, and the guy who we bought it from (we selected it with him at a huge car auction site) took it to be inspected. He gave it to us with plates and the small yellow sticker on the front windscreen.

We got insurnace with geico, and I thought... all was well.

However just went to someones house who has recently bought a second hand car, and noticed a 'registration card' letter attached to her pin board. I don't recall ever having a registration card - is this something seperate we should have done as well as the inspection??

We are in New Jersey. Really worried as I sometimes work as a nanny and have children in the car, so rally need it to be correctly set up. Been on the dmv website, but that has just confused me more...

Any help very gratefully recieved :)

Poppy girl Mar 31st 2008 2:09 pm

Re: I'm confused... car registration??

Originally Posted by NannyAnn (Post 6136869)
Ok, so I thought we had all the car stuff sorted. But now I'm worried. We bought a Ford Explorer before Christmas, and the guy who we bought it from (we selected it with him at a huge car auction site) took it to be inspected. He gave it to us with plates and the small yellow sticker on the front windscreen.

However just went to someones house who has recently bought a second hand car, and noticed a 'registration card' letter attached to her pin board. I don't recall ever having a registration card - is this something seperate we should have done as well as the inspection??

We are in New Jersey. Really worried as I sometimes work as a nanny and have children in the car, so rally need it to be correctly set up. Been on the dmv website, but that has just confused me more...

The car has to be registered in your name call the guy and get the document if the cops stop you they will ask for it.

Call DMV and make sure the car is in your name they may not tell you who's name it is in but they will tell you if its yours or not.

This situtation happened to me I bought a convertible in Sac but it came from the bay area and the guy that sold it to me was the middle man took 3 months to get the damn registration doc.

NannyAnn Mar 31st 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6136902)
The car has to be registered in your name call the guy and get the document if the cops stop you they will ask for it.

Call DMV and make sure the car is in your name they may not tell you who's name it is in but they will tell you if its yours or not.

This situtation happened to me I bought a convertible in Sac but it came from the bay area and the guy that sold it to me was the middle man took 3 months to get the damn registration doc.

Thanks, I'm on the phone now... current waiting time is 12 minutes apparently. Will let you know the outcome :-)

Poppy girl Mar 31st 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by NannyAnn (Post 6136946)
Thanks, I'm on the phone now... current waiting time is 12 minutes apparently. Will let you know the outcome :-)

Yes please do.

I hope you have the contact details for this chap and the bill of sale etc.
The slip you need sits in your dash board draw and has your name on it don't confuse it with the car ownership document.

NannyAnn Mar 31st 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6136964)
Yes please do.

I hope you have the contact details for this chap and the bill of sale etc.
The slip you need sits in your dash board draw and has your name on it don't confuse it with the car ownership document.

Still on hold...
The only thing we have in the dashboard drawer is the insurance id card, so sounds like we might not have what we need. Yes, have the bill of sale amd all contact details for the guy who sold it to us.

I wait with baited breathe...

Jerseygirl Mar 31st 2008 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by NannyAnn (Post 6136869)

Cars are not sold with plates. When you sell a car the plates must be handed in to the DMV. When you buy a car it shouldn't have plates...it will have a temporary paper one stuck in the back window. You receive the new plates from the DMV within a couple of weeks.

Poppy girl Mar 31st 2008 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by NannyAnn (Post 6136981)
Still on hold...
The only thing we have in the dashboard drawer is the insurance id card, so sounds like we might not have what we need. Yes, have the bill of sale amd all contact details for the guy who sold it to us.

So am I lol even if he has lost the documents you can go to DMV and they will transfer the title to you with proof of sale papers.

basementwaj Mar 31st 2008 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by NannyAnn (Post 6136981)
Still on hold...

i hope you havent been screwed by the auction dude!

Did you not pay the tax on the car when it was registered?

Poppy girl Mar 31st 2008 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6136988)
Cars are not sold with plates. When you sell a car the plates must be handed in to the DMV. When you buy a car it shouldn't have plates...it will have a temporary paper one stuck in the back window. You receive the new plates from the DMV within a couple of weeks.

They are in California bought my old convert with plates and the title was transfered as long as the plates were still valid.

Actually my old VW Jetta same deal sold with plates.

Jerseygirl Mar 31st 2008 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 6136995)
i hope you havent been screwed by the auction dude!

Did you not pay the tax on the car when it was registered?

That's what I was thinking. Doesn't sound as though the car has been registered in her name...she's driving around with old plates.

To the OP if I'm right about the plates it's important you go to your local DMV and explain what's happened.

NannyAnn Mar 31st 2008 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6136998)
They are in California bought my old convert with plates and the title was transfered as long as the plates were still valid.

OK, I can breathe again... the car is registered with us, the guy on the phone was very helpful. He said we could go the local office and request a dulicate registration card... in the mean time I guess I could search through the mountains of paperwork here. I don't remember ever seeing it however, so its very strange.

We paid lots of bits and pieces when we bought the car, I couldn't remember what all the bits were.

Next on the list.. its due for an inspection in May, so i'm sure that will lots of fun and games.

Thanks so much for your help

NannyAnn Mar 31st 2008 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by NannyAnn (Post 6137018)
OK, I can breathe again... the car is registered with us, the guy on the phone was very helpful. He said we could go the local office and request a dulicate registration card... in the mean time I guess I could search through the mountains of paperwork here. I don't remember ever seeing it however, so its very strange.

We paid lots of bits and pieces when we bought the car, I couldn't remember what all the bits were.

Next on the list.. its due for an inspection in May, so i'm sure that will lots of fun and games.

The plates are new plates and are ours, the guy we bought it off got them for us a week or so after we bought it. It just the paperwork I was missing, I was unsure if the plates and registration were the same thing or not.

Anyway, all is well now. Thanks for all your replies x

Poppy girl Mar 31st 2008 2:35 pm

Cool thats what I was hoping would be the case, see panic over :D

basementwaj Mar 31st 2008 2:37 pm

tahts good... but it still sounds fishy... definately double check everything. You are supposed to go to the DMV to register the car and pay the taxes on it. Dealers will sometimes let you pay them the taxes, but you NEED the tax receipt to prove you have paid them.... as well as getting a 12 month tag.
There are now 60 day temp tags that are offered at the point of sale... but none of what you have said sound completely legit... i hope it all works out!

Jerseygirl Mar 31st 2008 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 6136998)

The OP is in NJ and it is a legal requirement to hand the plates into the DMV when a vehicle is sold.

It's all moot now anyway...I see she's sorted the problem out and they were in fact new plates.