Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I'm confused... car registration??

I'm confused... car registration??

Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm confused... car registration??

All this stuff you have to sort out just to buy a car sounds like another unnecessary headache to me.

Why does the US do EVERYTHING arse about face? I'm telling you I'll never get used to it all.....it's getting to me and I'm not even there yet.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Mar 31st 2008 at 8:49 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Sounds like another unnecessary headache to me.

Why does the US do EVERYTHING arse about face? I'm telling you I'll never get used to it all.....it's getting to me and I'm not even there yet.
Don't worry I've been here 12 years and still not used to it all.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the US do EVERYTHING arse about face?
Because it's not the UK and just because it's not the UK way doesn't make it ass about.. pretend you're moving to, oh I don't know, let's say Greece. Yes, they're an EU country and yes, everything is supposed to be "equal" but they have their own alphabet, own language, own customs, own different type of government and their own way of doing things. Would you still call them "wrong"?
It's called moving to a foreign country. Things just are different.

Since when is registering your newly bought car some onerous or unusual thing to do?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Since when is registering your newly bought car some onerous or unusual thing to do?
when you've got to deal with the DMV

though saying that, it's not something you ever have to do when in the UK so it is a bit alien as the plate stays with the car and all that.

One thing that might be worth doing, if you've a local insurance broker and they have a runner, get them so sort all the paper work, that's what our insurance bloke did, worth the $15 runner fee, that person got us our plates, registered the car and everything which is an all day event otherwise
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:34 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

All this stuff you have to sort out just to buy a car sounds like another unnecessary headache to me.

wait to you get here they don't even speak a recognisable form of English.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's not the UK and just because it's not the UK way doesn't make it ass about.. pretend you're moving to, oh I don't know, let's say Greece. Yes, they're an EU country and yes, everything is supposed to be "equal" but they have their own alphabet, own language, own customs, own different type of government and their own way of doing things. Would you still call them "wrong"?
It's called moving to a foreign country. Things just are different.

The problem is that most people think because the US and UK share the same language...well sort of ..that the lifestyle and culture will be the same. They watch American TV programs and films and think they are fully prepared for life here. I was one of them...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem is that most people think because the US and UK share the same language...well sort of ..that the lifestyle and culture will be the same. They watch American TV programs and films and think they are fully prepared for life here. I was one of them...
I don't think any amount of research could prepare a Brit for the DMV experience...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

the only thing we share is the same alphabet
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
the only thing we share is the same alphabet
Point of order, Ma'am: it's zed, not zeeeeeeeeee...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Point of order, Ma'am: it's zed, not zeeeeeeeeee...
ah now i didn't say pronunciation....just the actual letters.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think any amount of research could prepare a Brit for the DMV experience...
Well I don't know how, because he's no genius, but the DH managed to buy himself two used vehicles since he's been here and get them appropriately titled and registered. He even got customized plates for the El Camino, which he's very pleased about.
We must live in one of those simple states.

I guess I'll have to let lansbury's comment stand on its own.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

It's a painful experience for an American too.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

The opposite is true as well. I think most Americans think that Brits have some fun names for things (i.e. jumper instead of sweater, etc.) but that the differences are few. It's all a matter of exposure and experience isn't it?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't know how, because he's no genius, but the DH managed to buy himself two used vehicles since he's been here and get them appropriately titled and registered. He even got customized plates for the El Camino, which he's very pleased about.
We must live in one of those simple states.
It's a state thing, because it was a doddle doing that and cheap in Maine, but a complete major pain in the arse down here in Mass...and a normal plate it was as it's so much more expensive
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:05 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a state thing, because it was a doddle doing that and cheap in Maine, but a complete major pain in the arse down here in Mass...and a normal plate it was as it's so much more expensive
I have a vanity plate took 12 weeks to get here and cost $45 I thought that was quite cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.