Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Illinois - where to go/where to avoid?

Illinois - where to go/where to avoid?

Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:47 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illinois - where to go/where to avoid?

Originally Posted by Maz
Ditto several times over! Personally I've had it with the weather here scuppering all our plans to do stuff outside without making it a thoroughly miserable experience. (sorry if I'm putting you off!) This past winter it didn't get above -20C for six weeks. That was just a tad depressing...
I remember days in Illinois that were so cold that I would get almost instant frostbite when I took off my glove to open the car door and touched the handle. It stung for awhile. Then there were the days when the door handles froze and I couldn't get into the car. Joy.

btw, UK long underwear is pretty comfortable and soft (M&S made some nice ones). US long underwear kind of gives you the feeling of being a sausage. It is just as warm and fits under your clothes a little better, but it's a tight mesh that can clings like a pair of bicycle shorts sometimes. You migth want to sort it out before you leave.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:20 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I remember days in Illinois that were so cold that I would get almost instant frostbite when I took off my glove to open the car door and touched the handle. It stung for awhile. Then there were the days when the door handles froze and I couldn't get into the car. Joy.

btw, UK long underwear is pretty comfortable and soft (M&S made some nice ones). US long underwear kind of gives you the feeling of being a sausage. It is just as warm and fits under your clothes a little better, but it's a tight mesh that can clings like a pair of bicycle shorts sometimes. You migth want to sort it out before you leave.

There are many different kinds of long underwear here. Different thicknesses, different materials ranging from silk to wool with all kinds of plastic stuff in between. Check out Filson for wool, they're expensive but they will last for years, all of Filson's products are of the highest quality. For the others check the big hunting and fishing retailers like Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. The common "waffle knit" cotton long johns are not very good. Cotton holds moisture and will make you colder in the long run.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 6:13 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

In February I couldn't open my car boot for a month, it was frozen shut. Shopping was a joy with having to shove everything in the passenger seat and around daughter once she was in her car seat, I tell ya.

Originally Posted by penguinsix
US long underwear kind of gives you the feeling of being a sausage.
OK that made me - thank you!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Hi everyone

May I introduce myself. I am a 33 year old mother of one. My hubbie is being relocated through work to Chicago area - Buffalo Grove to be exact. He is out there now and we will follow once house is sold etc etc.
Luckily don't have any worries about paperwork/visas etc because his company is dealing with it all. My main concern is finding the right area to live and send my daughter to school.
Is there anyone out there that is familiar with Buffalo Grove and the surrounding area? And am I right in thinking that a 7yr old goes to an Elementary school? Currently she is going into year 3 in England, does this make her Grade 3 in the States?
I would be very grateful of any information anyone can give. I will be visiting the States in a couple of weeks so would appreciate a bit of a headstart from people in the know!!

Many thanks
Not sure what age you folks are but here's one thing - Buffalo Grove isn't really a "town" at all. Like lots of the areas mentioned in this thread its basically a suburb of Chicago and these can, in of themselves, be quite soulless and depressing places.
Of those mentioned Arlington Heights has a nice town centre - more in the British sense with shops, etc all within walking distance of each other plus it is on one of the metra lines that can get you downtown in about 40 minutes for next to nothing. Also the commute to Buffalo Grove shouldn't be too bad from there.
If you are going to move to a suburb that leaves your husband with much of a commute maybe look at some of the nice neighbourhoods downtown. You'll def find it much easier to settle in down there if you aren't going to be working yourself. It takes a certain breed to live in the 'burbs imo.

Good luck with the move
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all your helpful replies.

Must admit I'm a bit concerned having read all your reports about the cold winters - thermal underwear!! That was something I hadn't thought I would need to think about until i was in my 60's!!

Right, so it gets really cold then! Really, really cold! Can i ask how the houses are heated? Because every photo I see on the internet doesn't appear to show radiators as i know them? And if it really gets that cold, are houses really hard (or expensive) to heat?

Thankyou to BigDavyG - i will investigate Arlington Heights. To be honest we hadn't considered Chicago itself - for some reason the idea of moving into a big city scares me a bit - I feel like there would be a bit more of a community feeling in a smaller town than in a big city where I would feel like a little fish in a big sea! I notice that alot of the areas I research on the internet call themselves villages - whereas in actual fact they are more like large towns if compared to something similar in England! I think it's going to take alot of getting used to!

Thanks to Penguinsix about the school info. There are alot of differences. I am a bit concerned, its surprising how many people have said to me that English educated children seem to be alot brighter than their equivalent peers in the American system. My daughter is very bright for her age (well i would say that wouldn't I!) and I would hate for her to become bored and lazy if placed amongst slightly less intellectual children. Also the emphasis in American schools seems to be very much on sports and my daughter hates sports! MMMmmm... this move is going to be veerrry interesting methinks!!!

Anyway i am flying over to Chicago in two weeks to see for myself and try and look at as many areas as poss - incidentally, if the schools are still closed for the summer holidays, does this mean i probably won't be able to visit them formally?

Oh so many questions, so many worries! Pass me some prozac someone please!!

Thankyou once again for everyones help. This site is a godsend!!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I'm a bit concerned having read all your reports about the cold winters - thermal underwear!! That was something I hadn't thought I would need to think about until i was in my 60's!!

Right, so it gets really cold then! Really, really cold! Can i ask how the houses are heated? Because every photo I see on the internet doesn't appear to show radiators as i know them? And if it really gets that cold, are houses really hard (or expensive) to heat?

Thankyou to BigDavyG - i will investigate Arlington Heights. To be honest we hadn't considered Chicago itself - for some reason the idea of moving into a big city scares me a bit - I feel like there would be a bit more of a community feeling in a smaller town than in a big city where I would feel like a little fish in a big sea! I notice that alot of the areas I research on the internet call themselves villages - whereas in actual fact they are more like large towns if compared to something similar in England! I think it's going to take alot of getting used to!

Thanks to Penguinsix about the school info. There are alot of differences. I am a bit concerned, its surprising how many people have said to me that English educated children seem to be alot brighter than their equivalent peers in the American system. My daughter is very bright for her age (well i would say that wouldn't I!) and I would hate for her to become bored and lazy if placed amongst slightly less intellectual children. Also the emphasis in American schools seems to be very much on sports and my daughter hates sports! MMMmmm... this move is going to be veerrry interesting methinks!!!

Anyway i am flying over to Chicago in two weeks to see for myself and try and look at as many areas as poss - incidentally, if the schools are still closed for the summer holidays, does this mean i probably won't be able to visit them formally?

Oh so many questions, so many worries! Pass me some prozac someone please!!

Thankyou once again for everyones help. This site is a godsend!!!
We nearly moved to Chicago...we spent 2 weeks doing a rekkie. I agree with Davy about the 'burbs...this was in '95 so it's probably worse now. Mile upon mile of flat endless housing estates...everbody's life seemed to centre around church. We had an 11 yr old therefore we didn't want to live downtown.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:49 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Er... how much exactly do you know about Chicago? Have you ever been to Siberia?

Right, so it gets really cold then! Really, really cold!
Mind numbingly, Arctic-blast, lungs bursting cold, and I'm from New England.
Can i ask how the houses are heated? Because every photo I see on the internet doesn't appear to show radiators as i know them? And if it really gets that cold, are houses really hard (or expensive) to heat?
Forced hot air, mostly natural gas heated. An good house is extremely well insulated, so it's not that expensive.

Thankyou to BigDavyG - i will investigate Arlington Heights.
A very nice town and right next to Buffalo Grove. But the Chicago suburbs are hard core suburbs, most of them are more "sprawling bedroom communities" than unique towns.
To be honest we hadn't considered Chicago itself - for some reason the idea of moving into a big city scares me a bit - I feel like there would be a bit more of a community feeling in a smaller town than in a big city where I would feel like a little fish in a big sea!
Chicago is famous for being a "city of neighborhoods". each neighborhood has a unique flavor, unique things going on the summer and strong community bonds. You can find faceless high-rise living (why would you want to), but Chicago has more than that...
I notice that alot of the areas I research on the internet call themselves villages - whereas in actual fact they are more like large towns if compared to something similar in England! I think it's going to take alot of getting used to!
Dispose of any notion of "village" you may have.

Thanks to Penguinsix about the school info. There are alot of differences. I am a bit concerned, its surprising how many people have said to me that English educated children seem to be alot brighter than their equivalent peers in the American system. My daughter is very bright for her age (well i would say that wouldn't I!) and I would hate for her to become bored and lazy if placed amongst slightly less intellectual children.:
Here we go again.:curse: What, are all British expats handed out mandatory copies of "All Americans are Complete Dumasses" by the Editors of the Guardian upon obtaining a visa?
Also the emphasis in American schools seems to be very much on sports and my daughter hates sports! MMMmmm... this move is going to be veerrry interesting methinks!!!
Definitely the case, but at six, it's not exactly taken seriously.

Schools will definitely be closed. Also, now's a great time to see the place, if a little misleading. Summers here are generally terrific and with the lakefront, you could almost be in Miami... (I can pretend, right?).

Last edited by Hiro11; Jul 30th 2007 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:54 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
...everbody's life seemed to centre around church.
This was truly surprising to me even as an American. Essentially no one on the East Coast (where I'm from, talk to Tonrob) goes to church. In the Chicago burbs, most people here seem to. It's definitely the Bible belt. Howver, I've never met a hard-core fundie here, most people are low-key about religon.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:56 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As you read the threads you'll realize that while your child is ahead is some things, they are behind in others. While I'm sure everyone you've talk to in the UK feels UK students are better educated, you'll have to judge for yourself when you arrive.

Your kids really haven't a clue in American history, and math and sciences will be taught differently and confusing. Any European history they've learned will be irrelevant for several years. PE is about as much physical sports they'll have (a required course) as they don't really get going in school sports until about 5th grade or so (though there are plenty of out of school sports teams). They'll be marked down on their spelling should they write 'Defence' instead of 'Defense' and a list of other things. They'll also be shorter/taller/younger/older than their peers in their class, and that can also lead to feelings of alienation (on top of their accent). I'd urge you to go over carefully the curriculum for the school district and assess with the principal and counselor where they should place your child. Emotional maturity will be as highly regarded as academic development.

Be sure to get all the papers together from their old schools--especially immunization records. If they haven't had all their shots, they'll be sitting at home with you watching Oprah, no ifs, ands or buts.... If you are planning a move (see other threads on what to do first) I'd recommend doing all the paperwork first. It can take the longest and you don't want to end up having to rush school officials in the UK while they are on Summer holiday to find things.

As for heating, you'll either be gas or electric. Natural gas heathers will heat water that is pumped through baseboard heaters that usually run the length of the room. Gas is provided underground, except in very very rural areas where it stored onsite in a big tank (doubtful you'll be in one of those situations). Electric, sometimes a heat pump, will pull hot air from outside and blow it inside, with an emergency gas or electric fired heater for those really cold days (of which you will have many).

Heat pumps are nice (cool in the summer, hot in the winter) but generally you only find them in houses that are about...hmm... < 15 years old maybe?

Most new building codes have a required amount of insulation that needs to be in the roofs, so again a more modern home may likely have more insulation. You may also want to look at the windows of the home you are going to stay in--good tight seal, double glazed, storm windows. Good southern exposure to let the Sun in during the Summer.

Chicago really is a collection of different areas. You can have that suburban feel in many areas, i.e. talk to neighbors, school plays, etc. Eventhough some places may be called 'village' don't think its anything like a village you've seen. It's usually done for legal reasons (village vs. city) to lower taxes and city expenses, not as a way to describe the area.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:56 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Long underwear can be kind of bulky, my Wife has a friend in Chicago who say most women there wear fur underwear, something like in the picture.There are colder places than Chicago, besides, the summers will make you miss the winter! Anyway, you'll get used to it. We heat our house with a woodburning stove. Nice and warm, free (for me) and splitting wood is great exercise! We're not far from Chicago, about 5 hours drive to the Southwest.

Sometimes a good tightly knit city neighborhood will feel more like a small village than some of the newer subdivisions...

Are all Brit children above average?

Anyway i am flying over to Chicago in two weeks to see for myself and try and look at as many areas as poss - incidentally, if the schools are still closed for the summer holidays, does this mean i probably won't be able to visit them formally?!
Check ahead, some staff and faculty might be showing up around that time to prepare for the year.

Chicago is a great place, I think a lot of Brits are happy there.
Attached Thumbnails Illinois - where to go/where to avoid?-me2266crossfoxbikinifront.jpg  
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This was truly surprising to me even as an American. Essentially no one on the East Coast (where I'm from, talk to Tonrob) goes to church. In the Chicago burbs, most people here seem to. It's definitely the Bible belt. Howver, I've never met a hard-core fundie here, most people are low-key about religon.
We made the mistake of viewing model homes over Easter weekend...every realtor tried to railroad us into attending the next church service with them. Couldn't get out of the place fast enough.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Glen Ellyn Service Crew will become famous soon enough

Glen Ellyn is a great place to live, I have been here over 3 years and there is not a day that goes by that I don't thank my luck that I ended up living here. Every season is beautiful here, I love it.

Last edited by Glen Ellyn Service Crew; Jul 30th 2007 at 9:32 pm. Reason: Spelling, wish I never got expelled now!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 9:54 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I will be visiting the States in a couple of weeks
Just spotted this. Bring sunscreen. Lots of it. Very high SPF (I wear 50). You'll get cooked outside in summer. Bring a white, large-brimmed hat, too. And UV-resistant sunglasses.

Spring and autumn last about 2 months combined. You might get used to it, you might not. Personally I've had enough of hiding in the AC in summer, and in the heating in winter. To each their own.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Once again thanks for all your help. 'Fraid to say I may have to become a regular on this site now our move has become a goer!

Penguinsix - am really grateful to you for all your info. I did wonder about what you said about childhood immunizations. The only immunizations children have over here are the standard course as babies and then mmr at age 2. What immunizations are required at American schools? By the way my daughter had chickenpox last month so thankfully we've got that out of the way! Will she need to have anything else? (Coz if she will - she ain't gonna be happy! )

Hi Maz - I burn easily so will defo get high factor sun cream. I can't wait - hope it lives up to all my expectations!!!! Not sure how much area I can cover in a week - but I'll try my level best...
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:22 pm

Penguinsix - am really grateful to you for all your info. I did wonder about what you said about childhood immunizations. The only immunizations children have over here are the standard course as babies and then mmr at age 2. What immunizations are required at American schools? By the way my daughter had chickenpox last month so thankfully we've got that out of the way! Will she need to have anything else? (Coz if she will - she ain't gonna be happy! )
I think this list is accurate. It's from Bloomington (downstate) but the laws of Illinois require the same for all students. You can check with the school during your visit (they will give you a list). Best to get them done in the UK where it doesn't cost as much.

http://www.district87.org/immunizations.html

Chicken Pox (or had Chicken pox)
DPT (Diptheria, Pertussis, Tetanus)
Polio
Measles
Mumps/Rubella
Physical Exam
Lead Screening

Dental Exam (by 2nd grade)

Hepatitis B (by 5th grade)

Physical Exam (5th Grade)
Dental Exam 2 (by 6th grade)

Tetanus (DPT) booster (by 9th grade)
Physical Exam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.