Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Illinois - where to go/where to avoid?

Illinois - where to go/where to avoid?

Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:05 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illinois - where to go/where to avoid?

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Hi again

Great information from you all. Especially about the property taxes. The American credit system and way of doing things seems like an absolute minefield to the unaccustomed. Still, I'm sure I'll get my head around it eventually!

Dave2702's post mentioned Buffalo Grove being a desirable area - the price of the area is not really a problem to be honest, its the schooling that concerns me... Now I'm not really sure how to say this, without somehow sounding racist or religionist (if you know what i mean) and can I just say that I am in no way, shape of form racist or religionist! But my husband has been led to believe that Buffalo Grove is a very concentrated close-knit Jewish community, very difficult for a non-Jewish (foreigner) to penetrate and feel a part of. Some of the other earlier posts mentioned how religion is very important to Americans and hard to ignore - does anyone think that this factor could be a major issue for an English family to settle into??
Hello
I live about 17 miles west of Buffalo Grove and my 3 step children aren't christened in any religion and their dad is Jewish but he wasn't brought up to go to temple etc. I haven't really found religion to be a big factor with any of them in school or out of school. That said, my youngest stepdaughter at 13 has a great conversation with her school friend next door about evolution and God, and her friend insisted that God created the world and that there wasn't such a thing as evolution. She hadn't even heard of it apparently! And of course she didn't believe my stepdaughter when she argued back that we evolved from Apes!! And they are still friends.

As far as the neighbours go, some people go to church, some don't, we don't, but church is definitely a big part of the local community. Nobody treats us any differently because we don't attend.

Good luck with your visit, Chicago is a great city to live near.

Maggie

Last edited by Maggs; Jul 31st 2007 at 10:08 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hello
I live about 17 miles west of Buffalo Grove and my 3 step children aren't christened in any religion and their dad is Jewish but he wasn't brought up to go to temple etc. I haven't really found religion to be a big factor with any of them in school or out of school. That said, my youngest stepdaughter at 13 has a great conversation with her school friend next door about evolution and God, and her friend insisted that God created the world and that there wasn't such a thing as evolution. She hadn't even heard of it apparently! And of course she didn't believe my stepdaughter when she argued back that we evolved from Apes!! And they are still friends.

As far as the neighbours go, some people go to church, some don't, we don't, but church is definitely a big part of the local community. Nobody treats us any differently because we don't attend.

Good luck with your visit, Chicago is a great city to live near.

Maggie
Thanks Maggs! I'm glad you said Chicago is a great city to live near. I was getting a bit concerned after all the posts yesterday berating the terrible winters over there!!! Would you still rather be in America than in the UK?

Keira
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Illinois is a bit of a mix. For a long time it was considered a 'bell-weather' state for politics--i.e. the way Illinois voted was generally the way the US voted. It has a large urban and suburban area, middle sized cities and then a very large (and flat) rural area. A mix of red state / blue state (that has only recently shifted more or less permanently blue.

I have not experienced many 'bible thumpers' (i.e. people who slam the bible with their hand and say 'God said it, that ends it!') in llinois. It's more of a Southern thing, though in rural and Southern Illinois people are rather religious. There is more of a 'you do your thing, I'll do mine' kind of attitude I'd say.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:43 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Maggs! I'm glad you said Chicago is a great city to live near. I was getting a bit concerned after all the posts yesterday berating the terrible winters over there!!! Would you still rather be in America than in the UK?

Keira

Just remember one thing in Chicago (Properly Pronounced Shi-ka [with a nasal 'ahh']-go, well two maybe. Root for the Cubs, and be prpared to laugh off another year without a pennant. There is nothing like a Saturday afternoon at Wrigley Field when the wind is blowing out, a beer in your hand (Strohs of course, maybe Old Style) a hot dog in the other...waiting for the inevitable Cub's loss.

Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:29 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Root for the Cubs[/URL]
I'm sure you mean the White Sox. You must have got that wrong.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 12:31 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Damn unemployed bums get everywhere
Hey I'm fully paid-up on my SS contributions! I've earned my $xxx per week.

You're on Maz! It's scary thinking I won't know a soul when i get there. A good chinwag with likewise people always helps...
Any time you want Keira! As Ray so kindly pointed out I'm currently unemployed, and job-hunting in New Zealand (from the US). When do you arrive and how long are you staying for? I hope your visit doesn't coincide with a possible visit to Wellington for interviews.

Last edited by Maz; Aug 1st 2007 at 12:40 am. Reason: duh forgot a question...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:33 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Keira
Hello Keira

Well, UK will always be "home" but the home I have now is here in the US. I miss my family and friends even after 4 years and couldn't survive if I didn't go back at least once a year.

There is a lot to do in Chicago, but what everyone says about the winters is absolutely true. It's like no other cold you can imagine. Think of the coldest day in England ... then triple it...twice!! The difference is, that here you wear the clothes that will keep you warm, unless you are a teenage high school student and think that shorts or flip flops is the thing to wear! We had to put a rule in place that shorts and flip flops can only be worn before Thanksgiving (November) and after Spring Break! (March).

Maggie
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Keira
Winters in the NE US are brutal too...cold like you can't imagine at times. The difference is you don't need to be outside for more than a minute or so at a time. We go from house to garage...from car to office or store etc.

The sun is usually shining...the cloudless sky is blue most days and it is very dry...we tend not to get the damp, grey UK days. I find the winter months aren't as depressing as the UK. If you are behind glass you would swear it's 100F outside.

BTW I love the city of Chicago.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 1st 2007 at 3:11 am.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

ScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud ofScottMc has much to be proud of

I can vouch for everything that the folks here say. They were a help when I went through the move late last year.

I moved to Schaumburg and can honestly say I love it here (although there are better areas that I'll consider when it come time to renew my lease). It does take a little getting used to after the honeymoon period mainly I think for the folks here to get used to you as much you to them.

Above all its an adventure..that's what makes life interesting. It's so much better than wondering what if...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:06 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Hello again

When you are visiting in the next few weeks try to visit Long Grove. It's a small "village" about 3 miles north of Buffalo Grove and so very quaint with old houses that have been turned into little shops and there is a covered bridge too. There is a little restaurant called The Long Grove Cafe that does some nice food. It's next to the pond and you can sit outside or inside. Maybe a little too hot to be outside now, it was 90F here today.

http://www.longgroveonline.com/

Maggie
Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Hey I'm fully paid-up on my SS contributions! I've earned my $xxx per week.

Any time you want Keira! As Ray so kindly pointed out I'm currently unemployed, and job-hunting in New Zealand (from the US). When do you arrive and how long are you staying for? I hope your visit doesn't coincide with a possible visit to Wellington for interviews.
Hi Maz - I'm coming over the week after next but only from Monday to Friday and will be trying to cram as much in as possible, so will struggle to hook-up this time, but will come over again before the move (hopefully) so will let you know then!

ScottMc - What are your thoughts on Schaumburg, and where would you choose now that you have a better idea of the area?

Thanks Jerseygirl - I really find winters depressing in this country so I'm a tad concerned it could be worse over there. But if the sun is shining that makes a heap of difference even if its freeeezing!!

Thanks Maggs - I'll definitely take a look at Long Grove while I'm there - it sounds lovely. Are the schools good there?

Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:39 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Just remember one thing in Chicago (Properly Pronounced Shi-ka [with a nasal 'ahh']-go,
South side: Shi- khay- gwo. North side: Shi-caaah- go.

Root for the Cubs, and be prpared to laugh off another year without a pennant.
Only on the North side.
There is nothing like a Saturday afternoon at Wrigley Field when the wind is blowing out,
a drinking stadium with a small baseball problem
a beer in your hand (Strohs of course, maybe Old Style)
Goose Island for the yuppies
a hot dog in the other...
Vienna beef, yellow mustard, sport peppers and neon-green relish. Sounds nasty, tastes like heaven.
waiting for the inevitable Cub's loss.
... too true.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:44 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl - I really find winters depressing in this country so I'm a tad concerned it could be worse over there. But if the sun is shining that makes a heap of difference even if its freeeezing!!
The winters can indeed be sunny (unlike New England which is dark and dreary all winter) but the cold is so deep and blistering that it just doesn't matter. I can't sugar-coat the winter here... however, the summers are simply glorious, IMO.

Thanks Maggs - I'll definitely take a look at Long Grove while I'm there - it sounds lovely. Are the schools good there?
Megabucks area. $850K for a decent house. Also, it may seem cheap in UK terms if you do dollars-to-pounds at the current exchange rates. However, as your income will be paid in dollars, the conversion is meaningless.

Also, there are very few Chicago suburbs with bad schools, it's hard to go wrong. www.greatschools.net
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The winters can indeed be sunny (unlike New England which is dark and dreary all winter) but the cold is so deep and blistering that it just doesn't matter. I can't sugar-coat the winter here... however, the summers are simply glorious, IMO.

Megabucks area. $850K for a decent house. Also, it may seem cheap in UK terms if you do dollars-to-pounds at the current exchange rates. However, as your income will be paid in dollars, the conversion is meaningless.

Also, there are very few Chicago suburbs with bad schools, it's hard to go wrong. www.greatschools.net
I get what you're saying. It would just be my luck though to find the one area that did have a bad school! I'm ever so positive me!
Also I know I need to experience the cold winter for myself but I think it's the depressing grey sky and rain that makes me depressed - not really the cold. Sunshine always makes me feel better. I reckon I've got that SAD syndrome thingie...(together with a load of other depressive related ailments!! I'm a joy to be around, y'know!)
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I get what you're saying. It would just be my luck though to find the one area that did have a bad school! I'm ever so positive me!
Also I know I need to experience the cold winter for myself but I think it's the depressing grey sky and rain that makes me depressed - not really the cold. Sunshine always makes me feel better. I reckon I've got that SAD syndrome thingie...(together with a load of other depressive related ailments!! I'm a joy to be around, y'know!)
I am in New Jersey...the winters may be snowy and cold but they are very dry. Nothing like the English cold, damp winters at all. In fact dryness can be a problem...dry skin, cracked lips, static electricity every time you close the car door etc. It is extremely cold...often warnings are issued telling you not to be outdoors with uncovered flesh. You will probably find that you don't need to go outdoors very much if you don't want to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.