Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you had the choice: Australia or USA

Originally Posted by lolly
I don't understand what you are saying as the US gov pays x amount per year into the NHS and Education. Schools love it if one parent is US citizen as they get extra money for that child. Loads of US citizens give birth in UK hospitals and can also use the Doctors, so long as they dont live on a base in case of home visits.. My Husband was registered with a GP as well as the base but never used it, he even has a NHS medical card.
Residence gives right to make use of the NHS, but not everyone has rights because they aren't classed as residents, and being in the military, your not always classed as a resident.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Residence gives right to make use of the NHS, but not everyone has rights because they aren't classed as residents, and being in the military, your not always classed as a resident.
No your right your not classed as a resident if your in the military. But still able to use the NHS and British education system because of the agreement the 2 countries have.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:48 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

No your right your not classed as a resident if your in the military. But still able to use the NHS and British education system because of the agreement the 2 countries have.
They weren't military, but he was an American government employee. There was no doubt that they weren't entitled to NHS care, they were ineligible & took advantage of the situation by wording certain things a certain way. Also, they were both USCs, so again, not eligible.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
They weren't military, but he was an American government employee. There was no doubt that they weren't entitled to NHS care, they were ineligible & took advantage of the situation by wording certain things a certain way. Also, they were both USCs, so again, not eligible.
Sorry but you are wrong , military, Gov employee or contractor all are entitled to the same NHS use and UK education system.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 1:38 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but you are wrong , military, Gov employee or contractor all are entitled to the same NHS use and UK education system.
I flagged them to our patient services department, who went to ____ (whoever it is that they go to!!! Don't know their department very well), who then came back & confirmed that they were ineligible.

Although, on a side note, I've never seen anything that says that military/government employees are entitled to NHS care. Do you have a link? Also, I'm wondering why Tricare pays when they send them to see an NHS service?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I flagged them to our patient services department, who went to ____ (whoever it is that they go to!!! Don't know their department very well), who then came back & confirmed that they were ineligible.

Although, on a side note, I've never seen anything that says that military/government employees are entitled to NHS care. Do you have a link? Also, I'm wondering why Tricare pays when they send them to see an NHS service?
I did not say that Tricare pay as they don't. Will find the relevant paperwork, but have had people we know go to NHS and like I said before GP's will register you as long as you do not live on Base. Friends of ours - both USC had fertlilty treatment on NHS.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:50 pm
Back where I belong!

I did not say that Tricare pay as they don't. Will find the relevant paperwork, but have had people we know go to NHS and like I said before GP's will register you as long as you do not live on Base. Friends of ours - both USC had fertlilty treatment on NHS.
Okay, now I'm really confused!!! I know USAF members that were seen by the NHS, but Tricare paid for it, some were off base & some were on. The lady I was referring to earlier, lived on base, although her husband was not USAF (they had a group of houses at the end of base housing just for the employees of that department).
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay, now I'm really confused!!! I know USAF members that were seen by the NHS, but Tricare paid for it, some were off base & some were on. The lady I was referring to earlier, lived on base, although her husband was not USAF (they had a group of houses at the end of base housing just for the employees of that department).
Thats right Teachers and Gov employees who work on base and also contractors are all covered. Basically they all have more or less the same benefits as the military.Like you said they can even have base housing,but why they would want to do that when they could buy and the Gov is paying for it I dont know, same with using the base schools but at the end of the day they have a choice.
It is all very confusing !!!!Took me a while to understand it all.

Last edited by lolly; Mar 6th 2006 at 4:10 pm.