Reload this Page >

I wonder.... How many Brits...

I wonder.... How many Brits...

Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by whatever

Oooooooh what happened there LOL

Are the Carolinas considered to be a little bit Redneck like Georgia is????

If yes... how far up the East coast do you have to go before it stops being Redneckish and indeed, how far across the bottom to the left??
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
As someone who works with immigration in DC,
do me a favour will ya dude.

get on the blower to Nebraska and tell them ****ers to do some sodding work for a change.............

or if you want to give me the direct line I'll tell them to pull their fingers out myself.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
"Native Whales"....where's that then.
I don't doubt that I misspelled it a bit...heh.

Last edited by Jabba1; Feb 26th 2004 at 7:49 am.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

As someone who works with immigration in DC, I can tell you that there are about 2 million documented and undocumented Brits in the US. There are over 300,000 in Florida alone (I think mostly camping out in front of the gates of Disney World). CA, TX, and NY account for the bulk of the others, with the Carolinas, AZ and NM also having substantial (and growing) Brit populations. Personally, I can't figure out the attraction to the Carolinas.

Are there enough of us yet to carry out the secret plan of returning the colonies to Her Majesty ?
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:42 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Are there enough of us yet to carry out the secret plan of returning the colonies to Her Majesty ?

Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:11 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Polaris_x
It extends east to Texas,
Darn it no wonder I keep getting lost - me maps upside down!!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:17 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

It's redneck until you get north of Virginia. It extends east to Texas, north through Colorado up to Montana, then into Kansas and Nebraska.

Me, being from Colorado, would be a redneck, complete with driving a Ford 4x4, chewing Copenhagen and watching PBR. Gitty up!!!
To be honest, rednecks will be a dying breed pretty soon in NC because of the influx of Latinos (especially Mexicans), Northerners (you know who you are) and other nationals emigrating to NC.

This can be seen by the proliferation of ethnic cuisines available in restaurants and even in grocery stores (there's even chilled tamales in Food Lion). Also, the variety of places of worship these days isn't just Baptist churches on every corner. There's Chinese, Korean and other varieties of churches in NC (well, maybe just in the Triangle, Triad and Charlotte).

I haven't noticed so many gun racks on pickup trucks either. I'm more likely to find bicycle racks attached to SUVs.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:38 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Personally, I can't figure out the attraction to the Carolinas.
In my case, it's because my wife lives here.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by nxylas
In my case, it's because my wife lives here.
I just want to clarify that I don't think there is anything wrong with the Carolinas, I just don't know how it became a desired destination for expats. Growing up in the UK, everyone talked about one day moving to Florida, NY, and CA, I cannot remember ever hearing Carolina mentioned. Many people tell me how much they love it though.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 9:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Are you implying that being a redneck means you're a racist? Ouch!:scared:

North Carolina will always be a redneck state. It's the accent in the voice, the history, etc. that makes it a redneck state, not how many KKK members reside in its borders.
No, that was not implied though upon reading my post, I see where you got that idea from.

I was implying that NC is becoming more culturally diverse through immigration and Americans themselves relocating to the state.

Whereas in the past, NC would not have been considered a place to move either by non-Americans or Americans, NC has become more attractive mainly due to its climate, the lower cost of living and the relative boom in the service industry (whilst agriculture and manufacturing have declined).
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:25 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default How many Brits

I have waded through the Census website at www.census.gov - apparently data from the 2000 census will be available from early 2002 Well, anyone who has dealt with immigration knows what the US government is like about deadlines! Anyway, in the meantime, the 1990 census shows 640,000 people born in the UK and living in the USA, making us the sixth most popular country of origin for foreign-born US residents.

Last edited by nxylas; Feb 25th 2004 at 4:28 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How many Brits

Originally posted by nxylas
I have waded through the Census website at www.census.gov - apparently data from the 2000 census will be available from early 2002 Well, anyone who has dealt with immigration knows what the US government is like about deadlines! Anyway, in the meantime, the 1990 census shows 640,000 people born in the UK and living in the USA, making us the sixth most popular country of origin for foreign-born US residents.

The problem with the census is that it cannot accurately account for "undocumented residents" (PC for "illegal aliens"). It seems that there are several people on this board fall who under this category.

Bush's immigration reform plan estimates that there are about 7 million undocumented Mexicans alone.

The total estimate of the documented and undocumented from the UK is 2 million - far more than I would have ever expected, but still less than 1% of the total US population. I don't think an uprising is possible anytime soon...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:41 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

Default Re: How many Brits

The problem with the census is that it cannot accurately account for "undocumented residents" (PC for "illegal aliens"). It seems that there are several people on this board fall who under this category.
Yes, but it's a more scientific method than the previous "Well, I know six"-type posts