Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I went to my first state fair last night. And....

I went to my first state fair last night. And....

Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default I went to my first state fair last night. And....

They really do sell deep fried snickers bars on sticks! :scared: I didnt try one, but I did have a corn dog, which is something I will not be repeating in for the foreseeable future.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:29 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found corn dogs to be an aquired taste, I think thats why US dogs lick thier own balls to get the taste of corn dogs out of thier mouths:lecture:
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I went to my first state fair last night. And....

Originally posted by Pimpbot
They really do sell deep fried snickers bars on sticks! :scared: I didnt try one, but I did have a corn dog, which is something I will not be repeating in for the foreseeable future.
Ok, I know what a Snickers is and certainly would not want one deep fried!!! But, what exactly is a corn dog?
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:16 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

I had a mexican one last night at the Day of The Dead... www.ladeayofthedead.com it is covered in Mayo, then chili powder followed by cheese.........Unusual but yummy.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:17 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

ooops I mean www.ladayofthedead.com
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

A corn dog is a weiner covered in corn bread and deep fried ?? usually served on a stick .... hmmm so now you know.

As for deep fried snickers .... when i lived in Scotland we had deep fried mars bars, cadbury creme eggs .. just about anything actually .. the local chippie even deep fried pizza... now that was gross !!

Jan
Old Oct 26th 2003, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
A corn dog is a weiner covered in corn bread and deep fried ?? usually served on a stick .... hmmm so now you know.

As for deep fried snickers .... when i lived in Scotland we had deep fried mars bars, cadbury creme eggs .. just about anything actually .. the local chippie even deep fried pizza... now that was gross !!

Jan
I'll never forget the first time I went to a Scottish Chippy after we moved there- I asked for a pie and chips- and they threw the pie in the deep fat!!! Can you say stunned?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default NC State Fair Food Finds

I visited the NC State Fair in Raleigh yesterday...

Interesting foods on sale there included the usual fried Twinkies, Oreos and the like.

The "fried dough" stands were plentiful. I don't remember seeing them last year. Can't see why anybody would get excited and want to eat fried dough really.

Then there was the really odd stuff. I saw the vendor selling emu but I don't know how it was prepared. I also heard about fried alligator but I didn't see the vendor who sold that. Doubt there was much of a line for that edible oddity.

Due to eating three ham biscuits (not at once) for breakfast, I couldn't manage a smoked turkey leg later, even though I wanted to try one again (the first experience was last State Fair).

Have now had the experience of having consumed sausage gravy (on a biscuit of course). White "gravy" that was a little peppery with bits of American style sausage in it. Not bad. I think it was homemade too.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:00 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the State Fair in Raleigh last weekend, went in 150lb came out 215lb.

Patrick
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:02 am
Up Yir Kilt

What the hell did you eat Patrick? A wee horse?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I see the biggest cow ever, also at the fair on saturday. Geez that thing would have made an awful lot of steaks. 6 ft 8 and nearly 3500 pounds! best 50cents I ever spent

I also won a cuddly toy dog by throwing a dart into a little star and some(I kid you not) fluffy dice, which I gave to my step daughter for her car.

I missed out on the figure 8 stock car racing though, as the bastards closed off the stadium saying it was full

Last edited by Pimpbot; Oct 27th 2003 at 2:48 am.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Talking

so how many mullets did you see? Keep track? hehe.

-= nav =-
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:41 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I love making the 'Fried Dough' that they sell at Fairs... I'm actually quite good at it!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I went to the State Fair in Raleigh last weekend, went in 150lb came out 215lb.

Patrick
Actually the Dept of Agriculture has a stand at the NC State Fair and visitors can be weighed and the results are handed over on a card. I did it last year and also on Saturday.

I was terribly surprised to see that my weight has only changed one lb over a year!! Also, I ate more State Fair food last year too...

Patrick: did you happen to get weighed on this machine or did you avoid this?

NC Penguin