Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I Weighed Myself Today...

I Weighed Myself Today...

Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Weighed Myself Today...

Originally Posted by anabella
I've just jumped on the scale.. I have 5 lbs to lose..
Bi**h! If only that were the case for me!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:30 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
...and I am the heaviest I have ever been. When I arrived in the US 2 years ago I was fit healthy and almost my ideal weight. I am due to go back to UK soon and do not want to take this weight with me.

So inspiration suggestions or anyone want to join BE fit club?

I have started my food diary and been shopping for lots of fresh food. I blamed my job for a lot of my unhealthy eating being on the road all the time, have finished work now, so no excuse.
I used to log onto "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet" a few years ago...the support is great. I was part of the the "Teachers" group. It helps when you are chatting with people with similar interests/lifestyles.

I gained 20 lbs since my UK husband moved to US 7 months ago! He has lost a few pounds though. We think I've gained because I eat when/what he eats even when I'm not hungry. We think he's lost because he doesn't eat pizza, calzones, or chips for every meal. He also thinks you should have a "pudding" after lunch and dinner! He had to get used to dessert being served for special occasions (I don't like sweets in general). I used to fill my evenings and weekends with bike rides and walks until he moved here. Even though we "exercised" a lot after he arrived, it wasn't enough to keep the pounds off.

So....we go to the gym together now. His membership is free through his work and it cost very little to add me on. I eat smaller portions and only when I'm hungry. He's agreed to eat more vegetables and not ask for chips every night and he tries not to say anything when I don't "clean" my plate.

Just after a month of this we are starting to see improvements in the way we feel and look. I am not setting any unrealistic goals for myself though....I just want to lose the 20 lbs. by June and then I'll reevaluate and see if I dare go further.

Good luck to all of you out there in your goals for the New Year!

FYI: I've started eating a little bit like I have diabetes by educating myself about glycemic index, blood sugar levels, very little processed foods, etc. It has helped.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Jan 1st 2008 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:32 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Bi**h! If only that were the case for me!
I don't let it get too crazy, it's hard enough to lose a few lbs..
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:45 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
I've just jumped on the scale.. I have 5 lbs to lose..
A poo would do that for me,
I can go up and down half a stone a day
Old Jan 1st 2008, 8:47 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshviking
A poo would do that for me,
I can go up and down half a stone a day
I had food posioning last new years eve lost 12 lbs in 2 days only problem was it did not stay of.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Its because we flippen drive every where, where as back home we would walk to the store and carry a bag of shopping back with us, if we did that in the US our sanity would be questioned lol.
That's a big reason, imo. My weight increased 15% in my first six months living in US suburbia. Plus the amount of processed food sold in the US is staggering and unhealthy - maybe the UK has now gone down this road too though. I now live in a big city near shops so I walk a lot more, and do actually carry bags of shopping down the street! And I feel and look noticably fitter than I did when living in the 'burbs.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 5:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
That's a big reason, imo. My weight increased 15% in my first six months living in US suburbia. Plus the amount of processed food sold in the US is staggering and unhealthy - maybe the UK has now gone down this road too though. I now live in a big city near shops so I walk a lot more, and do actually carry bags of shopping down the street! And I feel and look noticably fitter than I did when living in the 'burbs.
I saw this just today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7165990.stm

"The UK is the country most attached to fast food, closely followed by the United States, a survey has suggested."
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:41 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

"The UK is the country most attached to fast food, closely followed by the United States, a survey has suggested."
weird, the macdonalds in st albans town center where i used to lived closed down due to lack of custom....
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:21 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

weird....

where I used to live we didn't get a McDonalds until 2001 and its still the only one we have there now...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:48 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
weird, the macdonalds in st albans town center where i used to lived closed down due to lack of custom....
I think they're counting doner kababs towards "fast food."
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

As the weather is so bad in Northern California today I can't go for my walk its terrible outside, so decided to do something that I have wanted to for a very long time YOGA

Its Yoga for weight loss beginners BEGINNERS its 30 mins long (I have managed 10 lol)and I have neally done myself a mischief,anyone else do Yoga I did not think it was think flammin hard
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
...and I am the heaviest I have ever been. When I arrived in the US 2 years ago I was fit healthy and almost my ideal weight. I am due to go back to UK soon and do not want to take this weight with me.

So inspiration suggestions or anyone want to join BE fit club?

I have started my food diary and been shopping for lots of fresh food. I blamed my job for a lot of my unhealthy eating being on the road all the time, have finished work now, so no excuse.

Ooo happened to me too for the first couple of years I was here.

When I want a few quick pounds gone, I eat oatmeal (and not the instant crap). I make it with milk and a tiny bit of sugar and since I like it so much, don't mind living on it for a while. Whenever I do it, I lose about 10 pounds in a week and it stays off
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:52 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Ooo happened to me too for the first couple of years I was here.

When I want a few quick pounds gone, I eat oatmeal (and not the instant crap). I make it with milk and a tiny bit of sugar and since I like it so much, don't mind living on it for a while. Whenever I do it, I lose about 10 pounds in a week and it stays off
Since beginning the thread I have had no junk food and have cooked fresh stuff almost every day, I have lost 3 pounds so far. My flights to UK are booked so I am motivated to look my best when seeeing friends and family again.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
As the weather is so bad in Northern California today I can't go for my walk its terrible outside, so decided to do something that I have wanted to for a very long time YOGA

Its Yoga for weight loss beginners BEGINNERS its 30 mins long (I have managed 10 lol)and I have neally done myself a mischief,anyone else do Yoga I did not think it was think flammin hard
If I ever managed to get myself into yoga positions, it would require three firemen and a multiple implements to ever get me out again.

Hmmm.... could be interesting...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym
If I ever managed to get myself into yoga positions, it would require three firemen and a multiple implements to ever get me out again.

Hmmm.... could be interesting...

What number is the local Modesto fire brigade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.