British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   I Weighed Myself Today... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/i-weighed-myself-today-502133/)

Jaxbar Dec 28th 2007 11:50 pm

I Weighed Myself Today...

...and I am the heaviest I have ever been. When I arrived in the US 2 years ago I was fit healthy and almost my ideal weight. I am due to go back to UK soon and do not want to take this weight with me.

So inspiration suggestions or anyone want to join BE fit club?

I have started my food diary and been shopping for lots of fresh food. I blamed my job for a lot of my unhealthy eating being on the road all the time, have finished work now, so no excuse.

Tea Pot Dec 29th 2007 12:22 am

Re: I Weighed Myself Today...

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass (Post 5714026)
...and I am the heaviest I have ever been. When I arrived in the US 2 years ago I was fit healthy and almost my ideal weight. I am due to go back to UK soon and do not want to take this weight with me.

I have started my food diary and been shopping for lots of fresh food. I blamed my job for a lot of my unhealthy eating being on the road all the time, have finished work now, so no excuse.

It happened to us too.....I put it down to all the hidden sugar in the foods here, like bread and baked beans etc.....I have managed to shift the extra stone I put on, by eating nothing processed and walking the dog at least 3 miles a day.....

OH not faring so well - he is still piling on the pounds :eek:

Nu-Shooz Dec 29th 2007 12:25 am

Seems to happen to all us in OZ too. Most of us put loads of weight on here. Although i eat exactly the same amount. I was lead to believe OZ is a healthy country..i know USA has an obesity problem too. When i was in Florida i couldn't believe the size of some of the woman. They looked slim on top, but their backsides were bigger than a bus:eek:

Elvira Dec 29th 2007 12:31 am

I feel and share your pain...

Are you going home for good?

Jaxbar Dec 29th 2007 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 5714115)
Seems to happen to all us in OZ too. Most of us put loads of weight on here. Although i eat exactly the same amount. I was lead to believe OZ is a healthy country..i know USA has an obesity problem too. When i was in Florida i couldn't believe the size of some of the woman. They looked slim on top, but their backsides were bigger than a bus:eek:

I think that is why I have been in denial, compared to many of the locals I am not too bad but I would have never got to this weight back in UK.

Jaxbar Dec 29th 2007 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5714132)
I feel and share your pain...

Are you going home for good?

No, just an extended visit (first time back) now i have my GC and have quit my job.

I plan to return with a new masterplan for my future.

kingfisher241049 Dec 29th 2007 12:36 am

...I Weighed Myself Today...

Thats the first mistake, I never weigh myself, way too depressing and embarrasing. I let my doctor do it, then close my ears when he starts his inevitable rant at me... He always says things like, cholesterol too high, at risk of diabetes and heart attacks... But at the end he just gives me more Crestor tablets and tells me to go back to see him in 3 months. He has told me though that I have managed to lose 10 pounds recently, and to keep it up. Not sure if he meant keep the weight loss up or something else :rofl:

mozoo Dec 29th 2007 2:39 am

...and I am the heaviest I have ever been. So inspiration suggestions or anyone want to join BE fit club?

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes a few months back and just recently went to see a registered dietitian. I am guilty of eating too much processed food which is full of sugar and high carbs. So, I am having to reduce my carb intake and it's a learning process. As I don't eat breakfast, the dietitian suggested that for a brunch like meal I consume 50-65 grams of carbs, an afternoon snack of 30-45 grams, with dinner around 50-65. I've only been doing it for two weeks but I've lost a few pounds and that makes me feel better about myself. The treadmill is getting a workout too!!!

I'm learning to like cauliflower "mash" and "light" bread. I've also had a crash course in reading labels. I'm not doing Atkins or South Beach but I have researched low carb recipes and think I can get the hang of it without too much difficulty.

Perhaps low carbing might be of use to you?

snowbunny Dec 29th 2007 3:07 am

I fell off the exercise wagon about six weeks back when my trainer moved gyms. I also got very busy with work and still am in the thick of it. AND I was having healthy meals delivered, but the chef started selling out faster than a U2 gig and I went back to eating whatever Toon brought home (burgers and pizza mainly).

Sooooo.... the last three nights I've been exercising a lot. I need to work on the food thing and wish that cooking "right" was a possibility.... I need more free time for that, though. :(

Maz Dec 29th 2007 7:42 am

Hiya BL. :) When I moved to the US in 1995 I was a lovely svelte 7 1/2 stone, 105 pounds. I not only gradually gained weight, but my weight shifted around. With a society bent on not putting one foot infront of another, it's too easy to become plump. :(

Every day for work, I walk 15 minutes each way once I get to the train station. I see my bum already firming up. :thumbup: Also, the food here is so much fresher here in NZ, with a lot more food produced locally.

Best of luck with your weight loss! x

Mallory Dec 29th 2007 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tea Pot (Post 5714106)
It happened to us too.....I put it down to all the hidden sugar in the foods here, like bread and baked beans etc.....I have managed to shift the extra stone I put on, by eating nothing processed and walking the dog at least 3 miles a day.....

OH not faring so well - he is still piling on the pounds :eek:

The "fattest people" in the developed world are in 1) USA, 2) Australia, 3) UK.

When people leave the UK and get fat, they blame 1) and 2) countries for their dilemma! Oh, the horra!

Xebedee Dec 29th 2007 1:22 pm

Heard a thingy once that almost all immigrants to the US gain weight in the first few. 'Course you also lose IQ points along the way, so its a bit of a wash really. :D

Poppy girl Dec 29th 2007 1:33 pm

Its because we flippen drive every where, where as back home we would walk to the store and carry a bag of shopping back with us, if we did that in the US our sanity would be questioned lol.

I started here as a size 4US and am a 6US now and that is starting to lean a bit to the size 8 :eek: I am 5ft 7-8 not sure lol but do not want to get any bigger, some folk suit being a bigger size it goes with whom they are, I would not judge someone on thier size but personally I just don't want to be a BIG girl, and as the ciggies are no more the other C has taken its place in abundance CHOCOLATE :eek:

Ray Dec 29th 2007 1:41 pm

And we love every inch of you girls ...

Xebedee Dec 29th 2007 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 5715889)
Its because we flippen drive every where, where as back home we would walk to the store and carry a bag of shopping back with us, if we did that in the US our sanity would be questioned lol.

I started here as a size 4US and am a 6US now and that is starting to lean a bit to the size 8 :eek: I am 5ft 7-8 not sure lol but do not want to get any bigger, some folk suit being a bigger size it goes with whom they are, I would not judge someone on thier size but personally I just don't want to be a BIG girl, and as the ciggies are no more the other C has taken its place in abundance CHOCOLATE :eek:

Whats worried about? That sounds healthy. :thumbup:
Just can't bear those stick-insect broads like Paris-bloody-Hilton :eek: There is no way that that is good for a woman.

I accidentally ate a piece of loose chocco this Xmas and nearly puked. It was all waxy and overly sweet. :eek:

You know, I think its all because of the "right to have excess" mentality. Don't you find that when you cut back in most things here (like we used to live in England), its more comfortable / familiar and you get a sense of being frugal (warm and fuzzy)?
Like:
Drive thru's
Grocery shopping
Dining out
Using plastic, etc.