Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

i need help and im sorry if this is the wrong place to post it

i need help and im sorry if this is the wrong place to post it

Old Oct 7th 2002, 2:05 am
Just Joined

mickymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Question i need help and im sorry if this is the wrong place to post it

basically me and my g/f have been dating a long time she has visited me a few times over here in england and we would love it if we could just be together all the time

i was wondering if...

she came over here to england on holiday, could we marry then move to america and i register over there ??

she has plenty of money so there is no problem with that

i have no criminal record nor do i have any type of illness

she has 75 thousand in the bank at the minute

a job

a house of her own

i mean to me it seems pretty straight fwd but i have heard of ppl who just go ahead and do things and get caught out on little points and it would be the biggest heartbreak if we got it all done and thought it was ok then i was forced to move away from here again

i would be really greatful of any help at all

Micke
Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:39 am
Just Joined

mickymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i need help and im sorry if this is the wrong place to post it

well its lovely that every1 is so helpful on here
Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: i need help and im sorry if this is the wrong place to post it

Originally posted by mickymaster:
well its lovely that every1 is so helpful on here
Mickey

You may get a better response on the marriage forum - many couples (including my wife and I) have done exactly what you propose and would be happy to help in whatever way they can.

Firstly, if you are in the UK it is far easier to marry there and then apply through the US embassy in London for 'Direct Consular Filing' (DCF) for a visa for you to move with her to the US as a spouse. The entire process takes about 4-6 months. If you marry and apply in the states for a visa/greencard it will take over a year.

So:
1. g/f comes to UK on a legitimate visa - for example if you are engaged and intend to marry within 6months (she won't be able to work in that period);
2. you marry and apply to the UK home office for her to remain in the UK as your spouse (process circa 12 weeks) afterwhich she can work.
3. meantime you DCF to the embassy in London.

As you rightly recognise there are pitfalls along the way, but if you are both genuine and she has the funds to support you in the States (you will learn of the notorious form I 864) there is no reason to believe you won't get to be together in the states in the not too distant future.

good luck