Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I Need Help.

I Need Help.

Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:29 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Need Help.

Originally Posted by Deredas
Well its a personal thought, but just people who i think arnt bringing anything into the country, i know they get in because they have family over there, just seems a bit strange.
But what would you be bringing to America? Any bugger can get a degree, and it's not as if you have any work experience. It seems a tad rich pointing at others and accusing them of not being able to contribute to the country, surely?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

what are you taking your PhD in?
How nice of you to ask - Computing Technology in Education.

... im going to look into EC-Council and the teaching assistantship.
All the people I work with are CEHs via EC-Council. My boss and I are also CHFIs. Oh... did I mention that I work in Computer Forensics?

i look at some people being excepted into America...
Umm... I think you mean "accepted"... because "excepted" has the exact opposite meaning!

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Deredas is an unknown quantity at this point

Tonrob, i would be bringing the aspect of self support, not having to borrow off the goverment and the high aspect of starting a business. I agree that anyone can get a degree, but there are plenty of useless ones going around universities.

Ooo nice Ian i hope it all goes very well for you . My dream job hehe , if you dont mind me asking, who do you work for? So would getting the qualification from EC-Council, improve my employability rate?

Yeah really sorry about my poor spelling, i spend all day on the computer at college, come home and i just type away hehe.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Tonrob, i would be bringing the aspect of self support, not having to borrow off the goverment and the high aspect of starting a business. I agree that anyone can get a degree, but there are plenty of useless ones going around universities.
Who is 'borrowing off the government'?

Are you saying that you're wanting to start your own business here, or what exactly?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Who is 'borrowing off the government'?

Are you saying that you're wanting to start your own business here, or what exactly?
Ok i'll give a pure example, in england, a person from a lesser wealthy country will come over to england, they will then bring their family over and claim a fair amount of benifits, that is what i am trying to show with my other statement.

And with the business, yes i aim to set one up after i have managed to settle down in America and get to know all the trade laws etc
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sooooo.... the standards for getting into both the UK and the US are too low, but you still don't qualify?
And you'll start your own business once you do get in.

It might be good for you to read some immigrant stories that don't support your thesis. You know, just for the practice.

(My family member got in off the relationship AND started his own business.. where does that slot in again?)
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

So, in other words - you'll bring some savings (I'm assuming that's what you mean by self-support) so you don't have to claim benefits (that don't really exist here anyway), and you have some vague notion about being able to start a business despite the fact that you have no meaningful qualifications or experience?

I'm not sure why you think you're any "better" than other immigrants, as right now if anything the opposite seems to be true.

If I were you I'd be trying to get my shit together in my own country to begin and leave serious thoughts of emigrating until you've found something you're good at.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well its a personal thought, but just people who i think arnt bringing anything into the country, i know they get in because they have family over there, just seems a bit strange.
My husband "got in" to the USA based on his relationship to me (I'm a USC), so that would be the type of person you're talking about. Why is it strange that he would want to join his family (me) in the USA? Isn't it normal for married people to want to live together on one continent?

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My husband "got in" to the USA based on his relationship to me (I'm a USC), so that would be the type of person you're talking about. Why is it strange that he would want to join his family (me) in the USA? Isn't it normal for married people to want to live together on one continent?

Rene
uh oh.. yours started a business too!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
uh oh.. yours started a business too!
Indeed! Came to the USA in 2004 with 1 suitcase of clothes, 1 suitcase of rug repair equipment, and about $1,000. That's it. Now a successful self-employed business owner! And mine's from a 3rd world country. LOL

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice

You need serious help
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Well thankyou for the intial replies, they have helped alot in opening my mind towards different routes i can take. As for the others, i dont want to bother replying due to the fact that everyones thoughts and judgments are different.

Many thanks guys.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:24 am
Septic Sprout

Well thankyou for the intial replies, they have helped alot in opening my mind towards different routes i can take. As for the others, i dont want to bother replying due to the fact that everyones thoughts and judgments are different.

Many thanks guys.
In all honesty you'd do well not to filter the replies between ones that are nice to hear and ones that are not. Maturity would tell you that you tend to learn more from the latter.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
In all honesty you'd do well not to filter the replies between ones that are nice to hear and ones that are not. Maturity would tell you that you tend to learn more from the latter.
^ Nice one!

America loves immigrants who want to succeed and integrate as well as contribute to society. We have structured our immigration laws to (theoretically) facilitate that. Do not make blanket statements as to the "quality" of immigrants. Our immigration system usually worries about that. If you come to America, you should understand and appreciate that diversity in all its shapes and forms makes America the great nation it is today. After you immigrate you are expected to contribute to society whether it is through your employment or through a business you start or whether it is through community service. We are all descendants of immigrants in one shape and form. Probably even the American Indians are as well as theories suggest that they migrated to this continent from Russia.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Ok i'll give a pure example, in england, a person from a lesser wealthy country will come over to england, they will then bring their family over and claim a fair amount of benifits, that is what i am trying to show with my other statement.And with the business, yes i aim to set one up after i have managed to settle down in America and get to know all the trade laws etc
That’s none of your business. If what you are saying is that a matter of fact, then that’s the issue with Immigration System and Welfare benefit system there in UK.