Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I love the US of A

I love the US of A

Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love the US of A

Start applying for jobs over here, there are so many H1b visa people working over here.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack
Hello,

Every time I go to the US (notably New York), there's always something amazing that I find there. I came back from my last NYC trip a few days ago and it was honestly one of the best holidays that I've had.

I have been doing some research on what it would take to move there, and it seems quite a lot! First and foremost getting a work permit there (H1B visa), which would obviously be my primary concern.

A little about myself:

I was born in Russia, but moved to England when I was 12 and have held a full British passport since 1998. I am 26 years of age, single with no dependants. I have a Bachelor's degree (with Honours! - not that it means anything) in Software Engineering with Computer Systems course and I have worked in IT since graduation in 2002. First I worked in desktop/server support but have now moved to Unix support/administration and software development in a different company based in London. From this I have a modest (read low!) income and have finally got on the property ladder last year and a huge mortgage!!

I understand that to get approved for a limited number of H1B's, I would need to find an employer that would work with me to get the visa. I have browsed through the forums and stories/articles here and elsewhere and have come to the conclusion that it's a relatively hard task to achieve. Nevertheless, I am willing to try it. But how realistic is it really? I understand that people from India would get favoured due to them willing to work for a lower pay than, say, me... especially in IT sector. Oh, and I would have to be something special too.

The problem with England for me is that I don't really feel at home here. Home is in Russia and I don't want to move back there as there are far too many uncertainties there with the coutry going through an awkward "phase". Being in New York makes me feel at home and I love the fact that it's such a huge place and that there's literally something for everyone (think Central Park, beaches, shops, Times Square). It kind of makes London look like a hamlet. Oh and the weather isn't helping me here in the slightest.

Even though I know I have little chance in succeeding, it's obviously possible as people have done it from scratch (my company doesn't have any offices in the US). What would be the best place to start in my situation? I have looked (briefly) on various sites about the H1B visa, including the seemingly scam site known as h1base.com but still somewhat at a loss as to where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Alex