Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I love the US of A

I love the US of A

Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all
Default Re: I love the US of A

Originally Posted by Captain Jack
I am on the property ladder in the UK, yes (but not in London), so it's not something I would want to lose if it goes pear shaped in the US. I am surprised to learn that it's very easy to buy property over there as it's pretty much impossible in the UK on a single wage.

How did you get into the US and how did you meet your hubby? Sounds all very interesting!
There is so many more thing that you'll learn about USA, good or bad, ok? One of the good is buying a property. People here can't belive it! I can't explain why it's so easy in States, but it simply is, which is a good thing! O , it is impossible in the U.K on the simple wage! I know it. I myself could never afford a property in the U.K. My husband, like I said, has a marvelous occupation and the job here (unlike he would have in the USA) , earns a loots, not to say that he was already on the property ladder in London to begin with, and that is why we were able to afford this beautiful flat in most desirable area in London. Otherwise, with my RN salary here (through NHS) I could not afford a thing! Whereas in the USA (ok, nursing is completely different overhere and in States) I 've already changed (bought and sold and earned nice money), two flats. So that part, again once you have a GOOD job , you'll be able to do in States.

I came to the USA as a child, graduated from University there, had my citizenship through my parents who were granted the GC to begin with as refugees from former Yugoslavia countries (meaning they never even desperately wanted to go to the USA and were just lucky I'd say that they did after the split of ex Yu).
My best friend has been living in London where she met her Brit hubby, they came to wed in Las Vegas, even though to this day, I do not know why of all beautiful places , Las Vegas - the epitome of a white-trash weddings (but I guess Brits do not know that again)...Anyways, my husband was at the time friend and the best man of my girlfriend's husband, so was obviously present at the wedding I was preatty (not any more 'cause I am fat due to pregnancy now, ok), he (my hubby) was handsome and sexy, the spark happened immediatelly and we ended up in the long distance relationship for three years before we got married, visiting each other, e-mailing and speaking on the phone every day...huh...the worst period of my life...being far away from him...:curse:
I did not want to move for obvious reasons. I had my life there! So, he had to move, and I was totally sure that with high profile in his professon he 'll get wonderful job back in States, but ... My hubby was never kin of USA to begin with simply because he's been there so many times as a visitor and never liked it. That friend of my hubby that married my friend, lived and worked in States for about five years and was the type that was desperate to come to the USA but unfortunatelly as soon as that contract was over he was out of States and inspite of so many trials to come back to the States for any price, he was not able to...So my hubby experienced "american life" enough during that time and later on, but decided inspite of everything to move because of me...That is why I am here now for him...
ok, enough of me...It is indeed exciting and story telling...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Srna

My best friend has been living in London where she met her Brit hubby, they came to wed in Las Vegas, even though to this day, I do not know why of all beautiful places , Las Vegas - the epitome of a white-trash weddings (but I guess Brits do not know that again)
I think that's the idea - like running off to Gretna Green.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
To me, Britain is like California, it's all expensive. But if you live in the US, you don't have to live in an ultra-expensive area - you have the choice to move.
but you can only commute so far for work...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:19 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
That entirely depends. Housing for many Americans is as unattainable as it is for many Brits. I don't disagree it has become exponentially harder in Britian, particularly the SE but I would argue that property, that in real terms is "more" affordable in the States is because generally speaking it's in the middle of nowhere.

Or do you mean practically and not financially?

It does seem odd to me that many Americans that my husband works with and who I know bring home more than he does...do not own their own homes...or have only just got their first home in their late 40s...

We found it easy to buy in the USA..can't talk for other people....its more practical to own on Cape where long term rentals are rare and costly in a lot of cases...but that could be changing with the number of soon to be repo's on the market..667 in one county alone..not like the area is that big....people may start renting out at a rate that people can afford...just to keep their homes...for us both practically and financially..we are better off owning...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 3:24 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
but you can only commute so far for work...
We did not choose to live on Cape which is expensive...the work was here...you can't really live off Cape because of the traffic...a few do..but the cost of gas and car upkeep is huge even more so now...to be honest I don't know how they do it...does help being the boss maybe ...no-one to question you if you are late...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:31 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Ray (darling)...
It happened in the south of city, where nobody but black people abide (mind you, that is far safer than NYC Brooklyn or Harlem, one of these ;-) (see movie "Moscow on Hudson", 've seen it on these ancient BBC's over here), and nobody even cares, cause they (riot?!) was "quieted down" so quickly that hardly newspapers mentioned it.

Jeeeeezus, thank **** for that, I thought for a minute there that some God Fearing, Church-Going White People may have been caught up in it...

Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
Jeeeeezus, thank **** for that, I thought for a minute there that some God Fearing, Church-Going White People may have been caught up in it...

Sweet Jesus, did she actually say that............ I missed it amongst all the agrammatical drivel...
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sweet Jesus, did she actually say that............ I missed it amongst all the agrammatical drivel...
and she dared to use smilies in a reply to Ray.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
and she dared to use smilies in a reply to Ray.
I am of a forgiving nature .....
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: I love the US of A

Originally Posted by Ray
Old Jun 28th 2007, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
since when?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
since when?
this morning ..its a 24 hour thing
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
this morning ..its a 24 hour thing
a bit like the squits?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Srna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to allSrna is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris

Hi Chopper Chris,
I know what you mean...those are pretty scary too, but what I said is true. Noone goes South after a certain time of the day...It's that bad, unfortunately I myself could not believe it when I first moved to the States, especially in the southern states of the USA...

As for Elvira's and Jersey Girl's comments, I would not bother replying. I am certainly not here to express hostility like they do, towards anybody!

Ray, I hope you like my smiles rather than hostility such as that expressed towards me for no particular reason
Old Jun 28th 2007, 9:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Chopper Chris,
I know what you mean...those are pretty scary too, but what I said is true. Noone goes South after a certain time of the day...It's that bad, unfortunately I myself could not believe it when I first moved to the States, especially in the southern states of the USA...

As for Elvira's and Jersey Girl's comments, I would not bother replying. I am certainly not here to express hostility like they do, towards anybody!

Ray, I hope you like my smiles rather than hostility such as that expressed towards me for no particular reason
Excuse me...can you please back up your accusations and show me what posts in this thread you are referring to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.