Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I love my bacon, but . . .

I love my bacon, but . . .

Old Nov 9th 2010, 1:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love my bacon, but . . .

You guys are all talking about the UK style bacon, right?

I never thought I'd ever turn bacon down until I moved here
Old Nov 9th 2010, 1:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You guys are all talking about the UK style bacon, right?

I never thought I'd ever turn bacon down until I moved here
Actually, no! As I believe someone wrote recently in another thread, once you get used to it the US bacon it is pretty darn good. UK bacon starts tasting like ham, you enjoy the crispy goodness of the US stuff.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 1:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, no! As I believe someone wrote recently in another thread, once you get used to it the US bacon it is pretty darn good. UK bacon starts tasting like ham, you enjoy the crispy goodness of the US stuff.
Oh, not for me sadly and I've been here 5 years so if I was going to become accustomed to it it would have happened by now. I only eat it so as not to be difficult when my wife has made it for breakfast. Not to be a dick, but sometimes the smell of it cooking in the morning turns my stomach Maybe it is the oil being used or something but it just hasn't ever done it for me.

I like the fact that UK bacon tases like ham

Plenty of HP sauce helps a bit though but I'll always take the sausage option when asked (or ham in an omelette )
Old Nov 9th 2010, 1:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Not to be a dick, but sometimes the smell of it cooking in the morning turns my stomach Maybe it is the oil being used or something but it just hasn't ever done it for me.
Cooking bacon in oil? Try nuking it in the microwave so it comes out dry and crisp. Yes, five years is a while, but one thing this immigration lark has taught me is never to say never!
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:18 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Cooking bacon in oil? Try nuking it in the microwave so it comes out dry and crisp. Yes, five years is a while, but one thing this immigration lark has taught me is never to say never!
I think the crispiness is part of what I don't like actually

Also, coming from the land of the Ulster Fry (which could harden your arteries from 10 paces when done right), breakfast anywhere but in NI is never going to quite live up to that. I haven't had fried soda farls since 2007
Old Nov 9th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
How about 10 eggs, 10 toasts, 10 sauges and 5 blood puds to go along with your 10 bits of bacon?.... don't forget the beans!
http://files.sharenator.com/Brekkie1...x486-15415.jpg
Now i am hungry, makes the bowl of frosties I just had seem very dull. I could just eat a nice fry up or at least a bacon sarnie, on thick white bread with ketchup
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:01 am
Just Joined

SnoopJohnnyJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

How about 10 eggs, 10 toasts, 10 sauges and 5 blood puds to go along with your 10 bits of bacon?.... don't forget the beans!
http://files.sharenator.com/Brekkie1...x486-15415.jpg
That place is near my house!!! In Westhaughton. If you can manage to eat that breakfast with no drink, I think in less than an hour, you get a certificate and the meal for free... You have to sign a disclaimer to say you can't sue for health issues following the meal AND these get pinned to a winners or losers wall... The winners wall is currently empty.

Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:13 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn
That place is near my house!!! In Westhaughton. If you can manage to eat that breakfast with no drink, I think in less than an hour, you get a certificate and the meal for free... You have to sign a disclaimer to say you can't sue for health issues following the meal AND these get pinned to a winners or losers wall... The winners wall is currently empty.

Maybe one should get Adam Richman do an international Man vs Food there.

I went to the Avery brewery this eve and had their "Smoked Ham" ale... aka 'liquid bacon'. Wasn't all that bad! Personally, I think its an amber ale with liquid smoke added.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:57 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

There are many wonderful bacon-related products in America:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/where...=bacon&x=0&y=0
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I'm quite enjoying bacon here. The local supermarkets have a variety of smoked/unsmoked/peppered/maple cured bacon for me to work my way through.
I'm a bit of a weirdo though, there isn't a single thing food wise I miss from the UK. I've discovered all kinds of new things to try instead, even my beloved Oxo cubes are no longer missed.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

We've named our dog Bacon
Old Nov 15th 2010, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the key to enjoying US bacon is to think of it as an entirely different food. I like both, but wouldn't consider them comparable.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Mo's Bacon Bar is actually pretty good.
(Selfridge's sold out of their lot in 48 hrs!)
Nice! Thanks!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Maybe the key to enjoying US bacon is to think of it as an entirely different food. I like both, but wouldn't consider them comparable.
Great idea!!!

Perhaps I can stop looking for bacon that is just, well, bacon - no added water, no smoked with anything - just bacon.

Maybe we need to do the same with ham - is there ham in the US that does not have added water and is also unsmoked - other than us going in to the pg farming & butchery business...!!!

We do like the off the bone ham here - but I guess we're missing the "Wiltshire Ham" you get in the UK....

I've found going in to "Homer Simpson" mode helps - with any food we're not sure of, just go "Hmmmmmm...... <insert name of food>.... Urghh hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!" and then just eat it!!

Cheers

Harry
(Hijacking the wife's BE session again!)
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishbees

Maybe we need to do the same with ham - is there ham in the US that does not have added water and is also unsmoked - other than us going in to the pg farming & butchery business...!!!
Trader Joes do some nice ham steaks, without water added, but I think even those are smoked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.