Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I love California but my family are in the UK

I love California but my family are in the UK

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love California but my family are in the UK

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Bring on the medieval tourney!
If only Ray had known ..... he would have been so much nicer.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerliu
Chocs and Roses are sooooo last century. I take all major credit cards and fat retirement funds.
Okay, done! Anything you want...
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
If only Ray had known ..... he would have been so much nicer.
Oh he would
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Chocs and Roses are sooooo last century. I take all major credit cards and fat retirement funds.
That's Tom out of the running.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That's Tom out of the running.
I daren't reply
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Liu: I am quarter Chinese: a red haired, blue eyed part Chinese gal. Mutts rule.
I'm thinking Octang is going to pee his pants...
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I daren't reply
It's best that you don't.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you love your life in California and especially your success in your career, and I know by reading your posts you would miss it, if you were to return to the UK. It has to be said ... eventually your Mother will pass on, your siblings will be getting on with their own lives... I just don't know if you can build a life on that looking ahead to the next 5-10-20-40 years. The healthcare is a huge issue though ... just don't get sick anytime soon or get that sorted. I would not feel at all comfortable without healthcare here.

You are lucky you are close to your family in England ... my family are not close so, I don't have that draw though I do miss them sometimes, and the places that are really just familiar to me where I grew up... I have a family here and a good life, which, is just my husband and my two young children. I have to ask you this question. If you had a husband/partner and or your own children/family here would you be thinking of leaving? You just sound like you are missing family and not the place. My Mother is also aging, I do not have not had a great relationship with her, though recently things are changing and looking up. You just sound like something is missing here ... someone special a husband/partner ... you can always go visit with your family in the UK and they to you. If you went back you'd miss your career, and California, but perhaps you would be happy to be near your family but then would that be enough. It comes down to what do you value more?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

gingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud ofgingerliu has much to be proud of

Thanks Julie Rose. Yes, you are absolutely right. If I had my own family or partner here, then I wouldn't be so keen to leave. I have lived here for six years and this year is the first time I've felt this way. I was never homesick or never missed my family until this year. I've been long enough away from the UK not to miss the lifestyle. I miss my family, period. I would love to hang out with them at the weekends or have dinner during the week. If I move back I can have that but then I have to get used to the rain and wind, etc. Yes, I'm silly to think so far ahead. As I said in a previous post, I think I just need to get it out of my system for six months and then come back to LA with a full heart and head. We are a close family. Well, the crunch will come in May, 2009 when my cats will have the all clear on their rabies shots. I'm working my socks off here at my businesses so that I'm not stuck. Damn your beautiful Californian sun!!! HA!!!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:25 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Julie Rose. Yes, you are absolutely right. If I had my own family or partner here, then I wouldn't be so keen to leave. I have lived here for six years and this year is the first time I've felt this way. I was never homesick or never missed my family until this year. I've been long enough away from the UK not to miss the lifestyle. I miss my family, period. I would love to hang out with them at the weekends or have dinner during the week. If I move back I can have that but then I have to get used to the rain and wind, etc. Yes, I'm silly to think so far ahead. As I said in a previous post, I think I just need to get it out of my system for six months and then come back to LA with a full heart and head. We are a close family. Well, the crunch will come in May, 2009 when my cats will have the all clear on their rabies shots. I'm working my socks off here at my businesses so that I'm not stuck. Damn your beautiful Californian sun!!! HA!!!
Well it sounds like you have a lot going for you. Dual citizenship, your own business and no ties, which can be a good thing. Best to ignore those that try to wind-up
As a long term member I'm just glad I could step in and get the thread back on track with some diplomacy.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:35 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm thinking Octang is going to pee his pants...
Dammit. Late to the thread as usual. He who snoozes etc...

Yeah, she does sound perfect. Hmm, too perfect... <pinches chin>

Well, I'll get in line behind LL and his chopper, and DeanUK2US.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Octang Frye

Yeah, she does sound perfect. Hmm, too perfect... <pinches chin>

Quick before Ray wakes up.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:40 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Well it sounds like you have a lot going for you. Dual citizenship, your own business and no ties, which can be a good thing. Best to ignore those that try to wind-up
As a long term member I'm just glad I could step in and get the thread back on track with some diplomacy.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tooooooo funny

I'll never get me housework done at this rate.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:49 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye

Yeah, she does sound perfect. Hmm, too perfect...

You can have my place. Just to clarify I'm a dedicated family man with a beautiful Finnish wife and 2 great sons. My interest is purely to assuage any concerns from a fellow ex-pat Brit making a go of it by themselves in the California sunshine. I don't want to get her hopes up but my offer of platonic friendship is always there.
'Tis the season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.