Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I love California but my family are in the UK

I love California but my family are in the UK

Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love California but my family are in the UK

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, we are going to have to review "Light Hearted 201" in which the following was your clue:

[serious]
I'll send you a message to follow up.
[/serious]
D'oh!

I must be getting tired. Had to entertain big brother's three children today...
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Ray already sorta answered this but my take on it includes the fact that *those people* just don't want to do ANY research other than asking the first person they bump into "How do I move to Florida?". And by first person they bump into, I mean, first forum they bump into.

There used to be some protocol for talking to each other.. oh yeah, that is what you are referring to! Well, there is a protocol for using the internet, but no one wants to pay attention to it anymore.

If I want advice on a topic, I search around, find a forum (I like forums) and read for a little while. If it looks like the place that has the info I want, I spend a few minutes figuring out the best way to get that info. If I am going to be a n00b, I'm at least going to play by the rules that group has set out (usually found in sticky or pinned posts, FAQs, site rules etc).

We don't OWE anyone our information, and people like yourself who come in with a little bit of humility, humor, sincere desire etc usually get a better response than the ones who go off after hearing that they don't have a chance in hell at moving to Mickey.

There have been a lot of complaints about the tone around here lately. I'm not sure what to make of it, but there it is.
You know, I was thinking about this one.

Sure, it's annoying to see "I wanna come to the US, how do I do it?".

But I'm also reminded of that old saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all". Noone is obligated to respond.

But I have seen responses, and I believe at times from you, to the effect of "Read around the forum, here are some places to start (Pulaski's Ways) etc. and then come back with some specific questions". Works pretty well generally.

But for some, it seems to be more entertaining to see what a good put-down they can come up with. Not something people would generally do in real life (because they might get their lights punched out) nor imo very admirable. But it somehow seems to be acceptable by some on here. I think that is one of the things being commented on.

Sure, some people aren't the brightest bulbs in the box, aren't good at internet research, or made really really dumb decisions. But does that really mean they should be targets for ridicule and abuse? And I'm sure that's how some of them feel.

Sure - it's only pixels. And most of it doesn't really matter in real life. But in the immigration parts of the forum - people often do have real problems and turn to the forum for help. Which is, after all, why I suspect the immigration parts of the forum were created.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I do agree that rude comments are uncalled for at any time, but I must admit that if I did have a situation that was taking me to breaking point and I needed to talk about it, here would be one of the last places I'd choose - given that I know the kind of response that I'm likely to get.

There are one of several ways to maybe not attract attention that might be suitable material for the piss takers:

1. Don't pour your heart out! They thrive on that.
2. Don't attack them! They'll call on their gang to help defend them if you're too much for one to handle. (See my recent forays).
3. Don't make posts like this.
point taken - I'll try to rebuild my backbone and find that English humor that I have lost over the last 20 years!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
A lot would depend on what you call abusive
telling somebody they are stupid is not in my book

but then I can never remember ever being abused on any site
a few pixel means shit
I guess if you didn't have that picture flashing at you while reading your post one wouldn't really take it so wholeheartedly...but your face gives you away - you look grumpy and a pisstaker...

IMHO....
Old Dec 31st 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katieuk
If you go back to Ray's original comments, I think you'll find he wasn't being 'harsh' - just pointing out that the OP had already posted this back in July, and nothing much seems to have changed.
ok I see - thanks
will keep my mouth shut and will make sure I do research before posting any comments in the future....so as not to duplicate.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:10 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clangers
point taken - I'll try to rebuild my backbone and find that English humor that I have lost over the last 20 years!
You can do it, I know you can.

PS A sense of the ridiculous helps, well at least it did in Catch 22, but that's another story.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clangers
I guess if you didn't have that picture flashing at you while reading your post one wouldn't really take it so wholeheartedly...but your face gives you away - you look grumpy and a pisstaker...

IMHO....
Your right.. I have noticed flashing pics distract the feeble people ...
they cannot do two thing at once it seems.. seems it affects you ..

And your right, I am ...
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
But in the immigration parts of the forum - people often do have real problems and turn to the forum for help. Which is, after all, why I suspect the immigration parts of the forum were created.
The Immigration groups were actually Usenet feeds (predates the Web) which explains how a lot of us got to this site without a Brit connection. Usenet also had very serious protocols for posting and we didn't allow OT type posts because of bandwidth and speed issues for people around the world.
We just unhooked from Usenet last year.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've become accustomed to the forum at this point, but I do feel it would be a whole lot more useful if people would stay 'on topic' in the 'core' forums - eg, in the main 'USA' forum, especially when it comes to newbie posts.

Take this old thread as an example - happens to be one of the first threads I contributed to after joining BE. Perfectly reasonable question, but what is the first response? a sophomoric bit of 'humor' from you-know-who that I found offensive. After that bit of 'humor', people then started challenging the posters right to come here, even though he said he had a visa. Only after disposing of the 'humor', and 'proving' he was legit, did a real discussion start - maybe 3 pages into the thread. I personally think the humor, the banter, the clever shit should be reserved for the Trailer Park, etc - and/or, be used in response to seasoned posters who are already used to it. Looking back at that thread now, I see that Ray hasn't changed... even 5 pages into the thread he was still insisting his comment was 'truthful' .
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

... Usenet also had very serious protocols for posting and we didn't allow OT type posts because of bandwidth and speed issues ...
I beg to differ ... Usenet had serious protocols about OT posts because they wanted threads to be a useful resource and not get diluted
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is this Get at Ray Week...also known as you-know-who?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Nah, I like Ray when he's nice.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Nah, I like Ray when he's nice.
I am always bleedin nice....
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I am always bleedin nice....
No you're not.

But I like you anyway - Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 6:25 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Tracym
No you're not.
But I like you anyway - Happy New Year.
But I always say, what I would say, standing in front of people

It probably would not be reciprocated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.