Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I left the weather of York for....

I left the weather of York for....

Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I left the weather of York for....

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If he were to adjust successfully then the overstay would likely be 'forgiven.' However, I *thought* you had to enter the country, then magically decide to marry (surprise!), before you could adjust.

If you are already married, it's going to be immigrant intent on a VWP and it would seem that one would be harder to pull off. Definitely lawyer time.
Read your 1-485 ..its not a problem...
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Read your 1-485 ..its not a problem...
Wow.

Now the ten-foot-pole queue just got longer.....

And I myself wouldn't try it without a lawyer's advice....

of course there is MrF's golden rule:

"When someone asks you 'Do you know what time it is?' you answer 'Yes.'"

Last edited by snowbunny; Feb 4th 2007 at 10:03 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:50 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello stranger.

He wouldn't be able to travel anywhere outside the US would he?

Why is it legal for him to overstay his visa?
If he were to decide to now stay, he could indeed apply to adjust status without leaving on the basis of his marriage to a USC. There is nothing "illegal" about this. It would indeed not be wise to travel outside the US for a short time until he had had the paperwork processed. There are disadvantages to this method (as there are with all the methods) and the OP should research thoroughly before making his plans.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 3:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If you are already married, it's going to be immigrant intent on a VWP and it would seem that one would be harder to pull off. Definitely lawyer time.
It's all on the intent when you enter. You come over to have a look around with no intention of really staying, then subsequently decide this is the place for you and you'll stay. Wouldn't bother with the lawyer unless there are skeletons -- provided you are happy doing your homework, of course!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 5:55 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's all on the intent when you enter. You come over to have a look around with no intention of really staying, then subsequently decide this is the place for you and you'll stay. Wouldn't bother with the lawyer unless there are skeletons -- provided you are happy doing your homework, of course!
Agreed.... though I'll say that in my case, lawyer fees were well worth having my confidence boosted.

....even though I ended up doing DCF! (RIP)
Old Feb 10th 2007, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Mark! I came here to get married too. Let me know I can be of any help.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 3:41 am
Just Joined

eldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud of

Hi. Thank you for the warm welcome!!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:25 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eldewsio
Hi. Thank you for the warm welcome!!
Hello Mark,
Let me get this straight, you left beautiful, historical, spellbinding York for NEBRASKA?????
Who did you kill in a past life to get that punishment??

(Only joking, welcome to the forum.)
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:27 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hello Mark,
Let me get this straight, you left beautiful, historical, spellbinding York for NEBRASKA?????
Who did you kill in a past life to get that punishment??

(Only joking, welcome to the forum.)
Joke !! Seems to be a fair question ......
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

eldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud of

Believe me, it wasn't my choice to leave York
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:58 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Mark ......

Welcome to the USA and to this playground of sorts ..... First up ...yes it is phuckin cold

Visa wise .....find every bit of info YOU can ...ignore all the part time experts and know it alls ....Do everything from your own perspective ...People told me that the route I took to immgration was gonna be difficult and long etc etc ...in the end it was a doddle ..in the mean time I'd spent hundreds of dollars following the advice of so called forum guru's ....everycase is unique ..you do it your way ....

Good Luck

Paul
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

bethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to allbethel is a name known to all

I came here as a visitor and , oops, got married while I was here. Just had to fill in a lot of forms and wait in a lot of waiting rooms for a long time, but otherwise I had no problems at all. In fact we went to the INS for information and they just told us what to fill out etc. (there was an information desk in an upstairs office where they gave free and non-judgemental advice).
That was 12 years ago, maybe its different now.........
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethel
I came here as a visitor and , oops, got married while I was here. Just had to fill in a lot of forms and wait in a lot of waiting rooms for a long time, but otherwise I had no problems at all. In fact we went to the INS for information and they just told us what to fill out etc. (there was an information desk in an upstairs office where they gave free and non-judgemental advice).
yeah, it's changed lots since then.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 1:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power
Hello Mark ......

Welcome to the USA and to this playground of sorts ..... First up ...yes it is phuckin cold

Visa wise .....find every bit of info YOU can ...ignore all the part time experts and know it alls ....Do everything from your own perspective ...People told me that the route I took to immgration was gonna be difficult and long etc etc ...in the end it was a doddle ..in the mean time I'd spent hundreds of dollars following the advice of so called forum guru's ....everycase is unique ..you do it your way ....

Good Luck

Paul
Difference is, the OP is married to a septic, so it's a piece of piss getting the visa, it's just a matter of time and which route to take, but AOS'ing when entering VWP is probably the most dodgy way of doing it.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:52 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by bethel

Twelve years ago, were they talking about building a fence between the US and Mexico? Requiring proof of citizenship before you could get a driver's licence? Need I go on?