Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I left the weather of York for....

I left the weather of York for....

Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:40 am
Just Joined

eldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud of
Default I left the weather of York for....

.....lots and lots of snow.

Hi folks!

I'm Mark and I am 24 years old from York.

I have just arrived in Omaha, Nebraska yesterday with my wife who is an American.

We decided after a lot of thought that it was the right time to try and start over in the states after living in York together for the last year. I thought if I didn't do it now I never would.

I haven't applied for my visa yet but I have a feeling that it's going to be the least fun part of my new American adventure.

I stumbled across this site by accident and everyone seems really friendly, so I was hoping to speak to some people in similar situations etc.

So this is my first hello!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:55 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I left the weather of York for....

Hi, welcome to the forum.

"I haven't applied for my visa yet" So you are overstaying on a VWP? I thought that was a no no. You should start a thread in the US marriage immigration section of the forum.

York is a nice place to live, If I lived there I probably would never leave.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:59 am
Just Joined

eldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud ofeldewsio has much to be proud of

Technically, i am here on an extended holiday. I'm not working, I'm gonna be living on my savings whislt the visa goes through. I have been talking to a guy from Yorkshire who lives in Omaha and he did the same thing and had no problem obtaining a visa.

To be absolutely honest, I haven't a clue when it comes to the visa stuff. I'm really nervous about the whole process.

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Hi, welcome to the forum.

"I haven't applied for my visa yet" So you are overstaying on a VWP? I thought that was a no no. You should start a thread in the US marriage immigration section of the forum.

York is a nice place to live, If I lived there I probably would never leave.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:01 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eldewsio

Hi folks!

I have just arrived in Omaha, Nebraska yesterday with my wife who is an American.

We decided after a lot of thought that it was the right time to try and start over in the states after living in York together for the last year. I thought if I didn't do it now I never would.

I haven't applied for my visa yet but I have a feeling that it's going to be the least fun part of my new American adventure.

I stumbled across this site by accident and everyone seems really friendly, so I was hoping to speak to some people in similar situations etc.

Hello Mark and welcome to BE. Gosh Nebraska - you did do research on weather there before you moved well you must not mind snow then!
Good age to come here as its all an adventure (well I came in my 20's and that what I thought and still like it here )
There are plenty of 'mixed marriages' (US to UK) here.
Everyone (mostly ) is friendly here and the ones that aren't are just joking
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Hello Mark and welcome to BE. Gosh Nebraska - you did do research on weather there before you moved well you must not mind snow then!
Good age to come here as its all an adventure (well I came in my 20's and that what I thought and still like it here )
There are plenty of 'mixed marriages' (US to UK) here.
Everyone (mostly ) is friendly here and the ones that aren't are just joking
Our lass told me it would be cold but this is the coldest I have ever experienced.
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:09 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark, I hope your adventure is fun.. have some welcome lovin'
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anabella

Thanky you anabella!!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:13 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

To be absolutely honest, I haven't a clue when it comes to the visa stuff. I'm really nervous about the whole process.
Excellent advice in the visa and immigration forums, hopefully that will make you feel less nervous
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by anabella
If admin took away that smiley you'd be lost wouldn't you
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:16 am
Just Joined

Excellent advice in the visa and immigration forums, hopefully that will make you feel less nervous

I'm gonna bury my head in that section and see what I can find. I definitely makes a difference when the advice comes from people in the same boat.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:52 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

If admin took away that smiley you'd be lost wouldn't you

I think I'd die of a broken heart..
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

HI Mark, welcome to BE. Hope you and your good lady manage to stay warm
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:12 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If you are here as a visitor under the Visa Waiver Program you have only ninety days before you MUST leave the country. What is the date on your I-94 immigration form (which you must keep)?

Did your wife have indefinite leave to remain status in the UK?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks!

Hello Mark...welcome to BE.

I was in York a couple of weeks ago...there's a lot of flooding there at the moment.

As others have said ask for advice in the Visa Section....whatever you do you don't want to get on the wrong side of the USCIS.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everybody for being so nice.

I am here on the visa waiver program and I intend to return to the UK at some point to see my parents.....and I agree, I really really don't want to piss the USCIS.

I'll be doing a hell of a lot of reading up. It can get a tad confusing when there are different stories from different people and then trying to choose which is the right advice, but believe me when I say, I'd rather have loads of advice then none at all. I am truly grateful to everyone on this site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.