Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Originally Posted by Mandana
How far away are you? If you're not too far, want to hook up?
Erm .. Chicago! A bit far for a coffee!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Manti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud of

wow you seem to be really busy!it's great!
i'm going through the stage where you percept the place where you live differently than when you arrived..pretty interesting, but crazy sometimes.

Feel like i'm 5 and Mom forgot to get me from day care...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention I'm also letting a room I have about to be vacated back home (have some properties I let out, and in my wisdom, decided to do it all myself apart from the viewings). Keeps me both sane, and insane!!

Are you able to join any groups or meet up with anyone from the ex-pat community near you? Or take on some voluntary or PT work? Or enrol in a college course?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Manti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud ofManti has much to be proud of

I work full time, joined a volleyball team and bought roller blades trying to keep myself busy as well. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
Maybe after coming back will start learning Spanish.

And also..we are looking for a house now which freaks me out with
the seriousness of the matter. "Oh my God, now we'll have a place here!"
Very strange feeling. On one side exciting -a home! on the other i feel a bit trapped.

Dunno if it makes sense.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:45 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manti
Very strange feeling. On one side exciting -a home! on the other i feel a bit trapped.

Dunno if it makes sense.
Sure it makes sense.... putting down roots can feel comforting but also tying you to one spot. Life is full of conflicting emotions.

Try not to buy a house that costs near the top of your budget, or that would be difficult to sell (eg on a busy road). That could give you peace of mind that if you needed or wanted to sell up, you could.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Manti
I work full time, joined a volleyball team and bought roller blades trying to keep myself busy as well. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.
Maybe after coming back will start learning Spanish.

Dunno if it makes sense.
It does make sense Manti - perfect sense. I guess for some of us it's harder to adjust. I know I still have my down days - probably will for a long time. But that's normal, right? Hope you're feeling better soon

I've just written a long 'Round Robin' to the guys back home as I've not written to them since just before we moved. That's a month ago! Time sure does fly.

And now I'm off to bed as we're up at 5 to catch our flight to Cancun

See y'all in a week!

Mandana x
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Have a great trip!!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:03 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Down in the dumps. Tears not more than a blink away. Feeling like I'm alone with no friends or familiar places to visit.

A bit sorry for myself today
Sorry to hear of the homesickness- as for me-its never gone away and ive been here since 1990- It gets worse every time the football seasons starts coz I cant go !!
IM *trying* to talk my US wife into moving to the UK.....(its an ongoing process)
:-)
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
Sorry to hear of the homesickness- as for me-its never gone away and ive been here since 1990- It gets worse every time the football seasons starts coz I cant go !!
IM *trying* to talk my US wife into moving to the UK.....(its an ongoing process)
Welcome to BE callowman just sent you some karma ((((hug's)))).
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

oh eck callowman....been here since 1990! sounds like a prison sentence to me

hope you get to return home soon.....i can't wait
Old Aug 15th 2007, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh heck .. 17 years worth of homesickness must be terrible. I don't know if I could have stood 17 weeks of what I went through at the beginning, never mind years.

Have to say it's been pretty good these past few weeks, but then I've had a great holiday in Mexico and had family over for the past week too. Just come home from seeing them off at the airport. We're both pretty right now. So much so we've resorted to comfort food and just about to put a movie on. We were going to go to the gym but vetoed that idea!

Hope you feel better soon Callowman - or talk your wife round!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh heck .. 17 years worth of homesickness must be terrible. I don't know if I could have stood 17 weeks of what I went through at the beginning, never mind years.

Have to say it's been pretty good these past few weeks, but then I've had a great holiday in Mexico and had family over for the past week too. Just come home from seeing them off at the airport. We're both pretty right now. So much so we've resorted to comfort food and just about to put a movie on. We were going to go to the gym but vetoed that idea!

Hope you feel better soon Callowman - or talk your wife round!
Sounds like you're doing much better - well done!