Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:24 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I guess this is what they call 'homesickness'

Originally Posted by Mandana
...We're in Houston...
'nuff said!

Welcome to Texas. We're a few hours north of you, where you don't need a snorkel to breathe the air in the summer.

Escape down to the seaside. Take a weekend trip to Galveston or Padre Island and go watch the dolphins and sea turtles. I find that when I miss Britain, experiencing something uniquely American (well, something positive and American, at least) does wonders.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You've only been here a couple of weeks...you should be still in the 'honeymoon period'. Reality usually sets in after about 3 months.

Most of us have been there...if it's any consolation. At least you have BE...you can always come on here for a chat and a laugh. Not to mention advice...whether you want it or not.
I got the full dose immediately
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I got the full dose immediately
I know you did...but you feel more settled now don't you?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you did...but you feel more settled now don't you?
Yes lots - I'm glad I sat it out.

we're here for you Mandana
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:03 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Down in the dumps. Tears not more than a blink away. Feeling like I'm alone with no friends or familiar places to visit.

A bit sorry for myself today
Cheer up girl, there are always more good things than bad ones around us, just try to have a positive outlook... I am sorry to hear that you are feeling so lonely but hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.. have some loving ...
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:55 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I had an ex-girlfriend (American) who moved to Houston to be closer to her new fiancee (or 'finance' if you watch Raising Arizona). After three months, all alone knowing basically her soon to be husband and a Nintendo, she gave back the ring and returned to her home. The lonliness down there was pretty powerful I guess (and yeah, well a few other things).

Things will get better (and, sorry to say, you'll have some days that seem quite a bit worse). I can only suggest you really take advantage of a) other things to do (explore the city a bit, go out to eat, buy something) b) whatever contacts you do have back home (get Vonage or Skype or AIM and call back to the UK / video conference with friends) and c) try to watch a few things from home every now and then. Download a movie or tv show and watch it and you'd be suprised how an hour of listening to accents and characters you are used to will go toward making you feel a bit better.

You can always come here and post whatever it is that is bugging you. There are probably a dozen or two people here 24 hours a day it seems.

You can also read other tales of homesickness and adjustment, but this from Americans in the UK (yea, it's not just you). Many of their tales mirror yours

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=68.0

Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:09 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Eat a packet of HobNob and have a pot of tea with it ...
it cures all.......
Here's a hug {{{}}} from me too. My homesickness has only just kicked in, and I've been here 4 and a half years!!! All came at me at once, too, which is a real bitch!

If you have a Publix supermarket near you, go check out the ethnic food aisle. Some of them carry luvverly British goodies like Hob Nobs, Digestives, Maltesers, etc, and that helps (in a weird way), as Ray said. If you can find a British store, even better!

All the best to you, and I hope you feel better soon!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:15 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Down in the dumps. Tears not more than a blink away. Feeling like I'm alone with no friends or familiar places to visit.

A bit sorry for myself today
It's a horrible feeling.
I felt homesick before I even left the UK! The first few weeks here were awful, I really missed all the familiar things of home. We moved staright into our house but it wasn't "our" house if you know what I mean...someone elses wallpaper, colours etc. We had done up our house in the UK from top to bottom and this just didn't feel like home.

Then we started meeting people, finding our way around and I felt ok. Then homesickness hit hard early this year. I would sit and look at photos on the internet of home and read my old local rag and just weep.
Everyone says go out and volunteer, sightsee etc but I didn't want to...I just wanted to go home

I feel ok now and am enjoying life here. I am sure it is only a temporary and fragile peace but it might not be. Who cares...I decided to live for the moment and just enjoy each day one at a time.
My dog was my lifesaver because for him I had to leave the house each day and through him I met a lot of my friends.
Hope today is a better day for you
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

oh dear...been here done that....

a few tips for u, u said this ..."Finding little things my OH says and does irritating, which is also upsetting me. Perhaps it's because he doesn't understand how I'm feeling (has good lip-service, but comments he makes shows he doesn't really get it) is the underlying reason why I'm niggled."

solution
When ur making his cup of brew in the morning.. spit in it, stir it up nicely and when he is drinking it try not to piss urself - I found this form of "pay back" when my mom got married to the what i thought was the biggest penile on the planet, (however in later years realised that there actually is a colony of peniles!) anyway watching him drink my speciallity made me just feel all warm and fuzzy inside..

I know where ur coming from and I am sure many have been there. If u want the correct answers dont go to ur hubby - come to BE!! Its where i came to, and i am sure many others with the same chat up line.. OMG what the hell am i doing here!

I found apple pie and vanilla ice cream helps...!! and am eagerly awaiting the ALLI diet pill to come out in a few days where upon I will be talking to u all from the bathroom!

If u need amusement then I can suggest a day out at walmart, great place for the bored housewife. Take ur camera!!!

Internet helps a lot, skype is the answer to keep in touch back home.

Dont look to hubby for answers, he aint with u yet, he is working and enjoying the adventure. Can u go out to work?

look forward to moving into ur house, and SHOPPING for all the things u cant live without. that normally makes me feel better.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

My homesickness didn't really kick in until we had been here about 12 months. I was really depressed and was on the point of getting the next flight back home. In the end I went to see my doctor who was great. She's from Poland and her husband from England and we had a long chat about how awful homesickness can be. She recommended that I take St John's Wort and see how I felt in a couple of weeks. I couldn't believe how much better I felt after taking it for only a week. I stopped taking it after about a month and now when I feel the dreaded homesickness starting I take it for a couple of days and it really does make me feel better.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine wasnt so much homesickness but the mars and venus syndrome. My doc put me on anti depressants which i took for three days and binned them. The problem aint going to go away just by taking a few pills. When i went to see her again she said it aint to solve the problem its to stop me killing my hubby. - No pills anymore but on the way to having a beautiful garden. I spend hours in there planting and digging... and make him take me to get new plants which he does because it "keeps me happy" lol... oh and i spit a couple of times .. if he really naffs me off big time..
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
My homesickness didn't really kick in until we had been here about 12 months. I was really depressed and was on the point of getting the next flight back home. In the end I went to see my doctor who was great. She's from Poland and her husband from England and we had a long chat about how awful homesickness can be. She recommended that I take St John's Wort and see how I felt in a couple of weeks. I couldn't believe how much better I felt after taking it for only a week. I stopped taking it after about a month and now when I feel the dreaded homesickness starting I take it for a couple of days and it really does make me feel better.
SJW worked for me too...I took it one evening and the next morning I felt like my old self again. Prior to that I wanted to stay in bed under the duvet all day...when I did get up I used to sit crying. If I went out whenever anyone spoke to me I would burst into tears. I took it for a couple of months...whenever I feel down in the dumps out comes the bottle of SJW for a few days.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

SJW worked for me too...I took it one evening and the next morning I felt like my old self again. Prior to that I wanted to stay in bed under the duvet all day...when I did get up I used to sit crying. If I went out whenever anyone spoke to me I would burst into tears. I took it for a couple of months...whenever I feel down in the dumps out comes the bottle of SJW for a few days.
wot is it??? and does it taste like ??? can u buy it bulk??
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I take two a day ever since you told me about it, now that must be getting on for two years now, I feel I must take them because I know that feeling is just always simmering away and when I feel about to spill over then it's the full six a day.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
wot is it??? and does it taste like ??? can u buy it bulk??
I buy it from my local supermarket. I think the tablets smell like rotting grass cuttings. They don't taste too clever so I take them with a large glass of water. The main thing is that it works for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.