Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I don’t want to go home!!

I don’t want to go home!!

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I don’t want to go home!!

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Thank you for all of your kind replies.

The help that is given here is so great. How did people ever manage to emigrate succesfully before this place existed. I am sure life was a lot harder for those people.

I couldn't agree more with everything that you have said. However do the immigration department really take into consideration the fact that one "has arrived and returned" on any future visa applications that I may make?

That is a fantastic story. If I could emulate at least half of what you have achieved I would be happy. Congratulations on your success.

By any chance is there an old post or a blog that you can dig out that describes your move to the us in better detail. Please don't worry if you doint - I do not expect you to type it all out for me.

How come? I can't see any mistakes

Uhhh that is a nasty image that is making me dread going back even more. Thanks. I will sure as hell give it a go though

I disagree. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule but I beleive that most people will experiance culture shock to a certain degree. (I know I did). People adjust at different rates. Maybe you were super quick and becoming aclimatised to your new life.

Come to think of it I wonder what happens when a couple or family emigrate together and one person stuggles to adjust as much as everyone else. I am sure that this has been covered and there will be many such personal tales on this board. Search button here I come
Hi Mark Hold on tight to your dreams My son did 2 stints in the US during his 4 year Uni course and loved it from the outset but its the Uni quali's you need so come back, Sheffield aint that bad! Finish your course all the while keeping an eye on the sits vac in USA and other options. My son has now been in USA for 9 years and loves it and is in the process of getting his citizenship so it does work. WOrst thing to do, as others have pointed out is to overstay. If its worth having its worth waiting for. good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I came to the US on vacation while at Uni, flying into LA, greyhound bus to San Diego, then on to SF. I fell in love with San Francisco. I walked myself to death on the streets every day, and stayed with the friendliest of people at night - total strangers (well, friends-of-friends-of-friends) who invited me into their home (and got me stoned every night ... -ah the memories ... ).

I simply felt 'at home'. That was in 1980. I returned, finished my degree in 81, (thank goodness - needed it for the visa!), and got a job in London. Then one miserable, dreary, cold winters day in '83 my boss asked me if I'd go to the US to help out a subsidiary ... and the rest is history !

If you want something enough, it will happen.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 10:54 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I came to the US on vacation while at Uni, flying into LA, greyhound bus to San Diego, then on to SF. I fell in love with San Francisco. I walked myself to death on the streets every day, and stayed with the friendliest of people at night - total strangers (well, friends-of-friends-of-friends) who invited me into their home (and got me stoned every night ... -ah the memories ... ).

I simply felt 'at home'. That was in 1980. I returned, finished my degree in 81, (thank goodness - needed it for the visa!), and got a job in London. Then one miserable, dreary, cold winters day in '83 my boss asked me if I'd go to the US to help out a subsidiary ... and the rest is history !

Ooooooooor, if you focus all your earthly (and otherworldly) attention on something and never, ever, ever, (ever) give up, it has the bestest odds of happening.
Given a decent tail wind and a loaded die once in a while.

Me, I was on an albino vole hunting trip in Greenland and got lost in a blizzard, longly ending up in Berkeley, by way of Mazatlan. It was September as I recall and the hash cakes had had a bumper crop that year.
After several months in a colourful torpor, I finally found my trousers and wallet and hitched a ride on a Greyhound to suburbia. We came in 4th and I kept the little mechanical rabbit as a memento. We parted good friends but the bugger still owes me $50 for the all the drinks and the stripper.

America waxed and waned. Walls came down, rockets went up and came down in bits, chief executives got nobbed in front of pictures of Washington and then things really started to get surreal when 2 tall things didn't stay up and made a lot of smoke coming down. Next thing you know, it seems we won the war (what war???) and everyone is a bleedin foreigner.

But enough of my fascinating sex life.

Its not a bad old place really. They tend to make it all look very similar and it needs a shot of personality sometimes, but the plain and ordinary locals are quite nice if you don't stare too long at their teeth.
There is deffo a change in the air here. Or is the faint memory of that curry we had last week? Either way, this place seems pretty ripe for a shake up. Some say (the Stig) the party is over and its now time for Act 2.
Now I might be wrong, but it seems that thats the bit when the poor widow gets tied down onto the train tracks and the hero is seen off in the distance filling his horse up on cheapo unleaded.

Could that have been one of those random sexual fantasies? Or was it just that Berkeley was so very, very good in the 80's. Well, the chicks were leggier and prettier and I had more hair, thats for sure. Ho hum.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Ooooooooor, if you focus all your earthly (and otherworldly) attention on something and never, ever, ever, (ever) give up, it has the bestest odds of happening.
Given a decent tail wind and a loaded die once in a while.

Me, I was on an albino vole hunting trip in Greenland and got lost in a blizzard, longly ending up in Berkeley, by way of Mazatlan. It was September as I recall and the hash cakes had had a bumper crop that year.
After several months in a colourful torpor, I finally found my trousers and wallet and hitched a ride on a Greyhound to suburbia. We came in 4th and I kept the little mechanical rabbit as a memento. We parted good friends but the bugger still owes me $50 for the all the drinks and the stripper.

America waxed and waned. Walls came down, rockets went up and came down in bits, chief executives got nobbed in front of pictures of Washington and then things really started to get surreal when 2 tall things didn't stay up and made a lot of smoke coming down. Next thing you know, it seems we won the war (what war???) and everyone is a bleedin foreigner.

But enough of my fascinating sex life.

Its not a bad old place really. They tend to make it all look very similar and it needs a shot of personality sometimes, but the plain and ordinary locals are quite nice if you don't stare too long at their teeth.
There is deffo a change in the air here. Or is the faint memory of that curry we had last week? Either way, this place seems pretty ripe for a shake up. Some say (the Stig) the party is over and its now time for Act 2.
Now I might be wrong, but it seems that thats the bit when the poor widow gets tied down onto the train tracks and the hero is seen off in the distance filling his horse up on cheapo unleaded.

Could that have been one of those random sexual fantasies? Or was it just that Berkeley was so very, very good in the 80's. Well, the chicks were leggier and prettier and I had more hair, thats for sure. Ho hum.
Just how much acid did you take in the old days, Mr. Xebedee? Ironically, I did most of my 'mind expansion' in London ... but with California ingredients ... Coming to SF was kind-of a pilgrimage to Mecca; I had to visit Haight-Ashbury ... Once I actually settled here, I was having too much fun to pursue such things (I think I needed it more in London to counter the weather and the people ....)
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just how much acid did you take in the old days, Mr. Xebedee? Ironically, I did most of my 'mind expansion' in London ... but with California ingredients ... Coming to SF was kind-of a pilgrimage to Mecca; I had to visit Haight-Ashbury ... Once I actually settled here, I was having too much fun to pursue such things (I think I needed it more in London to counter the weather and the people ....)
I'm sure you're both discussing a novel you both read some time ago (unless you're both already natz'd ). Maybe it was a movie....
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm sure you're both discussing a novel you both read some time ago (unless you're both already natz'd ). Maybe it was a movie....
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest ...

or ...

The Electric Kook Aid Acid Test ...

if you haven't read 'cuckoo's nest' then you should. And if you have, pay attention to those descriptions by the 'Chief' of how the walls changed at night ... that's the most awesome acid-inspired writing ... (Kesey was experimenting with Acid when he wrote that book - paid to do so by Stanford University, no less!)
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

That is a fantastic story. If I could emulate at least half of what you have achieved I would be happy. Congratulations on your success.

By any chance is there an old post or a blog that you can dig out that describes your move to the us in better detail. Please don't worry if you doint - I do not expect you to type it all out for me.

- I don't think I did ever post a full description, but I would be happy to PM you about it! Let me know what you'd like to know.

Last edited by The_English_Bride; Aug 23rd 2008 at 12:10 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest ...

or ...

The Electric Kook Aid Acid Test ...

if you haven't read 'cuckoo's nest' then you should. And if you have, pay attention to those descriptions by the 'Chief' of how the walls changed at night ... that's the most awesome acid-inspired writing ... (Kesey was experimenting with Acid when he wrote that book - paid to do so by Stanford University, no less!)
duuuuude.. my cred is intact. Born in SFO, went to school in Eugene, settled in the Hippy Retirement Zone. I think it's required reading here.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

duuuuude.. my cred is intact. Born in SFO, went to school in Eugene, settled in the Hippy Retirement Zone. I think it's required reading here.
And where is the 'Hippy Retirement Zone'?
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really niceJane1961 is just really nice

Hey Mark,
the flippant response is you're from sheffield so surely anywhere in the world is a better alternative!!!!!!!!!

(I'm from that area as well!!!!!!!!!)

I have never felt so much as home as when I am in the USA, there is just a feel to the country that is totally different to the UK and I know it suits me down to the ground. I suppose most people on here have had that feeling at some point.

For what it's worth all I can say is drop the rose tinted glasses and ask deep in your heart whether it is really what you want - if the answer is yes set yourself some goals - specific ones with a timescale so that you can take constructive steps when you're back in the UK to move your life in the direction you want it to go

All the best, hope everyhting works out

Old Aug 24th 2008, 5:39 am

And where is the 'Hippy Retirement Zone'?
Portland OR.. in Google's backyard! (Yahoo's here too)
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Portland OR.. in Google's backyard! (Yahoo's here too)
There may be a branch there but Googles and Yahoos headquarters are in the Silicon Valley.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Michael
There may be a branch there but Googles and Yahoos headquarters are in the Silicon Valley.
Thanks, I'm aware of that.
No one wants their headquarters in the City of Portland; it's becoming a bit of an issue.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

Evening,

What a fantastic story. I have done a similar thing in San Diego - pounding the streets and seeing new areas. (People were shocked when I told them that I went for an afternoon wander around National City )

That is the life that I envy and aspire to.

The_English_Bride - I have sent you a quick PM.

For what it's worth all I can say is drop the rose tinted glasses and ask deep in your heart whether it is really what you want - if the answer is yes set yourself some goals - specific ones with a timescale so that you can take constructive steps when you're back in the UK to move your life in the direction you want it to go
Thank you for this. Today is a good mood day and I have an air of optimism about me. Surely if I set my heart on it and work at it the answer will come to me eventually!

At the moment I am only 20 years old (which is not old enough to get into most of the bars - nevermind getting an alcoholic beverage ) I have my whole life ahead of me to decide if I should and want to make the move. (excluding visa difficulties etc)

One month of travelling accross the states for me is ahead now

Then back to the UK to finish my degree.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

scbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud ofscbrit has much to be proud of

Good Luck Mark! I went over to the states via BUNAC in 1993 (absolutely loved the place), then went back on holiday the next year and after I finished University in Swansea 95, a friend and I went back to go traveling, well I met up with a friend I had made over there, ended up not travelling, ended up getting engaged instead!! I went home to get the fiance visa and a wedding dress, and then spent the next 11 years in the US!! We have just moved back to England for a trial, but looks like we will be heading back over soon! Anyway good luck whatever happens!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.