Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I did it, I got an SUV

I did it, I got an SUV

Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:10 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I did it, I got an SUV

Originally Posted by Philk
I ended up with my first SUV - 2006 Hyundai Tuscon.
Exactly the same as the first car we bought when we arrived in 08 and still have it. Wife loves it!
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
I like the Elantra I could do with it being a bit bigger and the SantaFe sport would fit the bill for us quite nicely.
I've heard it could do with a spare tire and jack etc.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:49 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I've heard it could do with a spare tire and jack etc.
Haha, well that too! The compressor works remarkably well (though I've only ever used it on other peoples cars) - I've not used the sealant fill that's supplied with it though. I don't suppose the Sonata is any different though I have no idea tbh.

For those that don't have a clue what we're going on about the Elantra doesn't have a spare tire, just a compressor and a repair kit with sealant in it.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

For those that don't have a clue what we're going on about the Elantra doesn't have a spare tire, just a compressor and a repair kit with sealant in it.
That's going to do you a world of good if you pop a bead on a pothole
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:17 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's going to do you a world of good if you pop a bead on a pothole
I would need to check but I'm fairly certain as well as having no spare, there's also no jack and no wrench...!

I was aware when I bought the car but to be honest, I'd never have my wife change a spare so I'd purchased roadside assistance for the car in any case.

My Acadia has a stupid space saver (surely there's enough room under the car for a full sized spare!) with the worst jack design known to man (fixed 90 degree elbow) which means you have to take the handle off every half turn as it hits the floor. I got on to the GMC service tech's about it recently and they agreed with me it was silly! The jack is also locked in the back quarter of the trunk in a place that's quite hard to get it in/out.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I would need to check but I'm fairly certain as well as having no spare, there's also no jack and no wrench...!
It's OK - you don't live in Illinois. Here, one's odds of running into (or over) a pothole are greatly increased.

It happened to me twice, but my car is a base trim with steel rims, so the softness of the metal that allows them to be dented to the extent that they'll pop the bead also allowed a mechanic friend of mine to be able to beat it back into shape to allow the tyre to be refit.

After the second time though, I bought a new wheel.

My Acadia has a stupid space saver (surely there's enough room under the car for a full sized spare!) with the worst jack design known to man (fixed 90 degree elbow) which means you have to take the handle off every half turn as it hits the floor. I got on to the GMC service tech's about it recently and they agreed with me it was silly! The jack is also locked in the back quarter of the trunk in a place that's quite hard to get it in/out.
There is enough room for a full-size. They just don't seem to supply full-size spares with cars that often. I had a stupid space saver with my car but after buying that new wheel, I now use the old, makeshift repaired one as a full size spare.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I used to think that but my back has been giving me problems, and I finally traded in my Acura TL for a boring Honda CR-V 'Crossover' (let's not mix SUV, which is typically a big monster, with Crossover, which is really just a sedan with a bit of a different configuration ...). The seating position is awesome, my back is happy, and I can carry a shit-load more stuff. My gas mileage is better too. I will never go back to anything with low seating, mid-life crisis be damned ... . I look back on my Acura TL, which was very sporty, and realize it was a bumpy, uncomfortable vehicle. I don't give a shit if my CR-V doesn't give me whiplash when I put my foot down ... I'm over that ...
I believe that you may actually be right. All my life I owned small cars, TR4-A, Porsche 914, Nissan 280Z, Nissan 300ZX, and currently a BMW 330CI and initially I had little back problems but as I got older, my back would ache on trips. Now with my BMW with every possible seat control imaginable, even short trips can cause my back to ache.

I suspect part of the problem is sitting too low and the hardness of expensive leather molded car seats since I can sit at my computer at home all day long and never have any back pain.

If I ever get a new vehicle, it will likely be a SUV.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 7:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

there isn't and I was very disappointed that it didn't come with a spare. was told that is to help lower the weight of the car so you get better mileage.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:05 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Rete
there isn't and I was very disappointed that it didn't come with a spare. was told that is to help lower the weight of the car so you get better mileage.
Which they lied about!

I think the whole EPA mileage thing is a complete joke but that's a whole other conversation.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, well that too! The compressor works remarkably well (though I've only ever used it on other peoples cars) - I've not used the sealant fill that's supplied with it though. I don't suppose the Sonata is any different though I have no idea tbh.

I'm not sure that concept is any worse that those undersized tires as spares that are usually flat when needed and could possibly ruin the differential.

However after reading an article from Consumer reports, the tire repair fluid is $94 and a new tire is only $131 so at the price for the fluid, it doesn't appear to be ready for prime time.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...flat/index.htm

With a blowout, you'll waste the $94 fluid, have to get a tow, and purchase a new tire.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:46 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Michael
I'm not sure that concept is any worse that those undersized tires as spares that are usually flat when needed and could possibly ruin the differential.
Oh I agree, don't like the space saver spares either!
What's wrong with a good old fashioned spare tire?

I really don't get it on my Acadia as it's stored under the car in any case. I may have to see if I can purchase a full sized spare. It's ridiculous driving the thing on the space saver (had to do 3 times since I bought it due to construction debris in my neighborhood).
Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
An SUV/AWD is a lot nicer than a sedan in the winter.
Originally Posted by Hiro11

Yeah, if I lived in an area with harsh weather, then an SUV would be a no brainier. The wife has a forester, not technically an SUV, but the extra space often comes in handy.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe that you may actually be right. All my life I owned small cars, TR4-A, Porsche 914, Nissan 280Z, Nissan 300ZX, and currently a BMW 330CI and initially I had little back problems but as I got older, my back would ache on trips. Now with my BMW with every possible seat control imaginable, even short trips can cause my back to ache.

I suspect part of the problem is sitting too low and the hardness of expensive leather molded car seats since I can sit at my computer at home all day long and never have any back pain.

If I ever get a new vehicle, it will likely be a SUV.
I did something similar. I had a 325i and traded it for a 2011 Ford Edge Limited last December. I was also having problems getting in and out of it and my wife hated riding in it.

The Edge is a nice CUV with plenty of room and a nice driving position. Being the Limited, it has lots of toys including Nav and even a self-lifting tailgate.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:24 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I did something similar. I had a 325i and traded it for a 2011 Ford Edge Limited last December. I was also having problems getting in and out of it and my wife hated riding in it.

The Edge is a nice CUV with plenty of room and a nice driving position. Being the Limited, it has lots of toys including Nav and even a self-lifting tailgate.
The Edge is really nice and I was really surprised at just how spacious and comfortable it is inside. It's a little expensive though when you start adding on options but it's really up there in terms of the best CUVs (or midsized SUV).
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:24 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't get the Mustang attraction to me it looks like a CHAVS car and is as common as muck in the US .......I do like some of the Subaru's the outback is kinda nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.