Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I Can't Take Any More...

I Can't Take Any More...

Old May 30th 2004, 5:49 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I Can't Take Any More...

Originally posted by Gross50
if you want the real deal, get a Mac. its heavy duty and you can watch as much streaming as you can handle.

as for laptops you get what you pay for. nothing compares to an IBM.

i wouldnt touch an athlon processor with a 40 ft pole. keep away from them.
Hmm, I wouldn't be touching your advice with a 40ft pole unless you could tell me why to avoid athlon processors. I've used them before with no problems.

Luckily I have plenty of experience in the biz and can take your advice for what it is, but less experienced people may not, and may be put off a perfectly good computer on the basis of your advice...

And I mean all this in a good way - just curious about the backstory here...

Old May 30th 2004, 9:53 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: I Can't Take Any More...

Originally posted by ukemigrant
Hmm, I wouldn't be touching your advice with a 40ft pole unless you could tell me why to avoid athlon processors. I've used them before with no problems.

Luckily I have plenty of experience in the biz and can take your advice for what it is, but less experienced people may not, and may be put off a perfectly good computer on the basis of your advice...

And I mean all this in a good way - just curious about the backstory here...

had a pc, with amd processor, didnt last one yr. bought a laptop with amd processor for my brother. good bargain, but didnt last a month. on the other hand i still have a 95 laptop with an intel processor.
Old May 31st 2004, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a Compaq Presario in March 2000,we had nothing but problems,I kept calling tech support but the thing just drove me crazy!,in desperation I called the Best Buy store where we bought it,just to be told the was a problem with the modem!,they changed the entire computer package and we upgraded to one with a DVD player!...since then Compaq replaced the printer and the monitor,but the computer was okay...until the warranty ran out!,surprisingly!......eventually,earlier this year,we took it to a local computer repair shop,and the tech guy put in a new 'motherboard' and 'hard disk' (nearly $700!),but it works better than it ever did!.....he also told us that he has more 'HP' computers brought in for repair than any others.....in all fairness he did say that the new Compaqs seem to be good,but after all the trouble we've had with ours,we'll never buy another Compaq....oh! ours is a 'desktop' by the way!.....good luck with whatever you choose to go with......I have a feeling it's the luck of the draw anyway!!.......Sophia
Old May 31st 2004, 2:54 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

gross50 - you comment about AMD processors is pretty useless -

you say the amd pc failed - was the CPU at fault? I very much doubt it.

if amd was so bad why do IBM, sun microsystems and HP/Compaq produce pcs based on them?

I have had 5 identical laptops with Intel CPUS and 4 have failed - but I don't tell people to stay away from intel

Macs are very over-priced for the level of functionality and performance you get

Although i do agree that IBM laptops are #1
Old May 31st 2004, 3:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

This is all a bit irrelavent..I have no idea what Gross 50 says as I have him on ignore...but we all have our favorites in most things
I am a Dodge man and will moan about Ford..but in all truth they are just as good as each other. I use a Dell and am on the third one and never had a problem ..but a friend who did own a Dell had nothing BUT problems .. Another friend has a Packard Bell of around 1996 vintage with a huge 1.2GB hard drive and its never missed a beat..Whereas the MIL had the same...and it never worked from new..but it took here years to figure that out..
And as for phoning the helpline and getting a poor English speaker. I called my local cable company at the local office and apparently they only speak klingon..never did get that resolved.. May the luck be with you ..
Old May 31st 2004, 6:51 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

amd computers are cheap cause they cant match intel. with few exceptions, better quality stuff come with a price tag. if you can afford a HP, buy it. if you can pay more, buy an IBM.

the more money you are willing to spend the better the laptop. it all depends on what use the comp is for and how long you intend to use it.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:24 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went with the Dell which should be winging its way to me. After a few false starts with the customer service dept I managed to get through to someone who spoke a decent level of English, though even then it was tough going. They're based in Panama City. Terribly polite but a bit cack.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
Well I went with the Dell which should be winging its way to me. After a few false starts with the customer service dept I managed to get through to someone who spoke a decent level of English, though even then it was tough going. They're based in Panama City. Terribly polite but a bit cack.
Good choice sibsie..
Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:45 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sibsie
They even come with wings now? What'll they think of next!!

Last edited by ironporer; Jun 9th 2004 at 5:59 pm.