Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Time at POE (Houston) for Immigrant Visa?

Time at POE (Houston) for Immigrant Visa?

Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

mac the knight is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Time at POE (Houston) for Immigrant Visa?

Hi All,

Trying to work out connection times en route to Austin, coming through Houston as the POE....

Anybody got guestimates of how long to process an immigrant visa for my wife (DCF in London) - I'm the USC and I'll be with her on the flight so I guess we should be able to go through the USC passport line as we have before on VWP (they always wanted to see her return ticket!). Is 3.5 hours way to long..?

Stuart
Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:41 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time at POE (Houston) for Immigrant Visa?

Originally posted by mac the knight
Hi All,

Trying to work out connection times en route to Austin, coming through Houston as the POE....

Anybody got guestimates of how long to process an immigrant visa for my wife (DCF in London) - I'm the USC and I'll be with her on the flight so I guess we should be able to go through the USC passport line as we have before on VWP (they always wanted to see her return ticket!). Is 3.5 hours way to long..?

Stuart
I wouldn't think so- better safe than sorry. The actual immigration portion for my wife following DCF (in ATL) only took 10 minutes- however the line took 3 hours, as all European Int'l flights seemed to land around the same time there (~3 pm).
Old Jun 8th 2004, 6:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time at POE (Houston) for Immigrant Visa?

Originally posted by mac the knight
Hi All,

Stuart

For this entry, I believe you'll need to use the "Aliens" line, although you can go thru together. You 'should' carry the Brown Envelope out in sight and will be waved to the station they want you at. After stamping you (the USC) in and briefly inspecting The Envelope, you'll both be directed to Secondary Inspection.
As ironporer says, it doesn't take long for the actual processing (ours took less than 15 minutes) but you need to plan for the wait if there are others in Secondary. We cleared Immigration and still had to wait 20 mins for our luggage to get off the plane. 3.5 hours is not to long, IMO.

PS: this was not in Houston, but I'd give the same answer for any POE.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We cleared in Houston in October 2002. Same as everyone else, the actual clearance was only 10 minutes, but the wait was a bit longer. You can't got thru the USC line, you have to go thru the Aliens line, but make sure they know you're not just coming in as a visitor, then they take you all off to the side to wait. There were only 2 or 3 others ahead of us, but I think we waited about an hour or so - the problem was a lot of seamen coming in for express clearance to join ships, and they all got pushed in ahead of us by the immigration officers.

I don't think theres any way of guesstimating the wait though - it'll depend on how many other flights are coming in at the same time (as a USC my wifes clearance has varied from a few minutes arriving from Europe to over 2 hours when coming in from the Far East!). Plus, Houston is a pretty busy seaport, so the seamen situation is probably not unusual. But even in the worst case scenario, I can't magine it taking more than 3.5 hours.... if it does, pop over here for a cuppa and a vent!!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:50 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
You can't got thru the USC line, you have to go thru the Aliens line
Don't know if it was Houston, but I have read of cases where you are allowed in the USC line, if accompanied by your husband/wife-USC. Ask upon arrival.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:32 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

I came into Newark as POE on the 22nd May with a DCF spouse visa. We used the USC line with no problem. The immigration officer said they can do all jobs at all desks so it didn't matter.

I've have not used the aliens line in the last six years and never had any problem whatsoever.

It took us five minutes to get through there and then about 20 minutes in the back office doing the fingerprinting.

Still got the X-ray. Nobody wanted that.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:42 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
Don't know if it was Houston, but I have read of cases where you are allowed in the USC line, if accompanied by your husband/wife-USC. Ask upon arrival.
We were at Houston, and we asked, making sure they knew my wife was USC, and they saw the grouchy toddler we had in tow, but it still made no difference - the USC line was off limits - maybe because its across the other side of the immigration hall to the waiting area for inward processing. Of course, things may have changed now.....
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Laverock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3.5 Hours at least!

My partner queued for over 2 hours at Houston IAH under the Visa Waiver. After that he faced a ridiculous and petty interrogation by INS and his luggage took a further 30 minutes to appear. Never mind though I hear Dallas are now doing the retina scans and finger printing so that added to the other stuff can't be any better.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3.5 Hours at least!

Originally posted by Laverock
My partner queued for over 2 hours at Houston IAH under the Visa Waiver. After that he faced a ridiculous and petty interrogation by INS and his luggage took a further 30 minutes to appear. Never mind though I hear Dallas are now doing the retina scans and finger printing so that added to the other stuff can't be any better.
Ignoring the "ridiculous and petty interrogation" bit, we *are* discussing IV entry, not VWP entry.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Laverock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by meauxna
Ignoring the "ridiculous and petty interrogation" bit, we *are* discussing IV entry, not VWP entry.
Maybe so but he mentioned he was used to the VWP in his posting and it didn't used to take this long on the Visa Waiver Programme. Why talk in abbreviations anyway? The whole business is worse than ever. So don't be a pedantic jerk about it.

Last edited by Laverock; Jun 9th 2004 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:33 pm
Maño-Americano

Originally posted by Laverock
Maybe so but he mentioned he was used to the VWP in his posting and it didn't used to take this long on the Visa Waiver Programme. Why talk in abbreviations anyway? The whole business is worse than ever. So don't be a pedantic jerk about it.
Don't think Meuxana was being a P.J about the OP's question. Whether its a IV, DCF or VWP, the DHS/INS/BCIS/USIC still must be sure the FBI and CIA don't let in any AQ into the USA.

AH
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:54 pm

Originally posted by ironporer
Don't think Meuxana was being a P.J about the OP's question. Whether its a IV, DCF or VWP, the DHS/INS/BCIS/USIC still must be sure the FBI and CIA don't let in any AQ into the USA.

AH
WTF??