Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I am so confused please help

I am so confused please help

Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am so confused please help

Find out who thre Imiigration Lawyer is and speak to them.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Koshinogi is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be an Investor visa for him, and h1b for me, I think that looking at it, we will be looking at april next year unless we both go for the investor one, 2 days is not going to be good enough, + Im not in a huge rush (and I already have my hols booked for nov to go to NC and meet the vets etc)
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Koshinogi
also there are not enough RVT's in the area, so they said they would be willing to sponser me
Is an "RVT" a position that normally requires a bachelor degree?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It would be an Investor visa for him, and h1b for me, I think that looking at it, we will be looking at april next year unless we both go for the investor one, 2 days is not going to be good enough, + Im not in a huge rush (and I already have my hols booked for nov to go to NC and meet the vets etc)
All you need would be the E-2 for him ..and you as the accompanying spouse you can then get a EAD ..and work anywhere you like ..
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

fatbrit - no its a skilled + two years training catagory - Why?
and EAD I'll look into that, ta
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Because the H1B is a visa which needs the position to require a Bachelor's Degree.

What visa are the other UK workers there on?

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

H2B sorry
I dont know what the other staff are on nothing was mentioned, just that they qualified in uk, they may not even be brit citz, plenty of EU nationals qualify in the UK so could have used the lottery i guess but I dunno they are likely to be H1B as they will be degree qualified

Last edited by Koshinogi; Mar 30th 2008 at 5:14 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:19 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

H2B sorry
I dont know what the other staff are on nothing was mentioned, just that they qualified in uk, they may not even be brit citz, plenty of EU nationals qualify in the UK so could have used the lottery i guess but I dunno they are likely to be H1B as they will be degree qualified
I thought H2b was for seasonal workers....
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

H2B sorry
Now that you have an employer willing to sponsor you, get in touch with the attorneys they use, and see what visa you will be using. You can then start doing your research from there. First and foremost, you'll need to know for sure which visa they intend to apply for.

Rene
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

thankyou noorah
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It's visa, visa, visa all the way. And you do not have enough knowledge yet to understand this. Don't let your enthusiasm shield you from the realities of the various visas. Many return home from the US causing disruption to their family and finances through hope based on thin air. At a very minimum, you should be able to name your visa type and it's pros and cons before you even consider setting sail.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I thought H2b was for seasonal workers....
It is...so they won't be looking at this one...

H1B sounds like a stretch...probably want to get a shite E2, would get them over there at least, and then work using the EAD for the vets....either way, need to speak to an immigration lawyer to see what options there might really be.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

kaseystaff will become famous soon enough

hi Koshinogi, sorry this is going to be a long one.............
i am a uk vet nurse, living & working as a vet tech/nurse here in oregon - been here since 2005. same situation as you (even down to the husband not being eligible in his own right for any visa!). i did not qualify for any other skill, so had to just use my vet nusing.

my advice...... do NOT go for H1B visa....vet nurses do not qualify for that & you'll spend too much time banging your head on a wall, waiting & going nowhere. do NOT let your prospective vet talk to their own clinic attorney...they will have no idea about US immigration, you need a proper immigration attorney independant to the clinics one.
how do i know this.....that happened to me some years ago, offered work by a US vet clinic (nurses are in real short supply here & you will find many will offer you a job - they just have no idea about immigration) & they took H1B route......18 months later after numerous rejections by immigration I managed to find out that the attorney they were using was just the clinic one (despite me telling them constantly they needed an immigration one)....so from the UK I hired an immigration guy in the US, got him to look at the applications the clinic had been filing....less than 1 hour later he called me - they'd filled all the paperwork in wrong (repeatadly) but more to the point he said that the H1B is just not workable for our qualification, his advice skilled worker green card. absolutely, hands down.
so....................that clinic was not prepared to do that said "just not a good time for them...."

I found another clinic, was up front with them, need a sponsor for greencard; they said yes & off we went. got a great immigration attorney & eventually (yes it took a really long time) got my green card, my husband got his greencard by default & we both arrived in feb 2005; i started work as arranged a week later, he found work & started a couple of weeks after me.

there is no easy way into the US as a vet nurse but it is possible, have to be honest, unless you qualify for investor visa or something else (don't know anything about that one!) it will take a long time......took us from sept 2001 (job interview) to feb 2005 (stepped off the plane with husband & dog/cat in tow!)......(& that doesn't include the earlier H1B fiasco!!) happy to offer any help that i can though, bit of the old been there, done that, got the t-shirt i guess, so any thing you want to know just shout me!
i'm working at a great clinic now (not the one that sponsored me but that's a whole other story & opens up a whole can of worms you may want to be know about.....................)
hope this helps,
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaseystaff
...his advice skilled worker green card. absolutely, hands down.
so....................that clinic was not prepared to do that said "just not a good time for them...."
That's the problem, it takes years, and most employers don't want to wait 5 plus years before someone can start work, which is what the H1 visa is for as an interim solution, which doesn't apply here.

Oh and welcome to BE
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

kaseystaff will become famous soon enough

That's the problem, it takes years, and most employers don't want to wait 5 plus years before someone can start work,
yeah, i got really lucky..........
thanks for the welcome