Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-864 Questions

I-864 Questions

Old Apr 14th 2002, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road
Default I-864 Questions

I am ready to file I-864 with I-485 and I-130. It is indicated in the I-864 form that this form should be completed and signed before a notary public or a Consular or Immigration Officer, What does that mean???
Immigration Officer???...then can we bring the package in in person while filing and have the local INS Officer sign it right there, what is that for?
What is the proper way to do it as we are not hiring any attorney?
Old Apr 14th 2002, 2:40 am
Alvena Ferreira

Default Re: I-864 Questions

wildxena wrote:
    > I am ready to file I-864 with I-485 and I-130. It is indicated in the I-864 form
    > that this form should be completed and signed before a notary public or a Consular
    > or Immigration Officer, What does that mean??? Immigration Officer???...then can we
    > bring the package in in person while filing and have the local INS Officer sign it
    > right there, what is that for? What is the proper way to do it as we are not hiring
    > any attorney?
    >
You are best advised to sign it in front of a notary prior to going to the INS
office, some officers don't like to do this. You can usually find a notary at your
local bank, at little or no charge. Just ask the bank officer. If they don't have
one, they'll know where to find one, I'm willin' to betcha. Alvena See the Doc Steen
site here: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm I am not a
lawyer, and this is not immigration advice. The information I provide is mostly
gleaned from old newsgroup posts and visa links on the internet. If you want or need
a lawyer, go to: http://www.aila.org