Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Original evidents for I-485 and I-130?

Original evidents for I-485 and I-130?

Old Apr 13th 2002, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

wildxena is on a distinguished road
Default Original evidents for I-485 and I-130?

I am putting everything together for my permanent residency application thru marriage. My fiancee is a USC. In the I-485 form, it indicates that I only have to file COPIES of the evidents (like my birth cert.); however, on the I-130 form, it requires my fiancee to file the ORIGINAL birth cert. Is that true?? I heard from someone that I only need to file COPIES of all evidents, then when the interview comes, they will request for original documents that they would like to review. So, my question here is, should I send Original evidents in as stated in the forms? or, should I send all COPIES?
Please advice.
Old Apr 13th 2002, 3:10 pm
Jb

Default Re: Original evidents for I-485 and I-130?

wildxena wrote:
    >
    > I am putting everything together for my permanent residency application thru
    > marriage. My fiancee is a USC. In the I-485 form, it indicates that I only have to
    > file COPIES of the evidents (like my birth cert.); however, on the I-130 form, it
    > requires my fiancee to file the ORIGINAL birth cert. Is that true?? I heard from
    > someone that I only need to file COPIES of all evidents, then when the interview
    > comes, they will request for original documents that they would like to review. So,
    > my question here is, should I send Original evidents in as stated in the forms? or,
    > should I send all COPIES? Please advice.

Never send original documents to INS. You will probably never see them again. Have
the original ready for the interview. Ignore what's written on the forms.

Old Apr 13th 2002, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Then can they be just Copies, but not Certified?? I wasn't planning to file it thru an attorney, would it be a problem if the copies are not certified???
Old Apr 13th 2002, 4:40 pm
Des

In most cases, you will be filing all those forms at your local INS office IN PERSON.

So on the morning you go there, take the originals (birth certificate, marriage
certificate, divorce decrees etc.) with you and have plenty of copies. Our INS
officer looked at the originals, then took copies of everything and told us to bring
the originals when coming back for the interview. However, he could not have accepted
the paperwork without looking at the originals first (or so he told us).

- Des

Old Apr 13th 2002, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. well I thought the INS officer wouldn't even open your package, they simply take the package from you and thats it. I am planning to mail it in, I am not sure do all the copies need to be certified or not.......
What is the pros and cons on mailing in the package and bringing it in???
Old Apr 14th 2002, 3:40 am
Mrs Blackross

never send INS an original of an important document if you ever want to see it again.

normal photocopies are sufficient for a mailed in application (make sure they are
legible!), that's what we did and they were accepted. just make sure you have all
originals for your interview as they are supposed to ask for them (not that they
asked for ours, but we still had them with us

re: pros and cons.. some INS offices will not accept in-person filing, some will.
advantage to filing in person is you KNOW they got it and in some cases will review
your documents to ensure it is all correct (though there are reports of some offices
simply taking the big envelope from you and not opening it at all).

advantage to mailing it in is you don't have to drive long distances and waste an
entire day at the INS office, and by mailing it certified with return receipt, you
have a paper record of INS receiving your applications.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! now awaiting
plastic GC in the mail...

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm

"wildxena" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for your reply. well I thought the INS officer wouldn't even open your
    > package, they simply take the package from you and thats it. I am planning to mail
    > it in, I am not sure do all the copies need to be certified or not....... What is
    > the pros and cons on mailing in the package and bringing it in???
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com