Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-485 and I-130, what's the difference?

I-485 and I-130, what's the difference?

Old Sep 1st 2002, 7:25 am
Just Joined

cowall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-485 and I-130, what's the difference?

What exactly is the difference between i-485 and I-330? i've read alot of the posts on here (which are extremely helpful) and i was always under the impression i have to file both of them with ins, or is it one or the other?

I am a USC and my new husband is from Ireland. He entered on VWP and we are about to adjust status here in Texas. I think I even read a post saying that an ins officer told someone they do not use I-130 anymore. At any rate, what the heck is I-130 for? thanks so much for your help, you guys are awesome!

oh and also, should we mail all our forms out (including I-485) or take them to San Antonio office in person? Again, he entered under visa waiver and is adjusting status. We are filing all our forms for the first time here in Texas, we live in Austin. thanks again!
Old Sep 1st 2002, 9:18 am
Michael Voight

Default Re: I-485 and I-130, what's the difference?

I-130 is the form submitted by the US citizen to sponsor an immigrant relative
I-485 is filed by the immigrant to ajdust status from a non immigrant visa to
immigrant (permanent resident). Status can be adjusted for a variety of reasons. In
this case, it is due to marriage to a US Citizen, so that is why the I-130 is
submitted by the citizen.

cowall wrote:
    > What exactly is the difference between i-485 and I-330? i've read alot of the posts
    > on here (which are extremely helpful) and i was always under the impression i have
    > to file both of them with ins, or is it one or the other?
    > I am a USC and my new husband is from Ireland. He entered on VWP and we are about
    > to adjust status here in Texas. I think I even read a post saying that an ins
    > officer told someone they do not use I-130 anymore. At any rate, what the heck is
    > I-130 for? thanks so much for your help, you guys are awesome!
    > oh and also, should we mail all our forms out (including I-485) or take them to San
    > Antonio office in person? Again, he entered under visa waiver and is adjusting
    > status. We are filing all our forms for the first time here in Texas, we live in
    > Austin. thanks again!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 6:14 am
Mrs_blackross

Default Re: I-485 and I-130, what's the difference?

The I-485 is to adjust status, the I-130 is used to petition for an immigrant visa
for your spouse/family member. since your husband is adjusting from a tourist to
permanent resident, you DO need to file BOTH forms at the same time...If you file the
485 without the 130, INS will deny the adjustment since there isn't a basis for it
without the I-130. Don't know who said that the I-130 isn't being used anymore..but
INS is most definitely still using them...I just filed two of them for my kids less
than two months ago.

can't answer your question on whether to mail or walk them in, as I am not familiar
with any other offices other than VSC and Baltimore. good luck

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/visainfo/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geoc-
ities.com/immigration_helpsite/I-130/index.htm

"cowall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What exactly is the difference between i-485 and I-330? i've read alot of the posts
    > on here (which are extremely helpful) and i was always under the impression i have
    > to file both of them with ins, or is it one or the other?
    > I am a USC and my new husband is from Ireland. He entered on VWP and we are about
    > to adjust status here in Texas. I think I even read a post saying that an ins
    > officer told someone they do not use I-130 anymore. At any rate, what the heck is
    > I-130 for? thanks so much for your help, you guys are awesome!
    > oh and also, should we mail all our forms out (including I-485) or take them to San
    > Antonio office in person? Again, he entered under visa waiver and is adjusting
    > status. We are filing all our forms for the first time here in Texas, we live in
    > Austin. thanks again!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com