Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed..Please Help

Overwhelmed..Please Help

Old Aug 31st 2002, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

ShesADayTripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overwhelmed..Please Help

Just a couple of questions hoping someone can help....I'm so completely confused & overwhelmed. My fiance & I want to marry in the US asap & settle in the UK where he lives. What exactly will he have to bring or will we have to do before we can marry here? Will he need a visa even though we are not going to live here? He plans to return to the Uk after the marriage. I have heard of a visa waiver, which I have no idea what it is or how it works. Any information on this will be so helpful. I do understand that if we marry here I will have to apply for a spousal visa here in the states which could take several months. During this time, after applying here in the US, will I be able to visit him in the Uk or am I forbidden to do that until my paperwork is approved & the visa is issued? Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give...it will be so appreciated.
Old Sep 1st 2002, 2:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overwhelmed..Please Help

Originally posted by ShesADayTripper:
Just a couple of questions hoping someone can help....I'm so completely confused & overwhelmed. My fiance & I want to marry in the US asap & settle in the UK where he lives. What exactly will he have to bring or will we have to do before we can marry here? Will he need a visa even though we are not going to live here? He plans to return to the Uk after the marriage. I have heard of a visa waiver, which I have no idea what it is or how it works. Any information on this will be so helpful. I do understand that if we marry here I will have to apply for a spousal visa here in the states which could take several months. During this time, after applying here in the US, will I be able to visit him in the Uk or am I forbidden to do that until my paperwork is approved & the visa is issued? Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give...it will be so appreciated.
This is exactly what I did when I married.

Your fiancé does not need a visa to get married here and leave again. The visa waiver gives a short term entry to the US for tourists and visiting businessmen from certain "friendly" countries. The waiver is all he needs to get into the US to get married, there is no relevant "visa".

The slight problem he may have is if immigration suspect, when he arrives, that he is going to get married and stay in the US.

He should take with him as much evidence as possible that he has roots in the UK and will return home. The usual evidence suggested is a copy of his current rent agreement or mortgage statment to prove that he still has a home in the UK. I also took a letter from my employer stating that I was a current employee and that I was expected back at work on a specified date. If you are honeymooning outside the US he could also bring the tickets as evidence.

If possible he should fly in to one of the big international airports in the US as the immigration officers there are less likely to give him a hard time, in my experience. The only time I got "a grilling" when visiting my, then, fiancée was when I arrived at Charlotte NC where there are only a very few international flights.

You will also need a marriage licence (I presume, as VA state required one) and you should check out what evidence you and fiancé will need to get the licence, and how long before the marriage you will need to get it.

If you are going to the UK to live, check out www.uk-yankee.com. The people there are friendly and you may get more advice from others that have got married under similar circumstances to yours. I'll look out for you if you register there.

So far as visiting the UK after you get married, the law in the UK is very similar to the US - you can go to the UK but if immigration thinks that you are going to stay they will turn you back. Bring evidence that you have ties to the US (yeah, I know that it is crazy if you just got married to a Brit). When my wife applied, through the UK embassy in DC it only took a few days for the visa to be issued.

Good luck!

PS One other thing. It would also be a good idea not to arrive in the US with friends and relatives bearing wedding gifts. You never know when one might let the cat out of the bag and tell immigration *exactly* why they are visiting the US! He should either take a different flight to the US or at very least come through immigration on his own - ie in a different line.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 1st 2002 at 3:52 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2002, 4:47 am
Mrtravel

No visa needed, he can enter on the Visa Waiver if he is a UK citizen. It is
perfectly normal to marry on a visa waiver. Visa Waiver Program is for countries
with low rates of B1/B2 Visa rejections. Since the rejection rate for those visas is
so low, they simply can skip the process of getting a visa and stay for up to 90
days. There is no issue with marrying on a tourist visa or visa waiver and then
leaving the country. However, when entering the US, your fiance should be prepared
to prove that he intends to keep living in the UK. This can include home ownership
documentation or rental agreement, and employment documentation. A letter from an
employer would help. He might NEVER be asked for this stuff, but carrying it would
not be a bad idea. Also, if INS doesn't specifically ask if he is getting married,
then he shouldn't volunteer that he is. He is in the US just to "visit". He should
also not mention anything about a fiance unless specifically asked if he has one. If
they think he is coming to get married or visit a fiance, they may deny him entry,
believing that he intends to stay. He should enter under the Visa Waiver Program,
because if he files an application for a tourist visa, he will have to mark the
form indicating he has a fiance.

There is NO reason for you to get a K-1 visa as he is not immigrating.

Old Sep 1st 2002, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

ShesADayTripper is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Overwhelmed..Please Help

Thanks so very much MrTravel & Pulaski...this information makes me feel 100% better!!! I was beginning to lose hope, but now we can begin making definite plans. Your replies are much appreciated!
Old Sep 1st 2002, 3:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ShesADayTripper:
Thanks so very much MrTravel & Pulaski...this information makes me feel 100% better!!! I was beginning to lose hope, but now we can begin making definite plans. Your replies are much appreciated!
Your most welcome! Anytime you have any more questions let us know.

Pulaski
Old Sep 2nd 2002, 7:42 am
Squire

In article <[email protected]>, ShesADayTripper
<[email protected]> writes
    > During this time, after applying here in the US, will I be able to visit him in
    > the Uk or am I forbidden to do that until my paperwork is approved & the visa
    > is issued?

If you live close enough to a British Consulate you could apply in person and
probably receive a spousal visa the same day. Otherwise apply by mail (or online if
you are in the DC/NY area) and get your visa within a few days, assuming your
application is straight forward.

<http://mysite.freeserve.com/UKimm-
igration/>
<http://www.britai-
nusa.com/visas/visas.asp>

--
squire Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho)