Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

I-131 experiences please

I-131 experiences please

Old Dec 16th 2012, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

hullabaloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-131 experiences please

Hi there. I'm a green card holder since 2009 and a UK passport holder. I'm planning a RTW (round the world) trip starting April and may be out of the country a year or longer (< 2yr tho). I'm about to apply for the I131 visa to make sure I keep my GC. Wow, that $360+85 biometric fee sure seems high .

Anyway I'm just looking to hear peoples' experiences with re-entry - do these visas get approved usually? Is there anything I should do to smooth the passage?
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-131 experiences please

Originally Posted by hullabaloo
I'm about to apply for the I131 visa to make sure I keep my GC.
You need to understand that filing an I-131 (for a re-entry permit) will not "make sure" you keep your GC. What it does do, is add one more thing in your favor if an immigration judge is trying to decide whether or not you have abandoned your status. It does not guarantee that you don't abandon your status.

Wow, that $360+85 biometric fee sure seems high.
It's the cost of doing business. You're planning to spend many $thousands on a trip... what's a few $hundred more?

I'm just looking to hear peoples' experiences with re-entry - do these visas get approved usually?
You're not applying for a visa. You don't need a visa because you have a valid GC. You're applying for a re-entry permit... but yes, if you apply for it, it will be approved.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Dec 16th 2012 at 9:00 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

You should make sure to retain documentable ties to the US, e.g. file tax return, maintain a mailing address, keep bank accounts open etc.

The fact that you'll be continually traveling on a round-the-world trip (rather than anything that could be seen as settling in another country) will work in your favour.

If you obtained your green card through marriage and are still married to the same US citizen, you might be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship now. If not, you should be aware that aside from the green card abandonment issue, extended absences reset the clock for citizenship purposes so it could be a further 5 years after you get back before you're eligible to naturalize.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 1:45 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as "the I131 visa". Form I-131 is an application for a travel document, it is not a visa nor is it an application for a visa.

In your case you will be applying for a re-entry permit, a document that looks similar to a passport.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by hullabaloo
I'm about to apply for the I131 visa to make sure I keep my GC.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Update: I had my biometrics on Feb 1st and am waiting waiting waiting...
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Update: got it in the mail about 10 days ago.

End of thread.