Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How is Your American City/Town is Celebrating New Year?

How is Your American City/Town is Celebrating New Year?

Old Dec 31st 2003, 2:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question How is Your American City/Town is Celebrating New Year?

Readers of this forum are spread far and wide throughout the US. So, the question is, how is your town/city celebrating the coming of the New Year? i.e. what kind of community/citywide celebrations are scheduled? Are there any local customs that occur as the clock strikes midnight?

In Raleigh, the nearby capital city of NC, the city drops a giant acorn, in the style of New York's giant ball. I've not witnessed this myself.

I've no idea why an acorn is dropped. Personally, I like the idea of a giant diamante/crystal pig dropping (NC is famous for pork barbecue) to see in the New Year...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:07 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is Your American City/Town is Celebrating New Year?

Surprise Surprise - they drop a Beach Ball at the Beach!!!!

Patrick

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Readers of this forum are spread far and wide throughout the US. So, the question is, how is your town/city celebrating the coming of the New Year? i.e. what kind of community/citywide celebrations are scheduled? Are there any local customs that occur as the clock strikes midnight?

In Raleigh, the nearby capital city of NC, the city drops a giant acorn, in the style of New York's giant ball. I've not witnessed this myself.

I've no idea why an acorn is dropped. Personally, I like the idea of a giant diamante/crystal pig dropping (NC is famous for pork barbecue) to see in the New Year...

NC Penguin
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Phoenix itself, does not actually have a news years bash. I believe they tried a few years back and couldnt compete with the Tempe block party on Mill avenue which gets between 150,000 and 200,000 people and was voted in the top 10 of places to see in the new year recently. It helps that today is the Fiesta bowl parade and tomorrow is the actual Fiesta bowl, so we have a load of people in from Ohio and Kansas that will help fill up the party. Also, Mill Ave is right next to Arizona State University. Neighbouring city Scottsdale where I live is throwing their own block party this year, but the local business say they are not competing with Tempe and hope to get around 10,000 people. There is also a 21 age restriction on the Scottsdale bash which will help keep the numbers down I guess.

I read in the local paper over the weekend, that an Ohio state backer from Minnesota had wrote to the Tempe block party commitee, and managed to get the porta potty numbers raised from 200 to over 450 this year. lol

Last edited by Pimpbot; Dec 31st 2003 at 4:17 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:22 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Here in Annapolis we have First Night Annapolis - A New Year's Eve celebration that includes music, dance, theater, and comedy for all ages.

We won't be going tonight though as Hubby twisted his knee skiing last week so standing around and hobbling from place to place doesn't appeal much to him at the moment!

He tells me that this event gets really packed too; not my idea of fun to be battling through the crowds!
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:25 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Denver is letting off some fireworks at 9pm and midnight.

Maybe the 9pm fireworks are so the kids can see them before they go to bed.

I think the city is also running free busses all night to keep the drunks off the road.

I won't be watching either of them because I will be working
Old Dec 31st 2003, 5:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
Denver is letting off some fireworks at 9pm and midnight.

Maybe the 9pm fireworks are so the kids can see them before they go to bed.

I think the city is also running free busses all night to keep the drunks off the road.

I won't be watching either of them because I will be working
Denver's got the right idea. People can get sozzled and then ride the bus back home (or pretty nearby).

I wonder if many other US cities offer some form of free public transport on New Year's Eve/Day?

NC Penguin
Old Dec 31st 2003, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got back from Pensylvannia with my stash of illegal fireworks !!! Gonna have a good new year at home with friends and familly then my own fireworks, as the thought of cramming with the masses at the Baltimore inner harbor does nothing for me.

Rob

Happy new year to all my friends.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

The local towns dont look like they were doing much but the ski resorts were both having candle light processions and fireworks, personally I slept through everything due to having the flu. Hubby apparently tried to wake me at midnight but I was out for the count.

Wishing you all a Happy and prosperous New Years !

Jan
Old Jan 1st 2004, 2:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is Your American City/Town is Celebrating New Year?

Originally posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
Fireworks. But it's all just a preliminary to another orgy of shopping. What do they do with it all, I ask myself......