Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Stupid am I?!?

How Stupid am I?!?

Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Stupid am I?!?

Just as I thought things were starting to settle down, I've hit a brick wall and feel very stupid.

We had left our british bank account open for several reasons and waited until we arrived in Connecticut to open a new one. We opened an account with Chase really easily and thought that everything was fine. After researching on my favourite site (this one of course!!!) we decided to use HiFX to transfer funds from our british account into our american one. So, after setting up the transfer with HiFX, thought all I had to do was contact the Clydesdale bank branch (which we've been with for over 20 years) to authorise the transfer of funds to HiFX - WRONG!!!

Apparently, myself or my hubby have to go to the branch in person to authorise the transfer. Even though the bank knew were were moving, provided reference letters for our rental property?!? they are refusing to let me transfer any money.

After making sure everything was done correctly before we left and after we got here, I now feel really stupid. Has anyone else come across this problem? I apparently now have to send a letter recorded delivery to the branch with both our signatures on it and wait until I hear from them, then set up an online account which can take up to 2 weeks, before I can transfer any money.

What a life!!!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Stupid am I?!?

Originally Posted by Brat1
Just as I thought things were starting to settle down, I've hit a brick wall and feel very stupid.

We had left our british bank account open for several reasons and waited until we arrived in Connecticut to open a new one. We opened an account with Chase really easily and thought that everything was fine. After researching on my favourite site (this one of course!!!) we decided to use HiFX to transfer funds from our british account into our american one. So, after setting up the transfer with HiFX, thought all I had to do was contact the Clydesdale bank branch (which we've been with for over 20 years) to authorise the transfer of funds to HiFX - WRONG!!!

Apparently, myself or my hubby have to go to the branch in person to authorise the transfer. Even though the bank knew were were moving, provided reference letters for our rental property?!? they are refusing to let me transfer any money.

After making sure everything was done correctly before we left and after we got here, I now feel really stupid. Has anyone else come across this problem? I apparently now have to send a letter recorded delivery to the branch with both our signatures on it and wait until I hear from them, then set up an online account which can take up to 2 weeks, before I can transfer any money.

What a life!!!!
indeed.

Why don't you use Xetrade? Then you just send the money from your UK account like a regular bill payment. It's quick too.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
indeed.

Why don't you use Xetrade? Then you just send the money from your UK account like a regular bill payment. It's quick too.
Thanks. I'll look into that. My problem at the minute is that my transaction is legally binding with HiFX. I can't transfer the money to them from the UK and it says that no 3rd party can transfer the money for me ie, if I was to borrow the money from family until I sort my own account out. HiFX will send the 3rd party payment back, so I really don't know what to do at the minute and it's stressing me out
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:57 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

What a life!!!!
I'm guessing you don't have on-line banking with the UK account? (only things are harder without it, do-able but harder)
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I'm guessing you don't have on-line banking with the UK account? (only things are harder without it, do-able but harder)
You guessed right Lisa
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Do you have phone banking ? Do you have a debit card attached to the account - does depend on the value however !
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:07 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

You guessed right Lisa
ouch, well OK like you said you have to send a signed letter/form to the UK bank to set up the on-line bit, once this has been done (unfortunately it takes around the 2 weeks mark) then you can pay the money to HiFX (using your on-line service) and things will then run smoothly..

As long as you don't need the money asap, you'll be OK, but if you need to put your hands on some quick cash now, just go to a ATM machine and use your UK card (with pin) and withdraw some money out...this can be done with a debit or credit card, I'm not 100% sure if you can do this with a cash card though, but hey there's no harm in trying.

Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goatherder
Do you have phone banking ? Do you have a debit card attached to the account - does depend on the value however !
We've never banked over the phone. Yes it is a debit account but the bank are saying they have no record of our new address which is absolutely incorrect.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

goatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nicegoatherder is just really nice

Have you tried to move the funds to HIFX using the debit card (not sure what values we are talking about here!). It may be that the AVS check is failing if you can't get the funds to them that way. The system is trying to confirm the address you enter. This depends on what address your bank as registered against the card. AVS checks the numbers in the first line of the address and the post code typically (numbers only). It could be that your US address has been entered in a strange way which is causing it to fail.

I use another company which allows me to use the switch card to move the funds from their site for smaller amounts (less than 1,000) but if its more I need to do it via BACS transfer in internet banking.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goatherder
Have you tried to move the funds to HIFX using the debit card (not sure what values we are talking about here!). It may be that the AVS check is failing if you can't get the funds to them that way. The system is trying to confirm the address you enter. This depends on what address your bank as registered against the card. AVS checks the numbers in the first line of the address and the post code typically (numbers only). It could be that your US address has been entered in a strange way which is causing it to fail.

I use another company which allows me to use the switch card to move the funds from their site for smaller amounts (less than 1,000) but if its more I need to do it via BACS transfer in internet banking.
I'm going to get in touch with HiFX and try changing it to credit card payment. Failing that, I guess I'll have to wait until I sort all this stuff out about my account in the UK. It's so frustrating that it's my money, but I can't get a hold of it. I know I can use my debit card at an ATM here, but I'm sure there's a daily limit of how much you can withdraw in a 24 hour period.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Nationwide were just the same for me on a similar topic. I moved my money out of there quickly!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emailrob
Nationwide were just the same for me on a similar topic. I moved my money out of there quickly!
That makes me feel better. I thought the DMV were hard to deal with but the Clydesdale bank staff were just as bad !!!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

That makes me feel better. I thought the DMV were hard to deal with but the Clydesdale bank staff were just as bad !!!
and this was just transferring money to another UK account! I had to complete a form and bring it into the branch. Hello? 1975 called and wanted their banking process back.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I know I can use my debit card at an ATM here, but I'm sure there's a daily limit of how much you can withdraw in a 24 hour period.
Why don't you just use your debit card for a few days? You don't have to use cash, the card will be accepted anywhere that takes them. You'll get screwed on the exchange rate a bit and you should be able to use it for cashback (should not count as cash withdrawal).
Old Mar 26th 2010, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emailrob
1975 called and wanted their banking process back.
Yeah, it makes a mint franchising out to US banks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.