Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How quick to rent a house...?

How quick to rent a house...?

Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default How quick to rent a house...?

I hesitate to ask because this is probably like asking how long a piece of string is...

We are flying out to move to US on the 28th May and have a limited hotel budget from the company - maybe a week... after that, we're probably on our own. So... the question is, assuming you find a house you like, it's empty and you satisfy any credit requirements the landlord has, how quickly can you get the deal done?

Would really appreciate any thoughts. We realise that this can vary enormously but are trying to find out what is realistically optimistic...

Thanks as always,

Doug.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How quick to rent a house...?

Originally Posted by Dougster75
I hesitate to ask because this is probably like asking how long a piece of string is...

We are flying out to move to US on the 28th May and have a limited hotel budget from the company - maybe a week... after that, we're probably on our own. So... the question is, assuming you find a house you like, it's empty and you satisfy any credit requirements the landlord has, how quickly can you get the deal done?

Would really appreciate any thoughts. We realise that this can vary enormously but are trying to find out what is realistically optimistic...

Thanks as always,

Doug.
If the house is empty and doesn't need work, i.e. painting, recarpeting, whatever, and your credit check is done (going to be difficult as your British credit check won't show up in the US) you can probably get the landlord to let you move in almost immediately.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:29 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dougster75

Thanks as always,

Doug.
No idea, mate, but great news that you've got a moving date!
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it in a week. Look on craigslist or the local newspaper site to see what is available. I once rented a house in Mississippi from Virginia over the phone.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 3:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the landord and if its an agency in your case as Rete already mentioned as you will probably have no credit over here in the US a private rental maybe the way to go, even then they normally check your credit its going to be hit or miss I think!

Some folk advertise 1 month in advance so as not to leave the premises unoccupied so it might be worth you going on Craigslist etc right now, I have rented from Cl before just be careful they are legit.

Good luck

I have moved in the next day in some cases.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If the house is empty and doesn't need work, i.e. painting, recarpeting, whatever, and your credit check is done (going to be difficult as your British credit check won't show up in the US) you can probably get the landlord to let you move in almost immediately.
Some cool landlords (like me) don't run credit checks and don't mind renting to FOB foreigners.

craigslist.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

LillyB will become famous soon enoughLillyB will become famous soon enough

Hi Where can I find Craigslist to check what he has for rent?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 3:36 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
In our (very similar) case the rental company was willing to skip the redecorating etc. between clients - we simply signed to say we accepted it in current state. That saved a few days.

On the credit check issue we didn't have one either but the company took 3 months payment up front instead. Not a deposit, just had to prepay the first 3 months.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LillyB
Just email him!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LillyB
You can't be serious?!?!

www.craigslist.com and browse through to the city you will be moving to.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You can't be serious?!?!

www.craigslist.com and browse through to the city you will be moving to.
d'oh! Vacation time for you, girl! (where are you guys going?)

The rolling head smilie is you cue.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We checked the place out in the middle of the week and moved in over the weekend...previous tenant hadn't even moved out yet, they moved out early, on the Friday.

It was 2 floors of a house for an apartment though and done privately through local papers website and we had first/last and couple months for deposit.

Should have waited as the place could have done with a lick of paint and then some, which still hasn't been done a few years later, but the place I was moving for weren't going to stump for a hotel and I didn't fancy commuting the 5.5 hours from where we were living up in Maine at the time.