Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to open the USA bank accout(debit card) for non-resident

How to open the USA bank accout(debit card) for non-resident

Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to open the USA bank accout(debit card) for non-resident

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Why should we expect banks to be immigration enforcement officers? There's plenty of new regulations I'd like to impose on the US banking industry..but this isn't one of them.
I'm not suggestiing they should, just very surprised that it is legal/allowed (separate issue from whether it actually happens).
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm not suggestiing they should, just very surprised that it is legal/allowed (separate issue from whether it actually happens).
If you require a certain immigration status to open a bank account, then the bank becomes responsible for checking your immigration status.

We currently have a system through the I-9 whereby employers are given this responsibility. They gather information to see if you are entitled to work and submit this to the government who give the go ahead or not. But that one's relatively easy as it's based on the SSA database.

How are you going to decide who can and cannot have a bank account? The H4 seems a case in question. No SSN but certainly allowed to live here long term. What about a B2 visitor going to Disney with the kids compared with a B2 partner of an L1 visa holder? Both hold the same visa, one has a reason for a bank account and the other really doesn't! Or what about aircrew who regularly visit (and need incidental spending money) but arrive on the lowliest visa of them all?

Sorry, but I find it pretty difficult to decide who can and cannot have a bank account using immigration status. And I find it onerous to dump this responsibility on the banks....even if they are all toadies.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 9:51 am
Just Joined

johnimac is an unknown quantity at this point

I found it easy to open a bank account, just took my GB passport, drivers licence to my local bank of america, and suntrust, paid $100 into the account and it was done, my debit card arrived at my UK address within 5 days. faster than my UK bank card
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I opened 4 for people on a weeks vacation earlier this year with Wachovia

all were on visa waiver and got the account with just their passport

I got $25 for each.... for the introduction
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

GlastoEls is on a distinguished road

Moving to USA in early Jan on L1A -

Have SSN from previous visit on J1

I'm popping over to NYC in mid December to sort out bank account, mobile and apartment.

I'll go into Citibank (with whom I banked before) with the following:

- Passport
- SSN
- Employer Details / Pass / etc

Will that be sufficient to open a regular checking account? I really want to get a bank before I relocate in Jan. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlastoElliot
Moving to USA in early Jan on L1A -

Have SSN from previous visit on J1

I'm popping over to NYC in mid December to sort out bank account, mobile and apartment.

I'll go into Citibank (with whom I banked before) with the following:

- Passport
- SSN
- Employer Details / Pass / etc

Will that be sufficient to open a regular checking account? I really want to get a bank before I relocate in Jan. Thanks in advance!
Yes. All you need is ID that proves who you are, so passport, but as you have a SSN, that to, they don't need your employers details.

Won't help you with credit history though, which might be problematic to getting a phone contract or an apartment easily. There are plenty of threads on those issues though on BE to read through as well as the wiki.

Welcome to BE though!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

GlastoEls is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bob!

One thing I forgot to add - I obviously won't have a fixed address at that point - would that be a problem?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlastoElliot
Thanks Bob!

One thing I forgot to add - I obviously won't have a fixed address at that point - would that be a problem?
use either your UK address or your employers address, shouldn't be a problem and if it is, go to another bank because it really shouldn't be.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

PhilN is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a personal banker wth experince in both the US and UK.

You do not need to be a resident of the US to open a bank account here. (nor do you need to be resident of the UK to open an account there)

If you don't have a Social Security number or tax ID, we just need you to fill out form W8 so that we can record the reason you don't have a SSN (such as not a US resident). You will need ID (passport etc) and you will be asked typical questions such as 'purpose of the account', 'source of funds' etc.

It is very simple. A bank has to verify a legitimate need for the account, that is all..... this is to ward against money laundering and to comply with the USA Patriot Act and all the other regulations.

No fixed address is very common among expats in the process of moving.... so we take your current address.... we can then send a debit card to a PO box or another designated mailing address, then change your address to the permanent address once you are settled.

As Pete mentioned earlier, I am also able to bring over your UK credit history to get you a credit card in the US..... but I can only do that once you become a resident of the US.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Powderhound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PhilN

You do not need to be a resident of the US to open a bank account here. (nor do you need to be resident of the UK to open an account there)

If you don't have a Social Security number or tax ID, we just need you to fill out form W8 so that we can record the reason you don't have a SSN (such as not a US resident). You will need ID (passport etc) and you will be asked typical questions such as 'purpose of the account', 'source of funds' etc.

It is very simple. A bank has to verify a legitimate need for the account, that is all..... this is to ward against money laundering and to comply with the USA Patriot Act and all the other regulations.

No fixed address is very common among expats in the process of moving.... so we take your current address.... we can then send a debit card to a PO box or another designated mailing address, then change your address to the permanent address once you are settled.

As Pete mentioned earlier, I am also able to bring over your UK credit history to get you a credit card in the US..... but I can only do that once you become a resident of the US.
You could always open an offshore USD account which comes with a visa or debit card. You can open that online from anywhere as long as you can supply the relevent ID and address proof

Abbey offshore or Lloyds TSB offshore all do multicurrency accounts in the Isle of man. The cards and the ATM can be used worldwide
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:56 am
Just Joined

PhilN is an unknown quantity at this point

Offshore Is an option, but not one I would recommend for two reasons...

1. The tax reporting requirement falls directly upon you (the bank doesn't do any withholding or reporting for you as they do in the US and UK.. This is something I've seen people forget due to the stresses and confusion which happens when moving countries.

2. You would be likely to receive ATM fees from the owners of the cash machines in the US for use of their machines as a non customer (unless you hold large balances, then your bank may rebate you).

Having an account in the US also gives you a US check book..... Which can be very useful in a country still heavily reliant on the paper check. A US check often clears in 3 days..... An offshore check can take up to 6 weeks.

It's all about personal preference and what is easiest for you...... But if the OP will be moving to the US permanently, you will eventually need a US account, you may as well do it now and start managing your currency risk!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Powderhound is an unknown quantity at this point

Offshore Is an option, but not one I would recommend for two reasons...

1. The tax reporting requirement falls directly upon you (the bank doesn't do any withholding or reporting for you as they do in the US and UK.. This is something I've seen people forget due to the stresses and confusion which happens when moving countries.

2. You would be likely to receive ATM fees from the owners of the cash machines in the US for use of their machines as a non customer (unless you hold large balances, then your bank may rebate you).

Having an account in the US also gives you a US check book..... Which can be very useful in a country still heavily reliant on the paper check. A US check often clears in 3 days..... An offshore check can take up to 6 weeks.

It's all about personal preference and what is easiest for you...... But if the OP will be moving to the US permanently, you will eventually need a US account, you may as well do it now and start managing your currency risk!
I thought the original question was for a NON RESIDENT. If that is so what tax reporting would he need to do on an offshore bank account, presumably he would need to make those declarations in the jurisdiction he is resident in, not in the USA?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

usanewlife is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if I should start a new thread but, as my question is relative to this as I am currently a non-resident, I thought I would ask the question here for PhilN..

Background info...I am currently a non-resident and entered US as a visitor in September so I have been here almost 3 months. My daughter filed her I-130 petition and I jointly filed my I-485 AOS. I have received my receipt notices and my case is being dealt with......

Question.... can I open a simple checking account? I am currently drawing funds from my UK account which costs me a small fee every time.

Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: How to open the USA bank accout(debit card) for non-resident

Originally Posted by usanewlife
Question.... can I open a simple checking account?
I am not PhilN (TG) but... yes - as long as you have a passport as a unique identifier.

Ian
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usanewlife
I am not sure if I should start a new thread

Yes, please start a new thread. You don't fall under any of the categories discussed in this thread, which I'm sorry to report, was half bogus to start out with.
I am going to close this thread and anyone else can start a new one.

The last thing I am going to say is, you need to get an understanding of your immigration status. And, as discussed in this thread, your immigration status has no bearing on your consumption of a bank account.
Have you tried simply going to the bank and asking?