Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How Much are You Paying for Gas?

How Much are You Paying for Gas?

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:04 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Much are You Paying for Gas?

$2.52 Sunday in LA - here in Minneapolis for a week and its $2.02 but 27f and like scene from Fargo so there is trade off !
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

They've just gone up here, $2.49 now. I also heard on the radio that it's expected to rise further to $3.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:02 am
3 Brians

mattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by deaks
In the UK today it works out at $7.84 a gallon for diesel. Normal gas is a little bit cheaper at around $7.50 a gallon.

Having to commute 160 miles a day really sucks.

I can't wait to move to the USA (should be july 2005 with a bit of luck ;-))

Deaks
A UK gallon is bigger than a USA gallon think its 4.5 litres Uk and 3.8 US, so its a little cheaper than that, though still an absolute rip off compared with the US.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:22 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know the address of the website that gives the cheapest gas in your area? I seem to be about 32 gallons short at the moment (Pilot, Mazda, Lawnmower, Strimmer) so figure theres probably a $1-1.50 to be saved
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Does anyone know the address of the website that gives the cheapest gas in your area? I seem to be about 32 gallons short at the moment (Pilot, Mazda, Lawnmower, Strimmer) so figure theres probably a $1-1.50 to be saved
http://www.mainegasprices.com/index.aspx? that's for maine, obviously, but you can check the home page and click on your state, or just replace the state part in the address for your state
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:39 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
They've just gone up here, $2.49 now. I also heard on the radio that it's expected to rise further to $3.
Sweet. Then all the brits in britain can stop moaning about petrol prices there. Coz pound for dollar that would make it the same price per liter.

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ImHere
Sweet. Then all the brits in britain can stop moaning about petrol prices there. Coz pound for dollar that would make it the same price per liter.

I have to say in am in favour of a major hike in gas prices in the US. I know it's nice to pay less for something (and I'm guilty of it too) but something has to be done to encourage investment and use of public transport in the US.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:09 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.mainegasprices.com/index.aspx? that's for maine, obviously, but you can check the home page and click on your state, or just replace the state part in the address for your state
Got it - ta
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immunise
I have to say in am in favour of a major hike in gas prices in the US. I know it's nice to pay less for something (and I'm guilty of it too) but something has to be done to encourage investment and use of public transport in the US.
just changing attitudes so you dont' feel guilty about having a small economical car would be a start...
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bob
just changing attitudes so you dont' feel guilty about having a small economical car would be a start...

That's true!! But apparently REAL men drive 5.7L hemi trucks!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's true!! But apparently REAL men drive 5.7L hemi trucks!
then they shouldn't have a problem if the missus' drove the sensible cars to make up for 'em tw@s *lol*
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 3:58 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Woo-hoo! Santa Fe is now up to $2.27 for regular, $2.46 for diesel. Still $2.10 out of town - Santa Fe is always absurdly volatile for gas prices.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have any public transport where I live- we're stuffed without a car.
But must say I spend a heck of a lot less on petrol in the UK than I do on gas here- the cars are so fuel efficient over there. My brother in law gets 60 to the gallon in his Renault people carrier!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:56 am
3 Brians

mattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud ofmattbutt3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ImHere
Difference is though is that the price $2.50 or whatever is per gallon not litre.

US prices need to double to bring them inline with europe, which aint gonna happen! not just go up a $1 a gallon. When you look at the inflation on a litre its a lot, around 20c a litre but interms of what is paid now is that really going to affect many people?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you got rid of the cars such as SUV's that are gas guzzlers or made them pay a DMV surcharge on their vehicle because of lower than normal mpg that would go a way in cutting back sales of these pigs. Also areas such as NYC has great mass transit and is widely used for the populous. However, what about the hick areas of the US where public transportation is almost non-existent?

I would love to drive a luxury SUV and honestly could afford the car, the insurance and the gas, but instead choose to drive an Elantra by Hyundai which is a nice running and pleasant looking vehicle and on the open road I average 36 mpg and in-town driving nets me about 25 mpg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.