Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:52 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

Originally Posted by Eskimo
you'd be ****ed in LA on 100k
And I'm sure that's the minimum wage there.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
...It's probably different on an L4, where the trailing spouse can at least claim to be looking for work.
L2 you mean?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

shamroxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Edison? I don't recommend it if you can avoid it. It's not particularly scenic there, and it's very congested -- Rt. 1 is notorious for being one big traffic jam and it cuts right thru it.

If you have some flexibility, I suggest you head toward central NJ, perhaps the Mercer County area....
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How much will living in New Jersey cost me ?

Originally Posted by shamroxx
Edison? I don't recommend it if you can avoid it. It's not particularly scenic there, and it's very congested -- Rt. 1 is notorious for being one big traffic jam and it cuts right thru it.

If you have some flexibility, I suggest you head toward central NJ, perhaps the Mercer County area....
But the great thing about Edison is that on Oak Tree Road in Iselin there are all the fab Indian restaurants and shops (to buy your curry powder, Bird's custard, Ribena, Lucozade, Ovaltine etc).....there is a huge Indian expatriate population there.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
But the great thing about Edison is that on Oak Tree Road in Iselin there are all the fab Indian restaurants and shops (to buy your curry powder, Bird's custard, Ribena, Lucozade, Ovaltine etc).....there is a huge Indian expatriate population there.
I can't say I know Iselin at all. The Princeton Junction-Plainsboro-West Windsor area is also a major population center for Indian expats. Oh, the restaurants -- mangia!! I'm not sure if there are kids in the equation, but if so, it's worth noting that the West Windsor school system is ranked one of the top three in the state (last I heard).
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:57 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shamroxx
I can't say I know Iselin at all. The Princeton Junction-Plainsboro-West Windsor area is also a major population center for Indian expats. Oh, the restaurants -- mangia!! I'm not sure if there are kids in the equation, but if so, it's worth noting that the West Windsor school system is ranked one of the top three in the state (last I heard).
There are Indian restaurants all over North and Central Jersey but I have to say they are not as good as UK curry houses. Iselin is driving distance from the Princeton area. The Princeton area is quite expensive though. You pay for the greenery.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shahlax
There are Indian restaurants all over North and Central Jersey but I have to say they are not as good as UK curry houses. Iselin is driving distance from the Princeton area. The Princeton area is quite expensive though. You pay for the greenery.
What's left of the greenery, anyway. So many building sites under development. Bah humbug. LOL

We're renting in Princeton Junction ourselves. We could never afford to buy down here. KA-CHING!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 3:09 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shahlax
There are Indian restaurants all over North and Central Jersey but I have to say they are not as good as UK curry houses.
Try the Bombay Grill and Bistro in New Brunswick - excellent food.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:31 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil
Try the Bombay Grill and Bistro in New Brunswick - excellent food.
Thanks. I've walked past it but never stepped in.