Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How much money do we need?

How much money do we need?

Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:04 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: victorville, CA
Posts: 6
mercsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How much money do we need?

Hi everybody. I am in the process of applying for a visa for my USC hubby as were are moving back to the UK in May. We have as of this moment $10,000 in our accounts, plus I have a tax refund hitting my account around Feb 14th for $2500. We also have a 2006 truck and motorcycle to sell on approval of the visa. I have a letter from my parents stating they are willing to house and feed me, my husband and our 1 yr old son for 50 gbp per week until we are on our feet. Do you think that is enough to satisfy them with the funding or not?
Many thanks for any advice.
Nici
mercsgirl is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:32 am
  #2  
Finally Home!
 
sallysimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Used to be New York, now North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,610
sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money do we need?

£50 a week will feed you but it won't house you as well. You don't say where you're going to be living, but I doubt you'll find anything big enough for 3 people anywhere in the UK for £200 a month. Have you looked at rental properties online?
sallysimmons is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2012, 1:57 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: victorville, CA
Posts: 6
mercsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money do we need?

Thanks for your response. My parents are letting us live with them for as long as we need to get established and they have given me a letter stating exactly that.
mercsgirl is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:30 am
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 18
JackF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money do we need?

Must be exciting to move back in many ways. Money has always been a concern for me and whether we could both find suitable positions if we went, and having been in California for years now, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the climate. It sounds like you have a decent enough cushion to return on, given that you'll be living with family. Good luck to you.
JackF is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:04 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
mayhemuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Cornwall >>> Marin, CA >>> Cornwall!
Posts: 740
mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much money do we need?

We had similar funds when we moved back. And did a similar letter from my folks.
They will likely ask some further questions about your parental home. We ended up providing a copy of a council tax bill to show they did indeed have a property in their name.
I wouldn't put any specifics in the letter about money or time. Just a firm statement that they will be supporting you when you arrive back and have the means to do so.
Our move was Aug 2010 so obviously the goalposts are moving soon (If they haven't moved somewhat already)

Last edited by mayhemuk; Feb 8th 2012 at 8:05 am. Reason: typo central!
mayhemuk is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:35 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: victorville, CA
Posts: 6
mercsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money do we need?

Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Must be exciting to move back in many ways. Money has always been a concern for me and whether we could both find suitable positions if we went, and having been in California for years now, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the climate. It sounds like you have a decent enough cushion to return on, given that you'll be living with family. Good luck to you.
I am very excited and nervous at the same time. I came to the US because I fell in love with a SoCal man. After having a baby though things have changed and I want my baby to have is family around him and my hubby is not close to his family at all. I must admit I can't wait to get some decent bread!! Lol
mercsgirl is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:38 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: victorville, CA
Posts: 6
mercsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money do we need?

Originally Posted by mayhemuk View Post
We had similar funds when we moved back. And did a similar letter from my folks.
They will likely ask some further questions about your parental home. We ended up providing a copy of a council tax bill to show they did indeed have a property in their name.
I wouldn't put any specifics in the letter about money or time. Just a firm statement that they will be supporting you when you arrive back and have the means to do so.
Our move was Aug 2010 so obviously the goalposts are moving soon (If they haven't moved somewhat already)
Thanks for the advice. I am also sending a copy of the land registry with both my folks names on it and shows they have no mortgage. Who did you use to move all your stuff?
mercsgirl is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:59 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
mayhemuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Cornwall >>> Marin, CA >>> Cornwall!
Posts: 740
mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How much money do we need?

We used Farnsworth Mayflower. I'm not sure who they connect with but the chap who did our move was known to us.
On the way out we used Allied Pickfords. Both did what they said on the tin. Approx 200cuft think it was a little under $3000 door to door.
Cindyabs was helpful in arranging flights aswell.
Where are you heading back to??

Last edited by mayhemuk; Feb 9th 2012 at 1:04 pm. Reason: Added stuff....
mayhemuk is offline  
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:22 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: victorville, CA
Posts: 6
mercsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money do we need?

We are going to be in peterborough. Not taking any furniture just personal effects and Romans crib .
mercsgirl is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:04 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 110
MNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really niceMNandMN is just really nice
Default Re: How much money do we need?

I moved back from Barstow to Leicestershire for the same reasons, children knowing their family. This was in 1985, but I have never regretted it. Let me know if I can give you any advice about being back in the UK, as we are not too far from Peterborough.
MNandMN is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:20 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: victorville, CA
Posts: 6
mercsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much money do we need?

Originally Posted by MNandMN View Post
I moved back from Barstow to Leicestershire for the same reasons, children knowing their family. This was in 1985, but I have never regretted it. Let me know if I can give you any advice about being back in the UK, as we are not too far from Peterborough.
That's really helpful thank you. I live in victorville now, so very close to where you were!
mercsgirl is offline  
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:25 pm
  #12  
Back from India
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 793
pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How much money do we need?

Originally Posted by mercsgirl View Post
Hi everybody. I am in the process of applying for a visa for my USC hubby as were are moving back to the UK in May. We have as of this moment $10,000 in our accounts, plus I have a tax refund hitting my account around Feb 14th for $2500. We also have a 2006 truck and motorcycle to sell on approval of the visa. I have a letter from my parents stating they are willing to house and feed me, my husband and our 1 yr old son for 50 gbp per week until we are on our feet. Do you think that is enough to satisfy them with the funding or not?
Many thanks for any advice.
Nici
if you check out the link at the top of the page and look for Maintenance and Accommodation you will get some Idea.

Truck and cycle not really taken into account.

I would not say that your parents will charge you as you are quite low on funds. Why not get them to say rent free until you settle. You need to show that after paying rent ( which in your case will be nil) and council tax ( will your presence create and increase in council tax?) You and your hubby will have around GBP 160 left each week to support you all. Does he have work secured do you both have good chance of work etc

You do not say if you have been married over 4 years if so this may help your situation as hubby will be able ( under current rules) to sit life in UK test as soon as he arrives and convert visa to ILR

Last edited by pennylessinindia; Feb 12th 2012 at 1:27 pm.
pennylessinindia is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.