Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Arkansas / Memphis

Arkansas / Memphis

Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice
Default Arkansas / Memphis

I have been offered a new job by a company in the Cinncinnati area, though I would be based further south anywhere around Arkansas and Memphis. The job is related to the steel industry.
Although I have friends in the USA, to ask about life in general, I do not know anything about the area where I will be living. With 2 young children, I will looking for a life in the 'burbs with plenty of open spaces and things to keep them occupied.
Any recommendations on where to/not to live ?
Old Feb 11th 2012, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arkansas / Memphis

Memphis has some pretty crime-ridden areas. My father lived there for several years and that's one of the reasons he left. Before renting/buying in any area, research the crime stats for the zip code and surrounding areas. Hopefully someone else can be more specific about neighborhoods to avoid.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 1:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's the visa status going to be?

If it's a company transfer and a L1 visa, the spouse can work....if it's a H1B, you won't be starting till October and the spouse won't be allowed to work.

Don't know if that'll impact your budgeting concerns or not.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Memphis area has come up a few times in the past, so you might get lucky and finding a good starting point if you search them out....though city-data.com might be another good starting point too
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really niceandrewrh is just really nice

Thanks Bluegrass, Bob.

I found a thread from 2010. Germantown was mentioned as a nice place. The downside is the 10 months per year of mozzies. Surviving 5 months of them, in China, is about my limit!

The job would start within the next 2-3 months. Not even thought of the visa types so far - I guess my wife would like a chance to work, to pass the time when the children are both at school.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrh
The job would start within the next 2-3 months. Not even thought of the visa types so far - I guess my wife would like a chance to work, to pass the time when the children are both at school.
Then it's a company transfer, if you've been with them for a year and in management or have niche company knowledge

If it's a fresh new job, it'll not be happening in your time frame.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

It is a fresh new job, though I know the management as we worked together in the past. As I said, the visa part is not more important to me than knowing where to live : crime free and mozzie bite free. Maybe commuting further would give me a more prefferable home locale. I am "phoning-a-friend" next week.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a fresh new job, though I know the management as we worked together in the past. As I said, the visa part is not more important to me than knowing where to live
Well if it is a job with a new employer you will almost certainly be looking at getting an H1-B visa in which case you will have about 7 1/2 months to figure out where you are gong to live since you won't be starting work until October at the earliest.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It is a fresh new job, though I know the management as we worked together in the past. As I said, the visa part is not more important to me than knowing where to live : crime free and mozzie bite free. Maybe commuting further would give me a more prefferable home locale. I am "phoning-a-friend" next week.
As mentioned above, the visa is, unfortunately very important as it's the show stopper.

If the job is with a non-profit, research related type company, affiliated with a university, it might be exempt from the H1 visa quota, in which case they could get it straight away for you to start, if it isn't, they can't apply for the visa till April, for a Oct start.

Good luck
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

West Memphis AR is an absolute shithole.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

The company have brought over 2 other Brits in recent years so they know the ropes. The difference this time is that I am not living in the UK and prefer not to revert back to UK residence before relocating as I would have a headache applying for my wife's UK visa....