British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How much is enough – Northeast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-much-enough-%E2%80%93-northeast-844771/)

Sally Redux Oct 9th 2014 7:06 pm

Re: How much is enough – Northeast

Originally Posted by dan_j (Post 11433521)
This is not what i'm seeing, and I'm not even talking about weekly specials:
mySupermarket - Compare Prices - Shop Online - Save Money
have you been to Uk recently?

In case you hadn't already got the message, food is cheaper in the UK :lol:

hoffage123 Oct 9th 2014 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11433613)
If we followed this admonition, BE would have closed down a decade or more ago.

Hmm just noticed the missing apostrophe

Missed a full-stop. :eek: :p

robin1234 Oct 9th 2014 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11433615)
In case you hadn't already got the message, food is cheaper in the UK :lol:

I've noticed that Yorkshire Gold tea bags are high over here. My son generally buys me loose tea in Waitrose and brings it over. Almost pays for his plane ticket!

hoffage123 Oct 9th 2014 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11433627)
I've noticed that Yorkshire Gold tea bags are high over here. My son generally buys me loose tea in Waitrose and brings it over. Almost pays for his plane ticket!

My friend sent us over three X240 tea-bags packs of Yorkshire Tea - we are working our way through it sparingly. I love me some Yorkshire Tea :)

Hoffage

robin1234 Oct 9th 2014 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by hoffage123 (Post 11433628)
My friend sent us over three X240 tea-bags packs of Yorkshire Tea - we are working our way through it sparingly. I love me some Yorkshire Tea :)

Hoffage

Years ago, American tea was just called "tea" so you knew it was crap, so didn't make the mistake of buying it. Then the US brands discovered the concept of "English Breakfast Tea", and other English sounding names (Queen Mother's Blend, etc. etc.) But it's still the same totally crap tea, just deceptively branded.

dan_j Oct 9th 2014 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by hoffage123 (Post 11433628)

Hoffage

Will have to account for that on the monthly budget :cool:

Bob Oct 9th 2014 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Philk (Post 11433584)
Ah, yes, winters :eek:

So maybe add Set of Snow Tires ( x2 - my set cost $800 ) to the budget - and snowplough service if you have a house with a long driveway and don't want to be up at 5am shoveling ( otherwise buy yourself a snowblower )

Studs are worth it in northern Maine, not so much in the Dover area of NH....it's cold, but not that massively snowy, not proper stuff at least...decent tyres are worth it though and they're not cheap either.

Snow ploughing, depending on the town/state, it might be something that the landlord has to provide, so would be included in the rent.

Up in Maine, it's about $60 but down my way, it's about $200...so a decent shovel and ibuprofen it is :lol:

Bob Oct 9th 2014 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by dan_j (Post 11433588)
- $ ___ extra school spendings (after school activities including sport related)

Piece of string question.

Ice hockey and you're looking at several hundred for the gear, cost of ice time for a hour every morning and a couple hours after school, plus cost of doing the actual thing, plus cost of games and competitions, so factor several thousand a year.

Skiing, would depend on the state and where you live, lot of resorts do reduced rates for town residents and restricted day/time passes could be a few hundred a season to a few thousand.

Down my way, all kindergarten/first grade sports seem to run for 4-6 week seasons and run for around $120-180 plus equipment plus cost of match/competitions. Cousins up in Maine, spend $60 for their 4th grader to do baseball and basketball for the sports season and that includes the gear.

Sally Redux Oct 9th 2014 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11433627)

Tea is a revelation here.

In fact I feel like I'm back from 9 years in a gulag all round, but this is not the place.

rpjs Oct 9th 2014 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11433672)

You certainly understand why they threw it in Boston Harbour back in the day.

Sally Redux Oct 9th 2014 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs (Post 11433693)
You certainly understand why they threw it in Boston Harbour back in the day.

:lol:

robin1234 Oct 9th 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11433672)

In fact I feel like I'm back from 9 years in a gulag all round, but this is not the place.

I'm still pacing back and forth, glimpsing the sky through the bars...
But you're right, this is not the place.

Sally Redux Oct 9th 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 11433708)
I'm still pacing back and forth, glimpsing the sky through the bars...
But you're right, this is not the place.

Bide your time.

Jerseygirl Oct 9th 2014 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by studentgwant (Post 11433517)
Electric I would estimate at $200-250, you dont pay water if you rent.

Really? We did when we rented in NJ.

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 10th 2014 12:10 am

If you have a job offer but don't know the deductions and benefits yet then I would say wait and see exactly what your take home is, and then figure out what you will need to live comfortably.

Is there any reason why you want to live in the NE other than the job offer??

If you are in IT there are probably similar job opportunities in less expensive states.

You may need to rethink your strategy. Once you are here it becomes harder to cope with when you are struggling financially. And there are far fewer safety nets to fall back on.

Good luck in your adventure, but take notes. There are a lot of experienced expats here giving advise to help you avoid the pitfalls.