Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long til US embassy interview?

How long til US embassy interview?

Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

cherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nice
Default How long til US embassy interview?

I have just had I130 application (filed in USA) approved and received notification that my case has been transferred to NVC (after a long 6 months).
I know answers can only be approximate as all cases different but can anyone tell me how long after the next stage (DS3032 and I864 completion, IV application etc) I can expect to receive embassy interview? The reason being is I was intending to return to the states to stay with my husband for a couple of months in 6 weeks time. But Im wondering if this is in fact a good idea as I dont want to be in the USA when interview date is scheduled. If its not going to be for at least 3/4 months from this next lot of forms then this shouldnt be a problem (or perhaps I will need to purchase a more... flexible fare..way more expensive )

Many thanks for any advice/info u can give
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How long til US embassy interview?

hi,im at the same stage as .

looking at other peoples recent timlines thenvc process takes around 1 month,if you have all documents to hand,

interviews seem to be around a month or so after case complete at nvc

so in theory you could be looking at an interview around june time

this is just going off other peoples experiances lately.

thanks
dean&lori
Old Apr 10th 2012, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

cherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nicecherh66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by redarmy990

looking at other peoples recent timlines thenvc process takes around 1 month,if you have all documents to hand,

thanks
dean&lori
thanks. good luck with yrs...
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

thanks
dean&lori
PS...although ive had i130 approval (dated 19th March)...I havent received next lot of instructions/forms yet. How long did it take for u to get yours or r u in same position as me?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You aren't going to get much by post, just the DS-3032 I believe, which you and your petitioner should be getting soon. Go to the NVC's Immigrant Visa Processing web pages at travel.state.gov to find out how things will play out from here.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cherh66
PS...although ive had i130 approval (dated 19th March)...I havent received next lot of instructions/forms yet. How long did it take for u to get yours or r u in same position as me?
hi cherh66

i would have thought you should have had something by now.

our noa2 was 2 april received at nvc on the 4th why not get your us spose call the nvc heres some info

* Once the USC receives the AOS (I-864) Bill and the copy of the DS-3032 one can save time by emailing or faxing a copy of the DS-3032 Choice of Agent form to the beneficiary overseas who then selects the agent, signs the form and returns it to the address on the form. Doesn't save much but it saves the mailing time from NVC to the spouse.

* Have the beneficiary (now the applicant) fill out the DS-230 and send it to the USC if they are to be the agent....this can be done at any time before the DS-230 is generated at NVC. Once it is generated it will be sent to the agent, the signed copy with the cover sheet (that the agent will receive) which has the barcode can then be mailed to NVC.

* Have the beneficiary (now the applicant) forward any documents, photocopies etc that may be required to be submitted with the DS-230 to you ahead of time. Check out the Department of State website HERE
Scroll down and select the Instructions for Visa Immigrant Applicant appropriate for the country of your spouse. Forms are also available there for you to download but please check to see if they are the latest version.

* Complete the I-864 which is also available in the above link for download. When NVC generates this form it comes to you with a barcode cover sheet which you will then need to return along with your completed I-864 form.

IMPORTANT
Familiarise yourself with the NVC PROCESS & FLOWCHART for an Immigrant Visa so you know the order in which forms will be generated and what is sent to the USC (petitioner) and your spouse (beneficiary/applicant) to be completed.

NVC Automated Voice Response Service
So your I-130 petition has been approved and forwarded to NVC
Now you are wanting to know if it has been received and a case number assigned
You can use your CIS (NOA) receipt number from your approval to find out.

On calling the NVC automated voice response number (603) 334-0700 you will....
press 2 for Non Haiti Immigrant Visa
press 1 for English or press 2 for Spanish
(If you wish to speak to someone directly, press 5)
If not and you are just wanting to hear information about your immigrant visa, press 1

It will then ask you if you know your CIS receipt number.....press 1
(Once you have a case number you can use this.....press 2)

You then follow the instructions to key in your number.
If will then tell you if NVC has received the petition, and assigned a number.

This automated service is available 24/7.
Once you have your case number you can call them at any time to hear any updates on your case, using either the NVC case number or your CIS (NOA) receipt number.

Choice of Agent
Many are having success in emailing the NVC to choose their agent in place of mailing the DS-3032. NVC generally sends a confirmation email within a couple of days. If not you will need to call to confirm that it has been accepted.

[email protected]

In the Subject/Title line put your NVC assigned Case Number and the Beneficiary's Name

Example for body of email:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re the subject line case number

My name is (put full name),

I have not received my DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) form and I would like to appoint my husband/wife as my choice of agent.

His/her name is (full name)
(Full mailing address)

All correspondence from the U.S. Department of State (National Visa Center) concerning my immigration visa application should be sent to my appointed agent at the address above. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Peaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nice

I recognise that text..
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lol
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

hi cherh66

i would have thought you should have had something by now.

our noa2 was 2 april received at nvc on the 4th why not get your us spose call the nvc heres some info

* Once the USC receives the AOS (I-864) Bill and the copy of the DS-3032 one can save time by emailing or faxing a copy of the DS-3032 Choice of Agent form to the beneficiary overseas who then selects the agent, signs the form and returns it to the address on the form. Doesn't save much but it saves the mailing time from NVC to the spouse.

* Have the beneficiary (now the applicant) fill out the DS-230 and send it to the USC if they are to be the agent....this can be done at any time before the DS-230 is generated at NVC. Once it is generated it will be sent to the agent, the signed copy with the cover sheet (that the agent will receive) which has the barcode can then be mailed to NVC.

* Have the beneficiary (now the applicant) forward any documents, photocopies etc that may be required to be submitted with the DS-230 to you ahead of time. Check out the Department of State website HERE
Scroll down and select the Instructions for Visa Immigrant Applicant appropriate for the country of your spouse. Forms are also available there for you to download but please check to see if they are the latest version.

* Complete the I-864 which is also available in the above link for download. When NVC generates this form it comes to you with a barcode cover sheet which you will then need to return along with your completed I-864 form.

IMPORTANT
Familiarise yourself with the NVC PROCESS & FLOWCHART for an Immigrant Visa so you know the order in which forms will be generated and what is sent to the USC (petitioner) and your spouse (beneficiary/applicant) to be completed.

NVC Automated Voice Response Service
So your I-130 petition has been approved and forwarded to NVC
Now you are wanting to know if it has been received and a case number assigned
You can use your CIS (NOA) receipt number from your approval to find out.

On calling the NVC automated voice response number (603) 334-0700 you will....
press 2 for Non Haiti Immigrant Visa
press 1 for English or press 2 for Spanish
(If you wish to speak to someone directly, press 5)
If not and you are just wanting to hear information about your immigrant visa, press 1

It will then ask you if you know your CIS receipt number.....press 1
(Once you have a case number you can use this.....press 2)

You then follow the instructions to key in your number.
If will then tell you if NVC has received the petition, and assigned a number.

This automated service is available 24/7.
Once you have your case number you can call them at any time to hear any updates on your case, using either the NVC case number or your CIS (NOA) receipt number.

Choice of Agent
Many are having success in emailing the NVC to choose their agent in place of mailing the DS-3032. NVC generally sends a confirmation email within a couple of days. If not you will need to call to confirm that it has been accepted.

[email protected]

In the Subject/Title line put your NVC assigned Case Number and the Beneficiary's Name

Example for body of email:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Re the subject line case number

My name is (put full name),

I have not received my DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) form and I would like to appoint my husband/wife as my choice of agent.

His/her name is (full name)
(Full mailing address)

All correspondence from the U.S. Department of State (National Visa Center) concerning my immigration visa application should be sent to my appointed agent at the address above. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,
Sooo helpful. Thanks for taking the time to send me all this. yr a star!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

MrsMacIver is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting all of your paperwork, and the needed documentation together BEFORE the NVC asks for it will cut down on your waiting time significantly. My husband and I went through this very recently, and I found the most frustrating part of the process to be waiting for all the documentation to come together.

I recommend sending away for your police certificate as soon as possible, since it can take a few weeks. Also, get two copies of the certificate; they ask for you to bring a copy to the medical exam.

Also, a huge time saver for us was sending the AoS and the DS-230 to the NVC at the same time. A friend of mine used to work there, and he suggested this. We received a reply from the NVC, with an interview date, via email only a week after I sent the documents.

We received the notice on March 6th, and his interview is scheduled for April 13th (Yes, THIS Friday!) Also, the medical exams are easy to book, and we had no problem getting one quickly.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by MrsMacIver; Apr 11th 2012 at 10:42 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 11:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsMacIver
I recommend sending away for your police certificate as soon as possible, since it can take a few weeks. Also, get two copies of the certificate; they ask for you to bring a copy to the medical exam.
You can bring a photocopy of the police report to the medical exam. However, it's not a bad idea to order 2 originals, just in case.

Rene
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsMacIver
Getting all of your paperwork, and the needed documentation together BEFORE the NVC asks for it will cut down on your waiting time significantly. My husband and I went through this very recently, and I found the most frustrating part of the process to be waiting for all the documentation to come together.

Also, a huge time saver for us was sending the AoS and the DS-230 to the NVC at the same time. A friend of mine used to work there, and he suggested this. We received a reply from the NVC, with an interview date, via email only a week after I sent the documents.

We received the notice on March 6th, and his interview is scheduled for April 13th (Yes, THIS Friday!) Also, the medical exams are easy to book, and we had no problem getting one quickly.

Hope this helps!!
Thats good to know. Thank u!
PS, ive been told that I can book medical as soon as I receive NVC case number which they tell me should b in next few days. How do I know where to book the medical or is this info all available online?

btw...best of luck for your interview!!!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 6:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats good to know. Thank u!
PS, ive been told that I can book medical as soon as I receive NVC case number which they tell me should b in next few days. How do I know where to book the medical or is this info all available online?

btw...best of luck for your interview!!!
It's online.

Rene
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sooo helpful. Thanks for taking the time to send me all this. yr a star!
your very welcome.were at the same stage.
ive got all my documents,ive had them months.

mu wife in the usa has got copys of them all.i will take originals to interview.

mu wife seems to think she needs two us sized passport pictures to send with the ds230. i thought i took therm to my interview.

can any one clarify this

thanks dean&lori
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Peaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nicePeaksy is just really nice

We had to submit photos with the ds230 and again the interview letter is requesting the same for the big day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.