Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How long do you need to pay Class II NI contributions for?

How long do you need to pay Class II NI contributions for?

Old Apr 7th 2022, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

California1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long do you need to pay Class II NI contributions for?

Just an update and thanks for your help.
Ten days ago I paid a single payment for a 52 week year with the designation NICO as I couldn't get HSBC online to work with the designation NI Receipts but then I called online banking and they added the account designation NI receipts to the payee and it worked as a single payment for a 53 week year with the designation NI RECEIPTS. I happened to be in England last week so I called HMRC and they said just send the whole lot as a single payment vs single years so I sent the balancing 14 years. I appreciate the subtlety that I may overpay as I will have 31 full years to 2015/2016 and then 5 years 2016/17 thru 2021/22.

I went online today and the first 52 week payment had been credited already to 2021-2022 increasing the online pension estimate and designating 22 full years vs 21. I hope the other payments clear so smoothly.

Thanks for your help and wisdom
Old Apr 8th 2022, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do you need to pay Class II NI contributions for?

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
No, it’s totally unrelated to anything you do in the US.
I think if you are not employed in the US, strictly speaking you have to pay Class 3 contributions rather than Class 2? But I doubt NI could know that you retired in the US.