Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate and State pension

Exchange rate and State pension

Old Mar 28th 2022, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Rosnanda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchange rate and State pension

I am about to apply for UK Stay pension. Is the exchange rate for paying it directly into a US bank account determined at the time of each payment?
Is there any advantage to opting for quarterly over monthly payments?
Old Mar 28th 2022, 4:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate and State pension

Originally Posted by Rosnanda
I am about to apply for UK Stay pension. Is the exchange rate for paying it directly into a US bank account determined at the time of each payment?
Is there any advantage to opting for quarterly over monthly payments?
Yes, re the exchange rate. I have a very minimal UK pension, so opted to receive it quarterly. If you are talking about more money, you may want to receive it more frequently.
Old Apr 6th 2022, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Rosnanda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.
It seems easy enough to apply by phone, and can be done 4 months prior to eligibility date
Old Apr 7th 2022, 2:34 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I have both of my military pensions paid direct into my US account.
Exchange rates are very favorable and no extra charges.
But, the $ amount varies month to month based on the rate.
Some years I'm $200 up, some years $200 down .
Old Apr 12th 2022, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

TerryGoX is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just started to receive my UK pension - I have 1 month paid so far and elected the monthly plan but I am paying into a UK account (Wise) as I have funds in a private pension also in the UK. I want to move the private pension through the same process so am using my small UK state pension to "oil the wheels". I was worried about tax but they are not withholding any for state pension. I will transfer to US funds based on exchange rates - I can move to US dollars in the same account without transferring to US - I plan to transfer to US about quarterly.

Old Apr 12th 2022, 7:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerryGoX
I have just started to receive my UK pension - I have 1 month paid so far and elected the monthly plan but I am paying into a UK account (Wise) .... - I can move to US dollars in the same account without transferring to US - I plan to transfer to US about quarterly.
Bear in mind that Wise is not a bank, and your relationship with Wise is not a "bank account", therefore your money held by Wise is not covered by deposit insurance in the event that Wise fails.

This may or may not be a concern to you, but personally I wouldn't leave more money with Wise than I was prepared to lose, even if the risk was quite low.