Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How to get parents from UK to Boston on a ship???!!

How to get parents from UK to Boston on a ship???!!

Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy How to get parents from UK to Boston on a ship???!!

Hello all!

Im new here, so please be gentle with me. I usually post on the 'visajourney' website but noticed this site the other day and thought I'd post this question here too. Bit of a weird question but I wondered if anyone has any good ideas/suggestions... here goes:

Yesterday I received my K-1 visa Sadly my joy was short lived as 10mins later I got a text message from my sister telling me that my dad has been to the doctor, and the doctor strongly advises he does not fly. Which means he cant come to the wedding

The only thing I can think to do is look for a ship! I have found cruises but they go from Southampton to New York, and are around £900 ONE WAY (its assumed the traveller will fly back, which of course he cant!). So the cost for both my parents to come via cruise will be really quite expensive as they would have to get two one-ways each. Someone mentioned to me that container ships actually take passengers and are much quicker than cruises, but I have no idea where to search for these.

Just wondered if anyone has any idea if this is possible or know of anyone who has travelled to the US this way... bit of a long-shot I know! Might just have to get used to the idea that the parents wont be able to attend the wedding.

thanks all!

MB
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get parents from UK to Boston on a ship???!!

Originally Posted by MiniBrit
Hello all!

Im new here, so please be gentle with me. I usually post on the 'visajourney' website but noticed this site the other day and thought I'd post this question here too. Bit of a weird question but I wondered if anyone has any good ideas/suggestions... here goes:

Yesterday I received my K-1 visa Sadly my joy was short lived as 10mins later I got a text message from my sister telling me that my dad has been to the doctor, and the doctor strongly advises he does not fly. Which means he cant come to the wedding

The only thing I can think to do is look for a ship! I have found cruises but they go from Southampton to New York, and are around £900 ONE WAY (its assumed the traveller will fly back, which of course he cant!). So the cost for both my parents to come via cruise will be really quite expensive as they would have to get two one-ways each. Someone mentioned to me that container ships actually take passengers and are much quicker than cruises, but I have no idea where to search for these.

Just wondered if anyone has any idea if this is possible or know of anyone who has travelled to the US this way... bit of a long-shot I know! Might just have to get used to the idea that the parents wont be able to attend the wedding.

thanks all!

MB
Here is a link to a UK site that has offers for passengers on freighters some from Liverpool and others from Thamesport

http://members.aol.com/CruiseAZ/transat.htm

however they are not cheap you should expect to pay a minimum of $1,250 to $1,500 per person each way, but that is for a weeks board and lodging too dont forget plus as much tax free as you can afford to get down your neck :scared:
Old Mar 25th 2005, 3:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: How to get parents from UK to Boston on a ship???!!

If you go to this link and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see quite a few links to freighter/cruise shipping lines which take passengers on transatlantic crossings...for example an option might be to sail on that crossing from Thameslink (Kent) to Montreal which sails 2-3 times per month.

Perhaps your mum could fly and just your dad take the ship, or your dad could cruise both directions and your mum cruises one-way and flies one-way to bring the cost down?

I think they would be heartbroken to miss your wedding.

http://www.seat61.com/Linkspage.htm

If all else fails, you could consider what my old schoolfriend did; he's lived in Sunnyvale, Calfornia since the mid-80s and got married for the second time (his first was in England). He had a wedding ceremony in California, then as part of his honeymoon had a 'blessing' ceremony in a church in England (it was in either a Methodist church or United Reformed church, I can't remember which) and they had a big reception/party afterwards so all his English family and friends didn't miss out on the celebrations.