Holiday Ham

Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Holiday Ham

Hubby has just walked in with a frozen holiday ham...no instructions on the outside on how to cook the $30 worth of meat, but there is a useful handy packet of glaze included....

So, any tips on how to cook this thing??? And the obvious of getting him to cook it is a non-starter!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 11:35 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Ham

Originally Posted by Lottie
Hubby has just walked in with a frozen holiday ham...no instructions on the outside on how to cook the $30 worth of meat, but there is a useful handy packet of glaze included....

So, any tips on how to cook this thing??? And the obvious of getting him to cook it is a non-starter!
defrost it and throw it in the oven. i think its about 20 min a pound
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:09 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

It's a ham so it's already cooked so you only need to reheat the meat. Would suggest you look at websites like Honeybaked Ham, Heavenly Ham or similar sites that might have directions about reheating hams.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

stick it in oven at around 350F for a while to heat it up, after you've left it overnight in the fridge to defrost...

so you gonna go mash spuds with it? *lol*
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
stick it in oven at around 350F for a while to heat it up, after you've left it overnight in the fridge to defrost...

so you gonna go mash spuds with it? *lol*

Definitely!

Have just moved from the apartment into a house, so spent the past week u-hauling everything and un-packing. We've made some really great ex-pat friends who have fed us most nights this week, so in return I'm doing a roast on Sunday! Of course hubby walked in with the ham and I was like, well this isn't a chicken! So menu will be full roast (including mash as I always do mash and roast potatoes). Plus, Nigella Lawson's sticky toffee pudding, which is ridiculously easy to make, but yummy, oh and lots of wine (of course)!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Give it too the dog or the in laws and go find a restaurant...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:10 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely!

Have just moved from the apartment into a house, so spent the past week u-hauling everything and un-packing. We've made some really great ex-pat friends who have fed us most nights this week, so in return I'm doing a roast on Sunday! Of course hubby walked in with the ham and I was like, well this isn't a chicken! So menu will be full roast (including mash as I always do mash and roast potatoes). Plus, Nigella Lawson's sticky toffee pudding, which is ridiculously easy to make, but yummy, oh and lots of wine (of course)!
What a time to have moved into a house! You'll be so busy. I wish you luck with your Easter spread.

Ignore Ray. He's the BE "stick in the mud" when it comes to all things fun.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Give me nicotine ..then I will be fun...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally Posted by Ray
Give me nicotine ..then I will be fun...
I think you're thinking of the wrong drug there...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 25th 2005, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Next time, go to HoneyBaked Ham and get one already done up! It is WELL WORTH worth the cost, and great tasting.

There are two ways you can do it that are pretty simple.

1. Douse it with coke (yes the liquid variety ), cover with foil and leave it to cook for a couple of hrs on 250/300 or so.

2. Throw some pineapple including juice over it (tinned would be fine) and ditto for the rest.

Now, how about posting that Nigella recipe? I'm going to a dinner party and need to take dessert!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now, how about posting that Nigella recipe? I'm going to a dinner party and need to take dessert![/QUOTE]

No probs at all, part's of this sound wierd, but trust me it works!

For the cake:
100g dark muscovado sugar (I used Cane dark brown sugar)
175g self raising flour (you can get SR flour out here, I've found it in Wegmans)
125ml full fat milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g unsalted butter, melted ---I used salted 'lurpack' and it was fine
200g chopped, rolled dates (couldn't find chopped, rolled dates, but is fine with chopped dates)

For the sauce:
200g dark muscovado sugar
approx 25g (un)salted butter in little blobs
500ml boiling water

1) Preheat oven to 190 degrees C/ 375 degrees F
2) Butter a 1.5 litre capacity pudding dish
3) Mix 100g dark sugar and SR flour in bowl
4) Pour milk in measuring jug, beat in egg, vanilla extract and melted butter
5) Add liquid to flour/sugar mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon
6) Fold in dates and scrape the cake mixture into the prepared pudding dish
7) Sprinkle over 200g dark muscovado sugar and dot with butter
8) Pour over boiling water (I'm not joking!)
9) Cook for approx 45 mins, until top of pudding is springy and spongy, and the sugar and water have turned into a sticky toffee sauce
10) Serve with cream, creme fraiche or vanilla icecream

Recipe reckons serves 6-8, now Nigella portions are normally good, but I can only ever get this to serve 4 people, but they do always have seconds!

Let me know how it goes. Hubby likes it so much I'm banned from making it apart from special occassions, he could eat a whole recipe for himself.

I'm not sure if it's worth taking this already cooked to a dinner party...but you can always do a trial run and see if it heats up well alternatively, take all the weighed ingredients with you, it's not really a hassle to make at all.

Let me know how you get on!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What a time to have moved into a house! You'll be so busy. I wish you luck with your Easter spread.

NC Penguin
Cheers! It's fine really, hubby was given 3 days off to move, and I get today off, so we're in pretty good shape...we only moved 5 miles down the road, so having moved 4,000 miles only 7 months ago, we just haven't been stressed at all with this one.

Ray's idea about feeding it to the in-laws isn't bad, they are coming over at the end of April, do you think I could get them to cook it to
Old Mar 25th 2005, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Now, how about posting that Nigella recipe? I'm going to a dinner party and need to take dessert!
No probs at all, part's of this sound wierd, but trust me it works!

For the cake:
100g dark muscovado sugar (I used Cane dark brown sugar)
175g self raising flour (you can get SR flour out here, I've found it in Wegmans)
125ml full fat milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g unsalted butter, melted ---I used salted 'lurpack' and it was fine
200g chopped, rolled dates (couldn't find chopped, rolled dates, but is fine with chopped dates)

For the sauce:
200g dark muscovado sugar
approx 25g (un)salted butter in little blobs
500ml boiling water

1) Preheat oven to 190 degrees C/ 375 degrees F
2) Butter a 1.5 litre capacity pudding dish
3) Mix 100g dark sugar and SR flour in bowl
4) Pour milk in measuring jug, beat in egg, vanilla extract and melted butter
5) Add liquid to flour/sugar mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon
6) Fold in dates and scrape the cake mixture into the prepared pudding dish
7) Sprinkle over 200g dark muscovado sugar and dot with butter
8) Pour over boiling water (I'm not joking!)
9) Cook for approx 45 mins, until top of pudding is springy and spongy, and the sugar and water have turned into a sticky toffee sauce
10) Serve with cream, creme fraiche or vanilla icecream

Recipe reckons serves 6-8, now Nigella portions are normally good, but I can only ever get this to serve 4 people, but they do always have seconds!

Let me know how it goes. Hubby likes it so much I'm banned from making it apart from special occassions, he could eat a whole recipe for himself.

I'm not sure if it's worth taking this already cooked to a dinner party...but you can always do a trial run and see if it heats up well alternatively, take all the weighed ingredients with you, it's not really a hassle to make at all.

Let me know how you get on![/QUOTE]
my god!! that sounds sooo good
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Fanks awfully!! They live up the road from me, so don't think it will be that bad. I'll tell you how it turned out.