Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How does it work??

How does it work??

Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does it work??

Originally Posted by Bob
whatever one he can get a visa for probably...
But do you think that's a good enough reason for deciding one's fate?

Or were you thinking on the same lines as me......tongue in cheek?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
thing is, getting a work visa is a lot easier though, no quota to worry about and all that...and if the US took part in the workers holiday visa, they'd be all set but as they don't, only NZ let them use it, shame really as it gives people good 2 years to check a country out and work.
Gotcha. Yes, I do think that in my industry if I really wanted to I could switch to a company with international offices and request a transfer. I have a friend who went to Japan that way. Too bad the US doesn't take part in the workers holiday visa as you've suggested.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

immortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really niceimmortalbeast is just really nice

Im looking at a few ideas. Im obviously just seeing which is the best place to be.

So.... if i got a skill and found a company in the usa that would sponser me. Would i get citizenship then?

Matt
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immortalbeast
Im looking at a few ideas. Im obviously just seeing which is the best place to be.

So.... if i got a skill and found a company in the usa that would sponser me. Would i get citizenship then?

Matt
The answer to that is possibly. But you don't just "get citizenship". It takes years. Someone might correct me, but as I understand it, if you got such a skill, say, a company might sponsor you across on a H1B Visa. Given that all goes well, and you apply for an extension after your first 3 years, after a total of 6 years you would be eligible to apply for a Green Card. Then, after another 5 years, you would be eligible to apply for citizenship. That can take up to a year or more to process. So not counting the time to get your skill, you could possibly get citizenship in about 12 years time.

Another way to do it would be to work for a big company and come across on a L1 visa which is a bit easier as I understand it, but thetimeframe probably not that much shorter, all told.

Only other thing I can think of is if you train and become a nurse, you might be able to get over in a shorter time that way, but I don't know anything about that.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 31st 2008 at 10:16 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:20 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
On the flip side, I'd absolutely love to live in Europe, at least for a few years. Very unlikely that this would be possible for me either. Too bad there isn't an exchange program.
EU passports, $1k each.
Non consecutive, small bills in a brown bag.
You might need the help of an IT guy to sort out the chips tho.

email here, if you please:

[email protected]

Old Jan 31st 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Only other thing I can think of is if you train and become a nurse, you might be able to get over in a shorter time that way, but I don't know anything about that.
Two things about that.
1) Why would he think of becoming a nurse? Has he mentioned an aptitude for the health sciences? Or did you just think that would be an easy degree? Grrrrrrrrrrr... pet peeve.
2) It wouldn't help. EB3 class for nurses is retrogressed and there are no visas available.

Last edited by augigi; Jan 31st 2008 at 11:44 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Two things about that.
1) Why would he think of becoming a nurse? Has he mentioned an aptitude for the health sciences? Or did you just think that would be an easy degree? Grrrrrrrrrrr... pet peeve.
2) It wouldn't help. EB3 class for nurses is retrogressed and there are no visas available.
No he didn't mention any aptitude for this or anything else for that matter, but to become a trained nurse is an option is it not? Quicker than becoming a doctor in any case. And I mentioned the nursing thing because it was neither a H1B or a L visa. Come to think of it, I think teachers have something as well if I remember.

Basically I think this whole thing is a non starter for this guy, but these are some of his options.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:02 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

chances of getting a hb1 visa very small due to extreme competition and limited numbers.

if he worked for a multinational company, getting them to agree to a L1 visa is a challenge as it will cost them thousands of dollars so he would have to be pretty special (and worked there at least a year).
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:16 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
EB3 class for nurses is retrogressed and there are no visas available.
Yeah, that makes an awfull lot of bleeding sense.
There is a hospital here offering $60/hr for contract nurses.
Because they cannot find staff RN's.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
On the flip side, I'd absolutely love to live in Europe, at least for a few years. Very unlikely that this would be possible for me either. Too bad there isn't an exchange program.
Have you looked into Holland? They have a special treaty with America which means Americans don't have to go through as many hoops to live there. And it's very possible to live there without any Dutch language skills (my husband managed it for 6 years).
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Have you looked into Holland? They have a special treaty with America which means Americans don't have to go through as many hoops to live there. And it's very possible to live there without any Dutch language skills (my husband managed it for 6 years).
No, I sure haven't. Holland is lovely. We're stuck here for the short term, but that's definitely good to know for the future. Thanks.