Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do you cope with missing family, friends back in the UK and guilt?

How do you cope with missing family, friends back in the UK and guilt?

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you cope with missing family, friends back in the UK and guilt?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Sounded to me like the Americans love the UK.
my OH does
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you cope with missing family, friends back in the UK and guilt?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my OH does
Mine too...
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Sounded to me like the Americans love the UK.
Sensible chaps these Americans

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sensible chaps these Americans

Well mine is
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:32 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to admit when I read the thread of all the Americans raving about the UK and all the lovely things about it I wanted to throw a tantrum like a petulant child as it made me soo home sick that I wanted to leave asap....oh hum...such is life and this is the one we chose....just have to suck it up I guess...
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Have to admit when I read the thread of all the Americans raving about the UK and all the lovely things about it I wanted to throw a tantrum like a petulant child as it made me soo home sick that I wanted to leave asap....oh hum...such is life and this is the one we chose....just have to suck it up I guess...
any plans for a visit to the uk?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
Well mine is
and mine most definitely is...he saw the light
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:44 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

any plans for a visit to the uk?
Trying....but unfortunately the purse decides when
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Trying....but unfortunately the purse decides when
and the exchange rate certainly does not help!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:46 pm
Last orders please...

and the exchange rate certainly does not help!
tell me about it .....:curse::curse:
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:41 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
I feel awful about leaving family back in England. I keep myself busy and try and keep my mind off it, but sometimes like now I just crash and miss everyone so much. I feel so guilty that Im not there for them when they need me and that they cant see grandchildren etc.
We have been here 3 years and havent had the cash to even visit since.
I call and email etc regularly, but most of the time it makes me feel worse.

Im just wondering if this is a common thing and how you cope with it?
I you allow yourself to feel guilty, people will exploit it.

get a grip and tell yourself that "This is where you chose to live, and people need to accept it"

airplanes go both ways.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gypsygirl
I feel awful about leaving family back in England. I keep myself busy and try and keep my mind off it, but sometimes like now I just crash and miss everyone so much. I feel so guilty that Im not there for them when they need me and that they cant see grandchildren etc.
We have been here 3 years and havent had the cash to even visit since.
I call and email etc regularly, but most of the time it makes me feel worse.

Im just wondering if this is a common thing and how you cope with it?

I understand some of your feelings. It can be very diffcult. After being here six long years and the fact that I now have my own children, I find the pull less. I have some bad days but I found getting involved in the local community in some way helped me a lot. I am in a county Moms club and sometimes I go to an astronomy club with my husband. We get involvedinthe Christmas parade inthe town, do lots of things...

I call my Mother three times a week. I have issues with taking a trip there. 1-Financial - It would cost thousands for us and I cannot justify that expense right now with needing to do improvements on my house and also needing to save for my childrens future education. 2 - I have a baby and toddler so I cannot bear trying to take car seats, strollers as well as our luggage all that way.

I found that having family visit here helps and the thoughts of knowing they are coming again. My brother is coming the year after next and bringing my Mother who is now almost blind. I am doing up the basement to accomodate them all so they feel very comfortable and will want to come back often... I just think about the days they will all be here and the fun things we can all do together. After all it is not the place... it is the people.. and also, when they do visit .. . they spend 24 hours with us all not just an hour here and there each week.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

The homesickness is part of the deal when you decide to leave the UK. I have been here 15 years and still deal with it, although it is not as bad now as it used to be. I go back to the UK about three times a year, so I am lucky that I can do that. However, I am getting tired of just going to the UK for my hols. I would like to start exploring other areas of the world, but then I feel guilty and book my ticket to the UK. I am hoping to go back soon (I keep saying that, but things haven't been working out recently) for good. That will cure the homesickness, I think.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I you allow yourself to feel guilty, people will exploit it.

get a grip and tell yourself that "This is where you chose to live, and people need to accept it"

airplanes go both ways.
Very well said. And the fact that you mostly get knob all time off in the US, combined with the pound/dollar situation, in my book means the planes should be coming the other way more frequently.

That said, I'm sure most go through several "We'd be better off in the UK" stages - as has been said, often this continues for many years - perhaps forever. I know I do - but I don't feel guilty about it. Now our little'un is here, its more acute - but basically, wherever we lived, being from both sides of the Atlantic, one set on inlaws noses'll always be out of joint. So we'll do whats best for us - I'd love my UK family to be more involved - who knows maybe they'll get their wish someday.....but it won't be because I'm feeling guilty.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I wonder whether all those who say they can't afford to go back make best use of air miles?

I keep switching credit cards that offer air miles as a signing on bonus, plus additional miles for every $ spent. I put every expenditure over $8 or so on cards and pay them off at the end of the month. Plus my Safeway card is also linked to an air miles account, so more miles.

It all adds up!
I didn't know my safeway card did air miles! Still I shan't be going back for a few years as it is sooo expensive and too much of a hassle right now. My priority is with the house and children here and my wish to go back is a low priority until my children are a bit older. I have a baby & toddler plus a 5 hour journey on the train once leaving London. How do you manage car seats, strollers as well as luggage and two babies. I stress just thinking about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.