British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   How do I know Im back in Blighty? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/how-do-i-know-im-back-blighty-723302/)

Steerpike Jul 5th 2011 7:20 am

Re: How do I know Im back in Blighty?

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex (Post 9470396)
Don't forget that suddenly every inch of pavement wherever you go will be spattered in dog shit. It almost seems as if the local council has hired a man to wander the night chucking it all over the place.

I thought that was Paris?

Steerpike Jul 5th 2011 8:28 am

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9471265)
After spending the last 2 years on BE I was all set for this on our recent trip back to England, first time we had been back since leaving nearly 4 years ago.

I didn't see any dog poop on the streets or in the parks we visited and there were plenty of dogs around.

I didn't see any gum on the floor, althouh my husband did step in some on the shopping trip to the posh outdoor mall at Stanford we visited prior to our trip

Traffic was heavy, but not as aggresive as I remembered

Shop assistants were really lovely everywhere I went, customer service has definately picked up but hasn't got to the stupid American stage of hovering on your shoulder.

Every meal we had was good, inluding the pub food althouh I did get stung for paying for breakfast in the hotel when I thought it was free:frown: Sausages were lovely though, and HP on the table:)

I was also expecting loads of graffiti, broken glass, drunks in town on a night, teenage gangs. I witnessed none of this and our home city where we were staying is a fairly common place, certainly on the lower end of the posh meter.

My last trip back (Oct 2010) was my first in about 6 years. The more tolerable traffic was one big surprise - busy but not scary fast like before. Also, the weather was a shocker - only one day of rain in a week! And the food was a surprise - I ate out every day and had good food in some pretty unexpected places - Scarborough, for example. The COST of eating out was painful, though - more than double what I pay for comparable meals in the US. When I lived there, only London seemed to offer a decent food selection, with vegetables that didn't have the life boiled out of them - so this was a big improvement.

Not enough to make me want to go back, but at least now I don't have to dread a trip when I have to make it!

EnglishTeaDuck Jul 5th 2011 12:49 pm

Wow, its bizarre to me that anyone would dread a trip, I would give anything to go home! Those negative things people have listed are all the things I hate about the town I live in here in America....lol....

Mind you, I work in a laundromat so never mind the dogs, I have to deal with how dirty PEOPLE are all day......:rofl:

Bob Jul 5th 2011 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 9471048)
Things that drove me completely insane on my most recent trip back to the UK:
Dog poop
Gum on pavement
Traffic, traffic and more traffic
The smell of pee when walking past bus shelters etc.
The rain (it rained for 12 days out of 14)
The miserable faces on the shop assistants
Crap hotel/pub food
Having to pay to park everywhere you go

I think that's about it...rant over;)

That's Boston....with fag butts everywhere :D

The dog poop is weird, because I'm seeing that in my town now too...but where we were living, just outside of Boston, there wasn't any, plenty of dog poop bins around.

Popping into Boston, and just realised how many smokers there were too, so weird as you hardly ever see fag butts around where I am, nor where we were living.

nethead Jul 5th 2011 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck (Post 9476337)
Wow, its bizarre to me that anyone would dread a trip, I would give anything to go home! Those negative things people have listed are all the things I hate about the town I live in here in America....lol....
:

Me too. I'd love a trip home....

AlienUk Jul 5th 2011 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9476381)
Popping into Boston, and just realised how many smokers there were too, so weird as you hardly ever see fag butts around where I am, nor where we were living.

All the cokeheads pick them up around here....

CAdreaming Jul 6th 2011 10:14 pm

Just to follow on from my original post :rofl: I saw the rag n bone man today - where was his horse and cart!!!! He arrived in what looked like a spanking new pick up truck and turned his nose up at the tele we had left outside for him and drove of without it!!!! :blink:

Sally Redux Jul 6th 2011 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9479813)
Just to follow on from my original post :rofl: I saw the rag n bone man today - where was his horse and cart!!!! He arrived in what looked like a spanking new pick up truck and turned his nose up at the tele we had left outside for him and drove of without it!!!! :blink:

Last time I saw a rag and bone man (about 20 years ago) they only wanted scrap metal.

coastieexpat Jul 7th 2011 2:27 am

Do you still get free balloons ? We used to up north :)

CAdreaming Jul 7th 2011 7:39 am

Originally Posted by coastieexpat (Post 9480136)
Do you still get free balloons ? We used to up north :)

Free balloons - off the Rag n bone man? :eek:

Captain Cheesestick Jul 7th 2011 11:33 am

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9480484)

Did he put them on a body-part.....? :blink:

elfman Jul 7th 2011 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9476381)

An observation from my trip to London back in March: Both London and New York claim the title of "World Financial Capital" and it seems to be a close thing, but London easily beats New York in the race for "World capital of standing outside the office having a fag".

Daverburgess Jul 7th 2011 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9480484)

My mum used to get a donkey stone...that was many, many years ago.

Miss the UK when applying for a job, all those drop down boxes for the USA school you never went to and GPA scores...pain in the neck and I do miss meeting other people who know the difference between a cask beer and a Miller/Bud and especially not walking into a bar in town and feeling naked as I'm the only one not wearing a baseball cap.

Bob Jul 7th 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Daverburgess (Post 9481994)
... and I do miss meeting other people who know the difference between a cask beer and a Miller/Bud and especially not walking into a bar in town and feeling naked as I'm the only one not wearing a baseball cap.

You'd like my local then, they've got between 6-10 casks at any one time and 80 odd draft beers on tap...and it's not a sports bar :D

The foods only mediocre though as they're trying to make it a bit more posh than pub grub needs to be...still, best beer around :)

tonrob Jul 7th 2011 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9482183)
You'd like my local then, they've got between 6-10 casks at any one time and 80 odd draft beers on tap...and it's not a sports bar :D

Are you sure it's all cask-conditioned beer? I'm a fairly serious beer head and not heard of anywhere doing more than two or three - even in the big beer destinations, e.g. Portland, Denver, San Diego etc. I seriously doubt anywhere in the US has the cask turnover to keep that number fresh - possibly except if there was a beer festival on or something. 99.99% of US craft beer is sold as keg. There is a nasty trade around for fake beer engines, however.