Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do I know Im back in Blighty?

How do I know Im back in Blighty?

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:19 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I know Im back in Blighty?

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
In effect, yes, indirectly they did, taking everything into account during Liebour's irresponsibly profligate and highly wasteful hand over fist tenure of office during which anti social behaviour spread like an outbreak of bubonic plague and ASBOs became a badge of honour.
You're a halfwit and that's being generous.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
After spending the last 2 years on BE I was all set for this on our recent trip back to England, first time we had been back since leaving nearly 4 years ago.

I didn't see any dog poop on the streets or in the parks we visited and there were plenty of dogs around.

I didn't see any gum on the floor, althouh my husband did step in some on the shopping trip to the posh outdoor mall at Stanford we visited prior to our trip

Traffic was heavy, but not as aggresive as I remembered

Shop assistants were really lovely everywhere I went, customer service has definately picked up but hasn't got to the stupid American stage of hovering on your shoulder.

Every meal we had was good, inluding the pub food althouh I did get stung for paying for breakfast in the hotel when I thought it was free Sausages were lovely though, and HP on the table

I was also expecting loads of graffiti, broken glass, drunks in town on a night, teenage gangs. I witnessed none of this and our home city where we were

staying is a fairly common place, certainly on the lower end of the posh meter.
Glad you had a good time. I wouldn't go back if it wasn't for visiting friends and relatives.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:22 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Glad you had a good time. I wouldn't go back if it wasn't for visiting friends and relatives.
Me neither.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Per my ex-pat husband: Taxi drivers who know where they're goin' People who understand what you're saying when you speak to them nobody saying "you're not from around here, are ya'?" and the sound of a milk float going by in the early hours of the morning with the clinking of bottles. Always knew that nothing drastic had happened overnight and the world was still in one piece. Hearing the announcement that the "train is delayed" due to "the wrong type of snow" or leaves on the line or the late running of a previous service! The curse of the final bell at closing time - the smell of diesel fuel mixed with the scent of rape seed in bloom in the spring. And being told there's an 8-12 week wait for your new 3 piece suite.
Oh god, this made my Sunday morning start with a smile,( without english bacon) thank your hubby!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Me neither.
I have been travelling back and forth to the UK primarily early on to visit family and friends since the early eighties. Back then when visiting I would naturally stay with them all in turn. Of course this meant travelling significant distances in a rented car and ending up returning to work after the "vacation" more knackered than refreshed but at least I only really had the plane ticket and some meals to cover, plus my contribution.

If you are no longer primarily visiting family and friends, traveling yourself as a family with kids, this creates a whole new ball-game of expense. B&Bs are really expensive IF they have family rooms and if you have a separate room for the kids it is typically dearer still so I have not gone that route yet. The ONLY way we make a go of it now is by booking family room specials at Premier Inn and Travelodge (where kids eat free at breakfast) at heavily discounted (non-refundable) prices and build the vacation for the most part around the ability to do that. Renting a car outside of weekend specials also now adds up so rail travel on a railcard (thankyou thetrainline.com) is the typical order of the day.

The visiting family bit now has to be far more carefully staged.

Even with the extra effort put into getting cheap deals, the whole vacation is still eye-wateringly expensive, mainly due to the cost of eating/drinking out since there are only so many picnics in rooms with items bought at the Tesco deli counter or the local Indian/Tandoori one can swing. Access to these delicacies has to be thought about when booking hotel rooms and we are now pretty good at this.

At least we are talking $1.60 right now but at $2.00 to the pound as back in late 2007 and no pressure on prices things were REALLY grim.

I know I'm back in Blighty when the wallet haemorrhages cash.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jul 3rd 2011 at 11:51 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:04 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Manson?
Adams?
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:35 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Adams?
I've just spoored myself. It still smells like shit though.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:17 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Do you have to be so crude? This is a family website. Faeces, excrement, even spoor would have sufficed.

You are so uncouth. I would recommend finding a finishing school. There are many in your area.
Does your fucking head in doesn't it?
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
very generous..
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
very generous..
Must be a special 4th of July promotion.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:57 pm
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Does your fucking head in doesn't it?
He reminds me of someone.

Sean Penn.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

C'mon, guys......
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
C'mon, guys......
Yeah, exactly... bunch of faggots!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yeah, exactly... bunch of faggots!
Faggots don't come in bunches - they usually come in packs, ready prepared for cooking. At least they do here in Britain as they are the only faggots we have in this country AFAIK, not that I find them all that tasty or appealing, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHbWHGVYaU&feature=fvst
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
He's the kind of guy who'd be a birther if he lived over here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.