Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do i found a job as a social worker in U.S.

How do i found a job as a social worker in U.S.

Old Aug 30th 2012, 4:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do i found a job as a social worker in U.S.

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I agree - and didn't mean to sound like I was berating the OP.

All I was attempting to do was highlight another of the difficulties that may be faced if this was to be continued.
Keep in mind that posters here are sometimes using electronic devices to respond to posts. Those are hard to use effectively; they auto-correct and it's hard to use punctuation correctly on them. What you see typed here is not necessarily an indication of the poster's English fluency.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:26 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Hell, her English is better than half the people on this forum who form plurals with an apostrophe and don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
You're post's are wicked innit.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
All I was attempting to do was highlight another of the difficulties that may be faced if this was to be continued.
Honestly, that would be the least of her problems.

In the unlikely event that she was able to get an appropriate visa then I really don't think that her English language skills would even be an issue.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister is a social worker. She has a PhD and I think most social workers have at least a Master's. Language may not be the issue, but cultural background is. My sister's in Texas. She does not work with Hispanics (though she speaks Spanish fluently) because she is not "culturally qualified" - same with African Americans.

For social work as well, the social worker has to be intimately acquainted with all social services - and I don't think somebody from Europe would be. Plus, you need to be familiar with American law - social workers are frequently called on to act as advocates in court actions. Plus, the pay is terrible! My sister always says that you need an awful lot of schooling to earn an awfully tiny salary!

Last edited by Ailidh; Sep 8th 2012 at 1:31 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ailidh
My sister is a social worker. She has a PhD and I think most social workers have at least a Master's. Language may not be the issue, but cultural background is. My sister's in Texas. She does not work with Hispanics (though she speaks Spanish fluently) because she is not "culturally qualified" - same with African Americans.

For social work as well, the social worker has to be intimately acquainted with all social services - and I don't think somebody from Europe would be. Plus, you need to be familiar with American law - social workers are frequently called on to act as advocates in court actions. Plus, the pay is terrible! My sister always says that you need an awful lot of schooling to earn an awfully tiny salary!
I am a social worker with a Masters Degree and a specialization in mental health. I work with African Americans, Hispanics, all ethnicities actually. All social work programs now require at least a semester of Human Diversity so graduates now have the ability to work with everyone.

Regarding being intimately acquainted with all social services... I would disagree with that. It's on the job training. One just have to be familiar with social services in the US. The intimate training comes from being on the job. As someone who recently graduated in May 2012, I can attest to this (trial by fire I suppose lol) I think the reverse is true also (I'm looking to return home to the UK and am now familiarizing myself with British laws regarding social care and applying to the HCPC)

Where I do agree with you however, is that the pay does SUCK! A two year vigorous Masters degree for such a small salary. The only silver lining is that someone with a Masters degree can become a therapist (LCSW) in two years in the US(which is what I want to do).
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

dragon1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brigette
I am a social worker with a Masters Degree and a specialization in mental health. I work with African Americans, Hispanics, all ethnicities actually. All social work programs now require at least a semester of Human Diversity so graduates now have the ability to work with everyone.

Regarding being intimately acquainted with all social services... I would disagree with that. It's on the job training. One just have to be familiar with social services in the US. The intimate training comes from being on the job. As someone who recently graduated in May 2012, I can attest to this (trial by fire I suppose lol) I think the reverse is true also (I'm looking to return home to the UK and am now familiarizing myself with British laws regarding social care and applying to the HCPC)

Where I do agree with you however, is that the pay does SUCK! A two year vigorous Masters degree for such a small salary. The only silver lining is that someone with a Masters degree can become a therapist (LCSW) in two years in the US(which is what I want to do).

I worked as a Social Worker for 7 years in NYC. You need a Masters degree and then need to sit for the State exam to be Certified in the State that you are working in. I did Medical SW, which is mainly discharge planning when a patient leaves hospital. It was bloody hard work, stressful and poorly paid, but at times quite exciting. There were days when I felt that I was in an episode of Law and Order!! After 7 years I burnt out completely though and gave up the profession.