Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

How do i found a job as a social worker in U.S.

How do i found a job as a social worker in U.S.

Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Gabbi is an unknown quantity at this point
Post How do i found a job as a social worker in U.S.

Hello everyone.
My name is Gabriella and I am currently in the process of educating myself to a social worker. I would like when I'm done in 2 years work in the U.S. as a social worker. My question to you is how do I apply for a job as a social worker and what is necessary for me to know before. I expect that I would like to work for 1 - 1 ½ years.

Kind Regards Gabriella
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: How do i found a job as a social worker in U.S.

btw i'm from Denmark
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753211
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

thanks!

But i was more thinking about which pages i could search on etc.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe start here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabbi
Hello everyone.
My name is Gabriella and I am currently in the process of educating myself to a social worker. I would like when I'm done in 2 years work in the U.S. as a social worker. My question to you is how do I apply for a job as a social worker and what is necessary for me to know before. I expect that I would like to work for 1 - 1 ½ years.

Kind Regards Gabriella
You are very unlikely to get a County/City authority to sponsor (pay for a work visa) for a newly qualified Social worker when the county/cities are laying off workers at the moment due to the economic downturn.

Even if the economy changes I don't think that Social worker qualifies for a work visa option.

You could try Googling Social Worker US to see if any relevant pages comes up.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a US citizen, then whatever state certification the state you want to live in has.

If you're not a US citizen or LPR already, then you've got no chance.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your answers, i appreciate .

Even though some af you says that I dont have a change, i'll try anyway. If it does not succeed, then i'll try Great Britain
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You really have no chance.

But...I'm curious as to why you'd want to work somewhere that you appear to have difficulty speaking (or writing) the language? Potential employers (even if the visa requirements COULD be met, which is virtually impossible) would be far more likely to consider a candidate that could easily communicate with, especially in social work!
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:33 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Guindalf
You really have no chance.

But...I'm curious as to why you'd want to work somewhere that you appear to have difficulty speaking (or writing) the language? Potential employers (even if the visa requirements COULD be met, which is virtually impossible) would be far more likely to consider a candidate that could easily communicate with, especially in social work!
That seems a little uncalled for. Her writing is vastly superior to the British native "I wanna moov to Flo-Rida becoz diznee world was amaaaaazzzzing!!1!!" crowd.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Kind Regards Gabriella
Finding a job as a social worker is not particularly difficult if you are authorized to work in the US. However, it's highly unlikely that your skills as a social worker would in themselves provide a path to live and work in the US.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.
My question to you is how do I apply for a job as a social worker and what is necessary for me to know before. I expect that I would like to work for 1 - 1 ½ years.

Kind Regards Gabriella
Look at it this way, Gabriella: it would cost an employer thousands of dollars to sponsor you for a visa to work in the United States (if indeed you met the qualifications for a visa), at a time when there are many people out of work that can be hired tomorrow at no additional expense. Why would an employer spend all that money to bring in someone who has only just finished college, has no experience of the local conditions and problems, and only wants to stay around for a year to a year and a half? Social workers are usually employees of local authorities that work to strict budgets and which could not justify the unnecessary expenditure.

However, as you still have a couple of years as a student, perhaps you could look into a program that would bring you to the US for the summer to gain work experience. I'm not up on the various plans, but I believe BUNAC may be one.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 2:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
That seems a little uncalled for. Her writing is vastly superior to the British native "I wanna moov to Flo-Rida becoz diznee world was amaaaaazzzzing!!1!!" crowd.
Hell, her English is better than half the people on this forum who form plurals with an apostrophe and don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:05 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Hell, her English is better than half the people on this forum who form plurals with an apostrophe and don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".
Well said.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I agree - and didn't mean to sound like I was berating the OP.

All I was attempting to do was highlight another of the difficulties that may be faced if this was to be continued.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.